como and RYS in a 2005 CRV

southpawboston

we gave MIL our spare como and RYS for her 2005 CRV. neither seat installed well without using the ability of the back seat recline to apply tension on the carseats.

we installed the como RF for DD2. if i tried to install it with LATCH without fiddling with the vehicle's seatback recline, it installed horribly. way too much sideways movement-- several inches. in order to get it acceptably tight, i had to first recline the vehicle's seatback pretty far, then LATCH in the como as tight as possible, then crank the vehicle seatback upright again, pushing against the como. after that, it was acceptable. not immobile, but less than about 1/4" of movement. that's good enough for me.

for DD1's YS, it wasn't as simple. i had to apply the same technique with the vehicle's seatback, but starting off with a looser LATCH strap. at first, the movement was horrible. not only was there sideways movement, but you could even rotate the YS left and right! then, even when cranking the vehicle's seatback upright against the YS, the front of the YS was slightly lifted off the front of the seat. there was zero movement sideways, but the YS could still rotate slightly. so then i tried the recline feature of the YS. this causes the base to rotate at the rear, pushing the seat up in front. that made the seat rock-the-car-solid, but unfortunately i didn't like how reclined it was. so then, i put it back into regular mode, and loosened the LATCH strap. then i pushed the vehicle's seatback even more upright. NOW it was nice and tight... no movement whatsoever.

if it wasn't for the recline feature of the back seat, there's no way either of these seats would have installed in the CRV. simply no way. but with the seat recline feature, it worked out well.

i never tried using the seatbelts. that may have worked better, but i didn't bother since it worked out okay in the end with LATCH.

ADS

ctevans1

I had to do the same thing in our '05 CRV. The RYS would never have fit without those reclining seats. Our roundabout fit with the seats upright, but with the headrest removed.

Mama!

I installed in a friend's pre latch CRV and it was a nightmare. Nearly impossible to get her kid's crappy old seat in there with those seats.:thumbsdown:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You know, before I even had a hint about carseats, I knew that CR-V recline was 'the trick' to get seats in...I even wrote about it on epinions once (that was my entire review of the car: that the seatback recline was awesome for seat installs, lol)

Glad it worked for ya :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC