An INFLATABLE car seat!!

ADS

Mama!

In an emergency, in a fast moving ambulance, with an unconscious mom...sure. I'd be glad they had something.

Mae

Well yeah, it's better than nothing I guess, but how did it pass testing? It could pop or something. :confused:

Mama!

I'd bet its made of super tough super thick vinyl, and is mostly meant to restrain a kid and cushion them from impact. I doubt it'd pop.

Mae

How would you install it? Wouldn't the air just move around inside of it? I'm just so amazed by this thing!

Mae

I know that, it's for in ambulances... but what do they do? Just strap them into the seat?

I'm so confused!!

firemomof3

My husband is a captain on a fire dept. and they have an inflatable car seat. SO tomorrow I'll go and get lots of pictures, stats. and put my 2 younger kids in it with installed so you can see how its used :)

raelynn

Senior Community Member
I have never even heard of an inflatable car seat! the first thing that popped in my mind was how much easier air travel would be, then I saw the ambulance part LOL.

Mae

My husband is a captain on a fire dept. and they have an inflatable car seat. SO tomorrow I'll go and get lots of pictures, stats. and put my 2 younger kids in it with installed so you can see how its used :)

Really!? That would be so cool of you!! :D

My stepdad is a captain too, and I doubt he's heard of it...

fyrfightermomma

The fire dept. I worked for previously had one. It was really pretty neat. Alot more secure than you'd think. It was either this or a type that folds out on the stretcher and you buckle to the stretcher and its makes a 5 pt harness. Very hard to use. So if mom needed the stretcher then we had to use this seat. Ambulances dont have tons of room so this fit the needs of many fire depts that dont have the room for a full size carseat. :)

http://www.allmed.com/catalog/item/192/1190

I HATED that thing! Much prefer the inflatable

southpawboston

supposedly it meets FMVSS213 requirements:

Features and Benefits
Meets or exceeds all FMVSS 213 and FAA standards
Rated for children 20-40 pounds and less than 40” tall
Five point restraint system with pelvic adjustment
NEW front and rear cot harness to securely anchor seat
NEW release valve ensure proper inflation
Adjustable shoulder harness for varying children sizes
Stores in 21” x 14” x 6” padded carrying case
Storage weight - approximately 12 Ibs
Inflates and deflates with included 12v DC pump
2-pole universal plug fits cigarette lighters and
Laerdal® receptacles
Includes corrugated clear plastic inflation hose
Inflation time: approximately 60 seconds
420 denier tri-laminated nylon shell provides maximum strength
Quick and easy removal of stainless steel frame for cleaning
Fabric is stain resistant and can be hand washed and air dried

cpsaddict

I just had to giggle for a second at the image of some random mom on a plane trying to inflate her seat and smothering other passengers. Or when it goes through the scanner machines and inflates and starts sticking out both ends. LOL! Then you have mom screaming, "you popped my car seat!" I know, I know, it's not meant for consumer use and it's better materials than that, but the visuals are cracking me up right now.

U

Unregistered

Inflatable car seat on a plane? Inflate it at ground level and watch it burst as the plane ascends.

Kat_Momof3

It has to be made of some super vinyl... think of inflatable mattresses (the really expensive ones).

I can see the advantages on an ambulance, for sure.

Lea_Ontario

I really wish that the ambulance that we rode in had had a seat like that for Boo (3-ish at the time), instead of putting us both on a side-facing bench with just lap belts.

*shudder* now at the thought, but at the time, it didn't even cross my mind as an issue (having given Boo an Epi Pen injection, and being transported to the hospital for observation at the time)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC