five point harness

U

Unregistered

My grand-daughter weighs 46Ibs, my ex-son inlaw still has her in a five point harness car seat that states should be converted to a booster seat once the child reaches 40Ibs. I'm really concerned about the safety of my grand-daughter, but I don't know who could help me with this problem. My daughter tried to get her ex to change the seat into a booster, but he still hasn't. Is there any law that states a child of 46Ibs should be in a booster seat?
Thank you
Really worried Grandma

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
No, but there are laws in many states requiring "proper use", which means it is illegal to use a seat not in accordance with the manufacturer's directions.

If he wants to keep her harnessed, we can recommend seats that harness to 65 or 80 pounds.

HEVY

Every state has thier own laws on boosters. Reguardless he should remove the straps and use the booster or buy a car seat that harnesses to a higher weight. It's plain to see it says discontinue harnesses at 40lbs but he doesn't care. There is the point of neglect and endangerment but it doesn't exactly fall under the state laws, more of a family court type thing. :shrug-shoulders:
That might be more trouble than it's worth. Offer to buy another high weight car seat, like the Graco Nautilus, or Britax Regent.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
It's plain to see it says discontinue harnesses at 40lbs but he doesn't care.

I wouldn't go that far at all. Lots of people see the "5-80 pounds" on the box and think it harnesses that long. Plus if someone hears that EH is safer, they might not realize you can only harness past 40 pounds in certain seats, and how dangerous it is to use a seat past it's weight limit.

skaterbabs

My suggestion would be to let your son know how much you appreciate him keeping your grandbaby safe, and that you just heard about this GREAT new seat called the Graco Nautilus that harnesses to 65 pounds! And then becomes a booster! WOW! And it's only $150! What a great seat that would be for grandchild, and does he need help getting that for her since the weight limit on the current seat is so rediculously low?

I'm sure you get the drift, you want him to feel like he's trying to do the right thing (because he is) and that you support his choices (because you do) and you just want to help him keep her safe.

keri1292

How old is your granddaughter? We can suggest a seat that will fit her properly, either a 5 point or a booster. A seat is also outgrown when the shoulders creep above the top harness slots or the tips of the ears are above the shell of the seat, as well as the harness weight.

HEVY

my ex-son inlaw still has her in a five point harness car seat that states should be converted to a booster seat once the child reaches 40Ibs. I'm really concerned about the safety of my grand-daughter, but I don't know who could help me with this problem. My daughter tried to get her ex to change the seat into a booster, but he still hasn't.

I based that comment on this, she mentioned that the seat states it and the dd tried to get the ex to change it. I assumed he was shown.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I based that comment on this, she mentioned that the seat states it and the dd tried to get the ex to change it. I assumed he was shown.

Just my experience: I have a neighbor/friend whom I noticed was still harnessing her well over 40lb son in a combo booster. So I asked his weight and then told her that the harness is only rated to 40lbs, check the manual, etc. This person has a Master's Degree and a high powered federal government job...she absolutely knows how to read a manual! LOL And she told me that her manual was very vague about when to stop using the harness. Now, I know that's not likely to be true...but when someone wants to believe something it's not often possible to change their minds. If the ex in this case doesn't have a good relationship with the baby's mom then he might not be listening to a thing she says and perhaps wouldn't let her show him anything. Sounds to me like perhaps he's trying to be a good dad (keeping kiddo harnessed) and grandma offering to buy a Nautilus might be a great idea.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
If the ex in this case doesn't have a good relationship with the baby's mom then he might not be listening to a thing she says and perhaps wouldn't let her show him anything. Sounds to me like perhaps he's trying to be a good dad (keeping kiddo harnessed) and grandma offering to buy a Nautilus might be a great idea.

My point exactly! :thumbsup: No sense ASSuming people don't care, when obviously he does or else he wouldn't be bothering with even putting her in a seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC