spin off from 'got our radian today!' still needing some help....(lots of pics)

ProudMomof5

~I sincerely apologize for the size of these pictures. Photobucket hates me and will not let me resize them... it closes out the window everytime I try. So hopefully a mod or someone can resize them for me.
Thanks.

Okay first of all I installed the new radian in the center 3rd row seat of our 98 Ford expedition.
My first question is about the buckle... is this okay? I tried to twist it and its very short. This is the only way I could get the seat installed in very solid, but wasn't sure if it would hold. Its a lap belt that does not lock. I didn't try and twist the seatbelt, just the buckle part, but this was the result, its not actually twisted all the way around, just about halfway.
carseatpictures005.jpg

carseatpictures003.jpg

Here it is next to our recaro vivo booster. No room whatsoever. We have two boosters to choose from this one and the turbo booster for our older daughter.
carseatpictures006.jpg

up close, no way she is going to be able to buckle that
carseatpictures007.jpg

here is the up close of the turbo next to the radian... better but still very hard to stick her hand in there... probably not possible
carseatpictures013.jpg

here is the turbo on the other side... it does fit with out falling off, which surprised me... she may be able to lean to the side to buckle and then scoot it back, only she has a hard time scooting the whole seat into the correct place once she is in it - so I don't like that idea. If we use a booster on this side, then we'll have to fit a regular 5pt harness carseat on the other side where you see the recaro *** we are not using 2 boosters at this time
carseatpictures010.jpg

This is how much space I have to fit our evenflo generations (or another radian if I get one)..... (because I need 2 5pts back there and one booster)
carseatpictures008.jpg

the evenflo is this big.. you can see it, and the spot it will need to go in when the baby is born - its not going to fit - but another radian might
carseatpictures009.jpg

Here is the radian installed outboard. Obviously this works nicely because then my other daughter will have no problem buckling in the recaro or turbo... but I still need another car seat in the middle...a radian would fit (it looks like) but that still leaves the buckling problem in the booster
carseatpictures014.jpg

Now, we do have another daughter that is RF in a scenera... I really really don't want her back there....... but I haven't tried to see if it will work. I wanted to have her (she'll be 21mos when the baby is born) and the baby in the middle row, closest to me.

What would you do? I think a parkway booster would work since it doesn't have armrests.... or so I have heard... but those are discontinued right? Not only that but I really really don't want to HAVE to buy another booster (we JUST bought the evenflo, recaro AND now the radian - plus we'll probably need another radian) But if that is the only way... then I'll just let someone else tell my DH. lol...
I have to make this work by July.
Help!

ADS

ProudMomof5

here are my stats...
DD1 - 9 years 55lbs - booster
DD2 - 6 years 37lbs - radian
DD3 - 3 years 33lbs - evenflo generations
DD4 - 18 mos 24lbs - RF scenera
DS - due 7/27/08 - graco snugride

TerisBoys

If you DO decide to go with another booster - try a FPSV booster from Albeebaby.com ($29.99) or a StarRiser/COmfy from BabyAge ($39.99). Both adjust VERY narrow.

We tried a Parkway next to an Evenflo Tribute RF in Faeanne's van and it would not fit. The FPSV and SR/C do. Bucking is still tight, but easier.

Both seats were last made in 2006, but they've been considerably discounted to reflect that (both were approx $100 new).

my3girls

I am VERY interested in your Radian/Expedition fit!! My SIL has twins that are ready to move into convertibles and she wants them side by side in the 2nd row so the passenger outboard seat can still be flipped down or she could sit in that spot. She either drives a 98 or 99. I had read another thread where someone was trying to fit the Radian in the center of the 2nd row and said FF it was a no-go, but RF was fine. Let me know how things work out!! THANKS!!! :love:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
About the buckling issue - is it tight the way you have it in the pictures? It looks about like mine does when I install it in the Astro van (about the same type of lap-only belt.) BTW, the lap belt does "lock," it has a locking latchplate, so I'm guessing you mean it doesn't lock at the retractor, right?

When twisting the buckle stalk, try starting your twist deep in the seat, below that sewn part. I get my first twist down there, and then twist the part above the sewn area. That usually gives me an extra twist on short buckle stalks. Doing that should pull the latchplate down even lower.

ProudMomof5

I am VERY interested in your Radian/Expedition fit!! My SIL has twins that are ready to move into convertibles and she wants them side by side in the 2nd row so the passenger outboard seat can still be flipped down or she could sit in that spot. She either drives a 98 or 99. I had read another thread where someone was trying to fit the Radian in the center of the 2nd row and said FF it was a no-go, but RF was fine. Let me know how things work out!! THANKS!!! :love:

I'd say in the second row - no problem!!!! Right now I have the evenflo generations ---- its soooo stinking wide - the radian fits INSIDE it- easily... next to a RF cosco scenera... which is probably a little wider than the radian. And we have the one seat down that you are talking about.... so I'd say they'd fit, I haven't tried, but if my extremely wide evenflo can fit next to anything, I am sure the radians would fit there. Now as far as installing it in the middle/2nd row, I don't know about that. Its a locking lapbelt and we did have a hard time getting the evenflo in solid. My DH had to use all his muscles and do it. lol. I'd try it for you ,but I don't want to take that evenflo out because I don't have DH here to put it back in for me. :) So, I am not 100% sure on that one... I am sure its possible though.... ??? maybe someone else with an expedition can help with that... there are a couple other people on here with expeditions and radians.

In the 3rd row, you can see the install I have in the middle and outboard, both are rock solid... it was a little bit of a challenge.. but not too bad. The only thing I was wondering about was how the seatbelt was in the middle seat back there.

Last edited:

ProudMomof5

About the buckling issue - is it tight the way you have it in the pictures? It looks about like mine does when I install it in the Astro van (about the same type of lap-only belt.) BTW, the lap belt does "lock," it has a locking latchplate, so I'm guessing you mean it doesn't lock at the retractor, right?

When twisting the buckle stalk, try starting your twist deep in the seat, below that sewn part. I get my first twist down there, and then twist the part above the sewn area. That usually gives me an extra twist on short buckle stalks. Doing that should pull the latchplate down even lower.

Yes, its very tight, and I did mean it doesn't lock at the retractor. Thanks. :)
I'll have to try twisting it deeper in the seat... its just extremely short as it is.. but I haven't tried that yet.
thanks.

Tara

Yeah what Debbie said about twisting the stalk.

And on a side note, I just have to get this out...
I honestly chuckled out loud when I saw the ratchet strap in the back pocket. Was there not one of those in MY Expedition pictures too? There usually is LOL I can't keep the things put away, darn that hubby and his 'projectiles' :p

I'll see if I can get out there and take a pic of our 3rd row center Radian/Exp. install, buckle position deal for ya.

And I can vouch for the rf in middle 2nd row OK and ff middle, 2nd row, not so much. But we didn't work at it much. Hub gave it a try. I wasn't worried about it because I knew where it would be going...3rd row center...I just had to go ahead and give the other spot a try for giggles. He said rf was a breeze, ff didn't wanna happen.

I've not messed with it much myself. Isn't that sad?

Anywho...pictures...ok...soon.

Tara

Ok, just for comparison, here's what my buckle looks like:

DSC_2237-1.jpg

DSC_2238-1.jpg

DSC_2239-1.jpg

DSC_2240.jpg

There's no twist in my stalk nor on the latchplate end.

ProudMomof5

Thanks for the pics, I don't know why your seatbelt looks so different than mine! I tried to keep it "straighter" like that, but it just wouldn't work for me. I wish you were here so you could get it to work for me, haha..

I went back and looked at your pictures you posted of all the carseats in your 3rd row and it looks to me that on the drivers outboard side our your 3rd row, the seat doesn't touch the side of the vehicle... am I right? In ours the seat goes all the way over... like the wheel well doesn't get in the way on that side... so I can't let the seat overhang at all. (look at the pic of your orange parkway, its hanging over some)
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=41745 post #7

here is what mine looks like on that side
carseatpictures017.jpg

carseatpictures016.jpg

Otherwise the other side (outboard passenger side) looks the same.
I wish we had that little bit of extra room, it would help!

my3girls

Well, I just don't know.... SIL said she wants them side by side, but I know for a fact they need to be carseats that are easy to install. Since the babies were born I've been talking to them when I could about seats, and helped them get the SnugRide bases in tight, but BIL is the one doing the installing and he thinks just strapping a seatbelt over it is enough. Anyway Marathons would fit next to each other on 2/3 of the 2nd bench? The other reason I wanted the Radians was for their low profile, SIL is 5'1" or 5'2", and I was hoping the babies would be able to climb into their own seats sooner rather than later. THANKS for any help, sorry to threadjack a bit!!

ps - I LUV the color combo of your Recaro, do you like the seatbelt guides on it, especially the lower ones?

Tara

Yeah, wow, that is interesting.
But, then you would think you would have MORE seat room than I do and therefore your Vivo would have a bit extra and it would mesh nicely with the Radian. Right? Sounds logical enough huh? Geesh. Are we going to have to get out our tape measures here? That is just weird! Both '98s hmmm So weird.

ProudMomof5

Yeah, wow, that is interesting.
But, then you would think you would have MORE seat room than I do and therefore your Vivo would have a bit extra and it would mesh nicely with the Radian. Right? Sounds logical enough huh? Geesh. Are we going to have to get out our tape measures here? That is just weird! Both '98s hmmm So weird.

You'd think so. Huh.
Well, actually the vivo does mesh nicely... its just TOO snug... no hand space to buckle! argh. Its so annoying!

I did measure, lol... and I got about 47 inches. I measured more on the front of the seat, in front of the car seats.

I was thinking that the space you have there would be nice because it gives just a little bit of leeway to let the carseat hang over just a bit. LOL

ps - I LUV the color combo of your Recaro, do you like the seatbelt guides on it, especially the lower ones?

I love it too... its girly but not too much pink. :) I LOVE the seatbelt guides. They are great for putting the lapbelt in the exact right position. It is a little harder to buckle according to my girls, but they can do it still.
I just hope I don't have to replace this seat because of how big it is.. I really do like it alot.

ProudMomof5

Well, the scenera does NOT fit RF in between the recaro and radian. I am so frustrated.
Even if I get another radian, my oldest DD is still not going to be able to buckle in the recaro or turbo booster.
This is so frustrating.

What would you all do, looking at the pictures that I have... in my situation, with my kids, in my vehicle.
What carseats would you use? I am to the point that if I had to buy all new carseats I'd feel better than I am feeling now.... my body is killing me from installing and reinstalling carseats. Pregnancy is not nice to me. I am emotionally drained as well. Thank God I have 3 more mos to figure this out. I just need to asap for my own sanity.

BW1426

That Evenflo looks like a beast of a carseat. I'm wondering, if a 5 point that sat up on a base would allow your daughter to buckle her booster easier. I was thinking a Marathon or an EFTA. The Marathon and Radian Mesh really well when they are both facing the same direction, I wonder if the same would be true with the EFTA. It could be worth a try and in that case I'd go radian, EFTA/Marathon, Vivo.

Also, what ages are your kids?

ProudMomof5

That Evenflo looks like a beast of a carseat. I'm wondering, if a 5 point that sat up on a base would allow your daughter to buckle her booster easier. I was thinking a Marathon or an EFTA. The Marathon and Radian Mesh really well when they are both facing the same direction, I wonder if the same would be true with the EFTA. It could be worth a try and in that case I'd go radian, EFTA/Marathon, Vivo.

Also, what ages are your kids?

That evenflo IS a beast. LOL.
There just isn't much room at all inbetween those two seats... and the armrest/belt guide on the vivo just don't leave a lot of room. :(

The stats of my kids are down below. Thanks. :)

here are my stats...
DD1 - 9 years 55lbs - booster
DD2 - 6 years 37lbs - radian
DD3 - 3 years 33lbs - evenflo generations
DD4 - 18 mos 24lbs - RF scenera
DS - due 7/27/08 - graco snugride

BW1426

Oops, I completely missed the post with the stats. I think that I would go to your local Walmart/Kmart/Target/etc and get an Evenflo EFTA to try out in the back seat. If it doesn't work out, it's easy to return and you're not out any money. I really think a seat with a base would help out with the buckling issue.

Tara

But then if she has a seat with a base in the middle of the third row...that blocks a lot of that rear window view. Frustrating.
I had a MA between 2 boosters back there..I was ever so thankful to get that Radian in the middle!!
Just something else to think about there. I mean, I know, if you gotta get a seat with a base, that's what you gotta do. Just throwing that out there so you're not smacked with that realization later..after another seat purchase :p

Can you do Generations/Radian/Scenera in the 3rd row?
Booster and baby in SR in the 2nd row?

Just wondered if you had toyed with that any..getting the booster out of the 3rd row.
I know that leaves a lot of harnessed kids in the very back to deal with, but, can't the 6 yr old take care of herself well enough? And the 9 yr old can certainly help with things too. It doesn't take anything for a child to turn around and help with a buckle or two. :) Then mom can just double check without nearly as much effort.

ProudMomof5

But then if she has a seat with a base in the middle of the third row...that blocks a lot of that rear window view. Frustrating.
I had a MA between 2 boosters back there..I was ever so thankful to get that Radian in the middle!!

Can you do Generations/Radian/Scenera in the 3rd row?
Booster and baby in SR in the 2nd row?

Just wondered if you had toyed with that any..getting the booster out of the 3rd row.
I know that leaves a lot of harnessed kids in the very back to deal with, but, can't the 6 yr old take care of herself well enough? And the 9 yr old can certainly help with things too.

Yeah I thought about that.. having a radian in the middle is going to make it hard enough to see out that window... honestly I don't think a higher up seat would help that much with buckling anyway... only becuase of how high the sides of the booster go... IDK!

I have thought of having the 3 harnessed seats back there.... especially once the 18m old is FF. I might turn her at 2 years (3 mos after the baby is born) because of how much of a pain this all is. I know that sounds terrible of me.... but if I am this stressed about it now.... then again by then I may have a set up that works pretty well for us.
I think I will still need another radian.... that evenflo seriously IS a beast... it probably still wouldn't fit. My goodness. So it'd be scenera, radian, radian..

IDK! My 6 year old can barely buckle herself in the radian.... but my 9 year old would be a lot of help.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I don't know what I will do if we have a 6th child.......

Tara

I don't think you can go wrong with getting another Radian. I know I know...you just didn't want to HAVE to go there, after all that other purchasing. But...at least you'd be "done" for a while eh?

Keep working with the 6 yr old on her buckling. Hopefully she'll have it figured out well soon and could be of more help with the youngers. But at least if she can tend to herself in the back row and get the 9 yr old to help with the younger two back there.

Oh and the Radian isn't bad on the rear view at all. Yeah, it pokes up there a wee bit, but really, I hardly notice it...between those 2 Parkways. It was a WORLD of difference coming from the MA! Wow!

Oh, again, hehe On the 18 mo old...you could access that one rf from the back window ;) Put her in the 3rd row, driver's outboard position. 9yr old could lean over and help and/or one could access through the back window. Just to eek you out a little more rf time ;)

And what would you do if you had a 6th? Um, well, first you'd fix the seat belt in the flip down seat.....

LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC