The Monterey is the Nirvana of boosters!

ZephyrBlue

Okay, this is seriously the best booster seat I've ever seen or played with. It's sturdy, the width of both base and backrest is easy to adjust, it's so well-made and the material is super nice. My DD loves it. The belt guide actually keeps the belt in place, too, which is really good. It adjusts really wide for larger kids- I fit in the seat with room to spare (I'm 5'1", 105lbs). The headwings are supportive and protective without being restrictive. I'll post pics tomorrow of it in the van. Oh, the LATCH connection is neat, but I thought it would make the seat rock solid like a regular car seat, but there is still lots of play (the manual says that there will be movement), which is fine, since it's only to keep the seat from launching around. Definately worth the price, IMO. :thumbsup:

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Oh, the LATCH connection is neat, but I thought it would make the seat rock solid like a regular car seat, but there is still lots of play (the manual says that there will be movement), which is fine, since it's only to keep the seat from launching around. Definately worth the price, IMO. :thumbsup:

Glad to hear you like it. :D

I'm not too surprised it's not rock solid. Dave had really made it sound in chat like the only purpose to the LATCH was to prevent a projectile - thus why non-standard spacing is ok with the Monterey and not the Radian. :thumbsup:

So, do we get to see pic's? :cool::whistle:

Stretchy Glue

:crying: I want my seat. Anytime in the next week I should get it but still. I can't complain for the price, but still...I want my seat:(

mom23boys

I called Sunshine kids and the pink monterey has the very soft material all over but the all grey and the red/grey combo both have that mesh in the center!!! I really wish it was soft all over! Please post pics!!! I am trying to decide if I should order this for our almost 8 tear old and then pass it down to 4 year old later! Can you tell me how many yrs this seat is good for??

BookMama

Senior Community Member
What is the height to the bottom of the belt guides, in the highest position? A mom on another board is getting just 19.5 with hers, but I thought it was supposed to be the tallest booster out there. :confused: 19.5" is shorter than the Parkway, I believe.

ginny4

What is the height to the bottom of the belt guides, in the highest position? A mom on another board is getting just 19.5 with hers, but I thought it was supposed to be the tallest booster out there. :confused: 19.5" is shorter than the Parkway, I believe.

i'm getting mine today i'll let you know what i find out

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Thanks Ginny. I have no interest in buying one but am curious. Seems like both of the hotly anticipated seats that just came out have disappointed (Frontier) or may disappoint (Monterrey, if it has 19.5" max height).

Hi,

I am the one on the other board who's DS does not fit this! Could you please measure yours, the interior seat to the bottom of the seat belt guide. And take a pic of it in the heighest setting.

My DS is 8 yrs old, 56" tall, 87 lbs & 19.5" torso. He is at the belt guides or a tiny bit above & the manual says it needs to be 1 cm above the shoulders.

Thanks, Jamie

singingpond

In the thread started by 'sarsah' (also here on car seat chat forum), she says 20" to the bottom of the belt guide on the Monterey. I have the same concern, as my DS's Parkway seems to go higher than that. I was considering the Monterey as a possibility as he gets bigger, but what's the point of greater seat depth, or other larger dimensions, if the belt guides aren't higher also?

Katrin

ginny4

Hi,

I am the one on the other board who's DS does not fit this! Could you please measure yours, the interior seat to the bottom of the seat belt guide. And take a pic of it in the heighest setting.

My DS is 8 yrs old, 56" tall, 87 lbs & 19.5" torso. He is at the belt guides or a tiny bit above & the manual says it needs to be 1 cm above the shoulders.

Thanks, Jamie

hi jamie. ginny4 here is the same as lundtv at babycenter. LOL the monterey is out for delievry so i should be getting it soon

of course now i realize you were talking to the OP:doh:

Hi Ginny, I can't wait to see your DS in it too since our boys were almost the same size! I keep hoping there is something mysteriously wrong with mine.

Did you get the red? Still waiting for Russ to email me. Can't recall if you saw the pics I posted on BBC, of the Monarch & Monterey besdie each other. They were almost the same size.

Jamie

ginny4

i did see the pics. so less than impressed.

so much so that i was afriad that getting a parkway might be near impossible soon so i bought a parkway late last night. that is due to arrive on friday.

scatterbunny

As far as quality and construction, I :love: the Monterey. It is somewhat concerning that the belt guide is being measured shorter than the Parkway (seemingly on par with the Monarch, or possibly even the Compass B510 :confused: ). That means it should be shorter than the Recaro Start and Vivo, as well, which is disappointing with the 120 pound weight limit. However, at Lifesavers, Judi and Esther tried Tyler (53-54 inches, too tall for all harnessed seats except the Regent and Roosevelt, about to outgrow many highback boosters, too) in the Monterey and he fit very well, said it was super-comfy, and he had a decent bit of room to grow.

trinityklm

I took a few pics today comparing the Monterey with the Turbo Booster. First, let me say that those "Isofast" LATCH connectors are really hard to undo! There's no red button to release them. You have to dig your fingers in to pull the thing open and then unhook it. I hope this wasn't just a money saving move on SK's part. :(

The pics and measurements are with both seats fully extended

P1030563.jpg

IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g113/trinityklm/Monterey/P1030569.jpg[/IMG]

These measurements are from the seat and angled back a bit to get behind the belt guides:

P1030567.jpg

P1030565.jpg

This picture is from the floor between the two seats. It's a little crooked because it was hard to hold the tape measure and take a picture:

P1030568.jpg

Any other pic requests while I have the seats in the house?

Kari

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC