Monterey or ????

mwoc

I would really like some advice from you smart people! I have 3 DS, one is almost 8, 50# and 50 inches tall, and twin DS who are 6 and are 49" and 48 lbs (might as well all be triplets!).

They are currently in Regents. We have 4 of them (3 in the van and one in the other car). They are just moving to the top slot. Now the dilemma.

Last summer we travelled on a plane and I brought 3 Regents with us (checked) as I don't trust car rental car seats. Of course when we arrived in Boston in the middle of the summer and I had to install 3 of these rather large seats in a hot rental car safely and expeditiously it was not a pleasant experience. We plan on traveling more this summer and will be taking a long trip with multiple airline and car rental stops. I don't want to lug these seats again.

I think our boys are big enough and mature enough to ride in boosters, but I've come to learn/believe that 5 point is still a safer option so keeping them in the Regent *seems* safer. That said, I would consider moving them to a high back booster like the Monterey. I like the fact that I can remove the back from the Monterey and possibly fit them inside of a suitcase for travel. Also obviously 'installing' them in rental cars is much easier than the Regent.

So I'm looking for advice on the 5 pt harness vs. booster with kids that are my sons' ages as well as the 'portability' of the Monterey vs. other high back boosters.

Thank you!!!!

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Holy cow, you travelled by air with 3 Regents?? :bow:

At 8 and 6, and since you won't be using carseats on the plane, I'd look at the Ride Safer Travel Vests. They are pretty impressive IRL (I wasn't sure just by looking at pics online!) Very easy to pack and transport, and they should fit easily in any rental vehicle.

The only downside would be the lack of SIP, but you could just make sure you get a rental with side-curtain airbags.

mwoc

Yes when I curb checked the 3 car seats(along with the rest of the luggage for 5 people for 2 1/2 weeks) the porter gave me a look :eek: The decision was the lesser of 2 evils - renting car seats or bringing these!

I looked at the ride safe vest, but wasn't thrilled about the lack of SIP. I figured if I lugged Regents around, surely I could lug booster seats!!

Thank you for your reply!

Defrost

What about the 86Y with boosters? I know some members on here use this combo. Could this be an easier + safer option?

The 86Y + booster hasn't been shown to be any safer than a booster alone, when the booster is used with a child mature enough to properly use the booster. It's also a right pain in the rear to use with a lap/shoulder seatbelt.

Boosters alone should be fine for her kids. The 86Y + booster is best for lap-only belts when the child cannot use a HWH carseat, or for special-needs kids.

jplain

In addition, the 86-Y requires you to use a special tether kit if the child is over the car manufacturer's weight limit for the tether anchors. Unfortunately, I doubt the car rental company would consider it "value added" if you drilled holes in their vehicles to install new anchors. :D

What about the Compass 510 booster? They don't LATCH and don't have torso wings. But they are lightweight, fold for travel, and you can get a carrying case. (Or the premium version comes with the case.) I don't have one yet, but I've read good reviews here. Check Shopping and Deals for a half-off coupon code good this week.

Defrost

In addition, the 86-Y requires you to use a special tether kit if the child is over the car manufacturer's weight limit for the tether anchors. Unfortunately, I doubt the car rental company would consider it "value added" if you drilled holes in their vehicles to install new anchors. :D

Good point! Though at her kids' current weights, she could still use the factory tether anchors on some vehicles. Ford, for example, allows up to 80 lbs for harnesses.

sarsah

The Monterey is a huge & heavy booster seat (I had flashbacks to DS's Husky when I opened the box), but very nice and seems to be very high quality. I don't know that it would be a lot easier to travel with unless you used them without the back. It would be much easier to install in a rental car, however, than the "Regent. The Compass B510 booster is much more portable (I have both a Monterey and a Compass), but the Compass is a shorter seat. My DS is 54" tall (short torso, long legs) and just about too tall for the Compass. He has some good growing room in the Monterey.

I'm not familiar with cars other than Honda/Acura, but don't most new model cars come standard with side curtain airbags? If you're renting with a major company (Hertz, Avis, Budget, etc.), they tend to have new model cars so you should get one with side curtain air bags.

Sarah.......

mwoc

Well I decided to get the Monterey. While they are still not 'portable' at least the seat can come apart and go flat and hopefully fit 2 in a big suitcase and then one more by itself in a suitcase. Since the Regent is 26+ pounds going to the Monterey will be a breeze!:D

That said, the important thing is having a safe, secure seat for our kids. I ordered 4 seats from Elite yesterday and they should be arriving next Wed! (3 for my wife's Honda Odyssey and one for my car.

There have been lots of pictures posted already, but if anyone is interested in how we put 3 into the Odyssey I'd be happy to post them. I'm a little concerned about not being able to latch the seat that's in the 3rd row. What's the general rule about that? I'd rather it not become a projectile God forbid in a crash.

Thanks again for your help!

Matt

melniemi

Pictures are always great! If you have a booster that is latchable or not in a seat position without latch, you should seatbelt the booster in when not in use. That will keep it from becoming a projectile. When a child is in the booster and seatbelted in, it will not become a projectile then either. I'm sure that part you knew, but :p So if 2 of your Monterey's are latched in, you'll only have to buckle one in when they are not occupied.
Hope that helps!

Defrost

I'm a little concerned about not being able to latch the seat that's in the 3rd row. What's the general rule about that? I'd rather it not become a projectile God forbid in a crash.

You can prevent it becoming a projectile in a crash (which you are right to be concerned about - it's a very real risk!) simply by buckling it when not in use. Many parents here teach their children to re-buckle the booster every time they get out. Once they've got in the habit, it's pretty quick - just unbuckle, keep hold of the seat belt while they get out, then re-buckle it. It's not as convenient as it would be if it were just permanently LATCHed, but it does work. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC