Carseat on a plane, not in a window seat?

JessicaS

We're flying from RDU to LHR on a 767 with American. (Raleigh to London, 8.5 hour flight.) At the time that I booked our flight, there were no more window seats! I ended up choosing 2 seats closest to the aisle in the center row (of 5 seats), at the back of the plane (seats 26F and 26G, for Anna and me). I didn't know what else to do!

What am I gonna do?! Will they even let me install her carseat there? I'm assuming RFing is out completely unless I can find a couple of saints to switch seats with us.

As if this flight by myself with a wily toddler wasn't daunting enough, now this. She's got a window seat on the flight back, as well as from LHR to MUC and back, at least!

ADS

TerisBoys

I believe the reasoning behind the window seat is so the carseat doesn't block any passenger's exit from the plane in an emergency.

Did you talk to anyone when you booked and explain that you were using a carseat for your child?

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Will they even let me install her carseat there? I'm assuming RFing is out completely unless I can find a couple of saints to switch seats with us.

You may be lucky and find the airline reserves a few seats for situations like these (ie the reserved seats cannot be pre-booked, only assigned at the counter,) or they may move other passengers to accommodate you. Often an emergency exit row cannot be pre-booked, so they could take someone out of their window seat in a non-emergency exit row, put you there and move the other passenger to the window seat at the exit row. That way no one loses their window seat! Different airlines have different policies, however. :shrug-shoulders:

I'm thinking they certainly won't allow a RF seat where you currently are - it would block access to the aisle in an emergency - but depending how your seat fit, they may allow it FF. (Our Radian, for example, does not hang over the seat at all, you could pass by it when installed - some air crews are still adamant, however, that carseats can only be used in window seats.)

I hope you are able to use your seat onboard! It would be a shame if you couldn't!

keri1292

They'll just move everyone around to get you in the window seat. No big deal, the same thing happened to us. ;)

jka1217

That happened to me once, I could only get an aisle and middle seat (3 across) and when I called, the CS rep was not helpful, just said the car seat could go in any seat and not to worry about it. I couldn't do it at check-in because our first flight was on a different airline and there was nothing they could do. So, I ended up talking with the gate agent, who was able to rearrange some seating so I could put DD RF by the window.

You can try to call American to see what they say about the seating. You may have to talk to someone the day you check in as well since the seat selections aren't usually guaranteed.

JessicaS

They'll just move everyone around to get you in the window seat. No big deal, the same thing happened to us. ;)

Whew. So should I be taking care of this now, or should I wait and talk to them at the counter, or let the flight attendants deal with it on board? :eek:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We've done this (that exact flight, though we had the two seats for Piper and myself on the way over). We were on a 777 coming back via Dallas which has a 2-5-2 configuration, and we were in the middle seats. Piper's seat went rear facing in the middle seat of the middle section. That way it's not blocking anyone's exit. That's the whole point of the window, anyway. So if she's in the middle of the middle you're good. Otherwise talk with the gate agent. Seats change all of the time. Last week coming home Piper and I were in 9F and 7C. Obviously that wouldn't work. :) So I got 9D and whoever was supposed to be in 9D took 7C (Embraer, so it was a 2-2 configuration, A/C, D/F).

Wendy

JessicaS

She's not currently in the middle of the middle, I didn't even think of that. But that will probably be the easiest place for them to put us. I will talk to the gate agent about it. Thanks!

crunchierthanthou

We were denied usage of our seat last week. :( They claimed there were no window seats available, so we were in seats B,C and D (of a 3 and 3 configuration). We had to gate check it and didn't know until we got on that there was an empty window and middle seat together two rows up. The man in A in our row actually moved up there giving us the window. I asked the FA right away to see if we could get it back, but we were the last ones on and they had already pulled everything away. It was hard enough to convince ds to sit down and in his seatbelt (he kept trying to kneel to see out the window as we took off), but it was practically impossible to get him to settle down to sleep for the overnight flight. :mad:

I would call right now, and if they can't help you ask again at the ticket counter, then the gate and lastly don't let go of your seat until you're acutally on the plane and can see the situation.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Piper's seat went rear facing in the middle seat of the middle section.

I'm surprised they allowed that (but glad for you they did!) I've been told access to either aisle must be clear in case you can only exit the plane from one side (so no carseats at all in the centre section.) I hope that can work for the OP too!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC