What could it be?

Sarabela

We do not loosen the straps when taking the boys out of their boulevards usually. Once in a while when we go to put one of them in the seat the harness will seem way too tight so I will check the straps from top to bottom and make sure they aren't twisted and everything seems to be fine so I end up deciding that someone (one of the kids) tugged on the adjuster strap and tightened it and I'll loosen it so it fits snugly but then next time I go to put that child in the seat it seems way too loose so something must be wrong when this happens. It has happened a few times now. I also rarely remove the seats and it does not occur after reinstalling, it has happened when the seats had not been removed. Any ideas what it could be that is making it seem too tight? It is not caused by clothing because I always take heavy stuff off like coats when they go in the seats. When it happened the other day DH and I just decided if it happens again we have to take the child out and check the seat out then try putting them back in until we figure out what is causing it.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Since even children can fluctuate in weight and definitely change seating position from day to day (or even trip to trip) I find that harness fit changes as well. If the harness was consistently getting looser between trips, I would worry, but since it sometimes gets tighter, I'd say there is nothing at all wrong with your seat. Just keep being diligent about making sure the harness is fit correctly every trip and you should be fine. Personally, I loosen my kids harness all the way out each time they get out, and tighten when they get in. I find it much easier to get them buckled up this way.

Last edited:

mom23boys

Our son just moved outo f his BLvd. Sometimes i would notice that he was slumped down more and then the straps would be looser and if he sat more upright they would be tighter! All depended on how he dedided to sit!

southpawboston

i also happen to think that kids "settle" differently in their seats each time they get in. especially with highly padded seats or seats with grippy microfiber covers, their geometry may be a little different each time they get in the seat. that's why i always loosen when i get them out and then tighten them each time they get in. that way it's custom tailored to each car trip :).

4boysmom

I assume your children are not potty trained since they are just under two? The situation in their diaper or lack of may make a difference as well. Especially if you cloth diaper using different brands/types, but even with disposibles I imagine their may be a difference if you don't catch a pee (and yes mine have peed from the walk to the van from the house or even peed after a change 30 seconds before in the back of the van, some times we notice some times we don't). We have found differences just in outfits, it doesn't even have be be about coat or no coat. pants and a long shirt can take up a different amount of space then a romper...

natysr

I am always changing the tighten on Jordan's harness.

Even something as slight as him wearing Jeans instead of Pants or Shorts can make a difference. Also, if he has recently eaten or not.

If we are going out the eat, I can guarantee you 9 out of 10 times I will have to loosen his harness just to get him bucked on the trip home.

I also agree that their posture in the seat can make a difference.

For me, I never loosen the harness to get him out. When I put him back in, If I can get the harness buckled, I'll give the adjuster a tug for good measure. If I can't, then I loosen it, buckle him, then retighten.

Sarabela

Thanks everyone. Natalie that is exactly what I do. 4boysmom you do have a point there. I do CD most of the time but once in a while they are in disposables. It just felt to me that the harness had to be caught on something because of the huge difference and it would be with one child and not the other yet they are always wearing similar diapers/clothing so I would think if it happened with 1 it would happen with the other. I will just need to check it out carefully whenever it happens.

crunchierthanthou

I try not to loosen the harness unless I absolutely have to. In addition to the thickness of his clothes, the ability to buckle the harness varies with the angle of ds's hips. It's harder to buckle if he's knees are up. He's learned to drop his knees to the sides until I get the crotch buckle done; there's a lot less squeezing that way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC