RFing tether

Misty-Bug

I was reading a post about RFing top tether.
now I find myself confussed. I would like clarity. I may just not understand. Is it SAFER or NOT to keep my child tethered when RFing.
Should I keep him tethered?
What about my next child? Once they go from the SR to the radian is it ok to tether? Or wait until after a year? Or not at all. I can get a better angle with the tether. But with the Radians you have to use the boot and not the noodles at all.
sigh
lol
I really hope that made sense

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
This is one area that is not cut-and-dried. Some techs think it's safer to tether and will never own a seat without a top tether, some think it doesn't make a difference, and some think it's downright dangerous. Personally I think the RFing tether is a added safety feature and I would use it if you have it. :twocents:

Misty-Bug

see I am worried because I saw the head excursion in that video. That is what has paranoid me now. So maybe I should undo the tether? Or do it when they are older only? Go to a year or so until I tether?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Read the rest of that post with that video, I explain why it's not bad for the head to move. And have you seen the UNtethered ones? way, way, way more movement. Seriously, car companies who provide top tethers for RF WANT YOU to top tether them RF, it's safest. :thumbsup:

Misty-Bug

Read the rest of that post with that video, I explain why it's not bad for the head to move. And have you seen the UNtethered ones? way, way, way more movement. Seriously, car companies who provide top tethers for RF WANT YOU to top tether them RF, it's safest. :thumbsup:

so do you think it would be ok to tether right from the start of using the seat? I planned to use the radian once the baby outgrows the SR. When and if the time comes

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This thread here had a quite in depth discussion about rf tethering
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=39128

I'm of the camp that believes if a seat allows it, do it. But it's not a make or break decision for me. I have 3 seats right now - 2 allow rf tethering and 1 doesn't. I'm using the EFTA which doesn't allow rf tethering rf'ing right now because it's the one I like best.

The most important piece of information I can give is that seats which do allow rf tethering, pass standards both with and without the rf'ing tether. I probably would not rf tether a newborns seat, but by the time a baby is outgrowing the bucket, I'd have no qualms about it. (New Britax manual doesn't allow it to be used rf'ing until babies shoulders are even with the bottoms slots anyways, so most newborns aren't going to be fitting the MA or RA anyways using the new rules.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC