Proof no matter how old back seat is safer.

Mommypooh

On Sunday there was a car wreck in Powell Ohio. 3 teens were in the car. The boy was driving and his girlfriend was passenger, her twin sister was in the back. Reports have been saying all the kids were in seat belts. The boy lost control on a curve and hit 2 trees. The girl in the back was treated and released shortly after the accident. The two kids in the front were in critical condition. The parents pulled life support yesterday morning once there were grief counselors in the schools.

This is a horrible accident but the highway patrol is trying to make an example of it. They have found drug paraphernalia in the vehicle as well as they are getting a court of for the medical records for blood results.

http://www.wbns.com/live/content/local/stories/2008/04/21/315_crash_teens.html?sid=102

some of my information is from the school system as my mom is on the email list and my brothers go to school there and my brothers girlfriend was friends with the one girl who died.

This article has the seat belts in it. The other one did not.
http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/news.apx.-content-articles-CMH-2008-04-21-0013.html

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
:eek: :( To the picture of the car in the second article. Hard to believe anyone made it out alive, isn't it?

Thanks for sharing this.

Mommypooh

I htink that is a smart choice to not have him driving. I plan to at some point allow them to drive but when they do no one is allowed in their car with them. If I find out they snuck and drove a friend around I will take their car for a min of 6 months before they can have it back.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I know I seem like a mean mom to many, but this is one of the reasons my teenage son does not drive yet.

I, personally, do not think this is a fair comment. Yes, some teenagers do stupid things that get some people hurt or killed, but guess what? So do adults!

The decision to allow a teenager to start driving needs to be made on an individual case by case basis. Some teens are incredibly responsible and should absolutely be driving. Some teens are so-so responsible and the parent should probably be teaching them to drive and the proper rules to go along with it, while they have the chance.

I would *never* want one of my children to learn to drive from someone else or on their own, once they are out of my house with their own rules. I want to be able to teach them how serious it is and what a privledge it is.

Even if I have an irresponsible teen, I want to teach them to drive... it will just happen when they are closer to 16 (as opposed to the 14 allowed here) and they will never get the vehicle on their own (until they can prove trust and responsibility), but they *will* be taught how to drive from me and given plenty of experience while I am in the vehicle.

Just my :twocents: from someone that has a 15.5 year old, not so smart at times, teenager. ;)

OP: That's super sad about the kids, especially the girl losing her twin. :(

aisraeltax

I, personally, do not think this is a fair comment. Yes, some teenagers do stupid things that get some people hurt or killed, but guess what? So do adults!

The decision to allow a teenager to start driving needs to be made on an individual case by case basis. Some teens are incredibly responsible and should absolutely be driving. Some teens are so-so responsible and the parent should probably be teaching them to drive and the proper rules to go along with it, while they have the chance.

I would *never* want one of my children to learn to drive from someone else or on their own, once they are out of my house with their own rules. I want to be able to teach them how serious it is and what a privledge it is.

Even if I have an irresponsible teen, I want to teach them to drive... it will just happen when they are closer to 16 (as opposed to the 14 allowed here) and they will never get the vehicle on their own (until they can prove trust and responsibility), but they *will* be taught how to drive from me and given plenty of experience while I am in the vehicle.

Just my :twocents: from someone that has a 15.5 year old, not so smart at times, teenager. ;)

OP: That's super sad about the kids, especially the girl losing her twin. :(

Did you see where I said "MY" son..I didn't say that I don't believe that no teenager should be able to drive...just MY son. My son KNOWS how to drive..he is just not allowed a permit, or license to drive alone. This decision is based on his individual level of responsibility and ability to show respect for automobiles and others on the road, as well as other factors I won't get into here. As upset as he is that he isn't driving and being provided a car (which I was more than happy to do for him BTW)...he is ALIVE and none of his friends are injured or dead b/c of his irresponsible acts.

Like I said, Im sure many would consider me a mean mom but I do not drive and drink and am not going to facilitate anotehr person on the road that does not show respect for the car, the passengers, other cars and the rules of the road. If he wants to show that respect, he can have the keys to a car tomorrow....but don't be looking for him out there any time soon.

I am NOT an authoritarian type of parent and don't use time outs with my kids..i attempt to practice gentle discipline as much as possible...but safety for my children and others they may harm are also big considerations for me. I consider it my responsibility until they are 18 to try to ensure their safety..and I just see headlines like the OP in my head any time I think of my son driving a car. :(

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Did you see where I said "MY" son..

I see now what you were trying to say, but there was no emphasis on 'my' son and it looked like a blanket statement to me. The post was also not only directed at you and I apologize since you clearly took it that way... I should have been a little more clear in that respect.

Clearly by your bolding and subsequent comments we feel the same way and that's great! :)

amyg530

ok i know that we dont know all the details and i'm sure it was a difficult decision for the parents but i cant imagine pulling the plug on my child so quickly. i had a friend who got t-boned by a car going about 60-65mph and he was in a coma and nobody knew if he was gonna make it and now (less than 3 months after) he is alive, out of rehab and back in high school and doing well

BabyKaykes

ok i know that we dont know all the details and i'm sure it was a difficult decision for the parents but i cant imagine pulling the plug on my child so quickly.

:yeahthat:

I was wondering if anyone else was thinking that. I guess I thought people would never even think of such a thing for several months, or weeks at least. It's been 2 days? 3? It just doesn't seem like enough time to know anything.

Such a tragic accident. To lose a child, a sibling, a friend....But a TWIN.

I agree with BookMama, too. Hard to believe ANYOE made it out of there. The car has been torn in half.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
ok i know that we dont know all the details and i'm sure it was a difficult decision for the parents but i cant imagine pulling the plug on my child so quickly.

I know when my cousin's husband died, they pulled life support after scans clearly showed there was no brain activity. He was definitely gone and it was only the machines keeping his body alive. It was only days after his accident.

Maybe this is a similar situation. :( :shrug-shoulders:

aisraeltax

I see now what you were trying to say, but there was no emphasis on 'my' son and it looked like a blanket statement to me. The post was also not only directed at you and I apologize since you clearly took it that way... I should have been a little more clear in that respect.

Clearly by your bolding and subsequent comments we feel the same way and that's great! :)

yeh, it sucks i have to feel this way..i just didnt want you to think i meant it for all teenagers. i just could NOT hand him the keys and feel good about it right now.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
ok i know that we dont know all the details and i'm sure it was a difficult decision for the parents but i cant imagine pulling the plug on my child so quickly. i had a friend who got t-boned by a car going about 60-65mph and he was in a coma and nobody knew if he was gonna make it and now (less than 3 months after) he is alive, out of rehab and back in high school and doing well

It really depends on the situation. My boyfriend's parents pulled life support after only 3 days, but it was obvious to all of us that he was gone. There was really never any question of whether or not he would make it, due to the severity of his illness.

Mommypooh

They had been declared brain dead on Sunday and they didn't pull the plugs until the next day after another analysis. I know it had to be a hard decision and I can't imagine haveing to make that choice. I know they were on full life support from the moment they got to the hospital. It does not surprise me in the least they died after seeing the car. I am honestly surprised they were not DOA.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
They had been declared brain dead on Sunday and they didn't pull the plugs until the next day after another analysis. I know it had to be a hard decision and I can't imagine haveing to make that choice.

It is hard, but it's also an end to suffering. If you've never seen someone on life support, it's hard to imagine - it's not like what you see on TV. It's horrible. It's beyond miserable. It's one thing if it's something temporary that might eventually lead to recovery, but other times it's just prolonging the suffering.

Murphy's Law

It is hard, but it's also an end to suffering. If you've never seen someone on life support, it's hard to imagine - it's not like what you see on TV. It's horrible. It's beyond miserable. It's one thing if it's something temporary that might eventually lead to recovery, but other times it's just prolonging the suffering.

Absolutely. A friend once told me "There are worse things than death" and unfortunately I have had more than one opportunity first hand to agree with her.

I'm sure there were scans and reports that showed no brain activity before this was even considered an option.

My thoughts are with the family, especially the parents.

Mommy2Marcus

I can even begin to imagine what that family is going through. I feel for them. I am also amazed that anyone lived through that wreck. That car was a total disaster & as someone else stated ripped in half!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
What a sad story.

I know I seem like a mean mom to many, but this is one of the reasons my teenage son does not drive yet.

I would go one step further here, (not targeted at you specifically,) and say that it's also important to instill in kids the ability to decide who they ride with responsibly. In some ways, I would rather my kid have her license if I knew she'd be responsible with it, because then at least I wouldn't have to worry about whose car she was getting into.

Kids who aren't mature enough for licenses obviously shouldn't have one, but it's worth saying to teach them to choose how they ride with to try and help them not get into a situation where they're a passenger in a bad situation. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC