So lucky to be alive...

Shilohsmom

This happened this weekend...

wreck3.jpg

wreck2.jpg

wreck.jpg

DS was in a BV, RFing in the middle seating position, seatbelted and anchored to the floorboard. We were in my friend's Ford Escape. We were rear-ended/clipped by a drunk driver in a BMW who was trying to exit the freeway at 90-95mph. We rolled several times (I can't remember how many times).

I'm 24 weeks pregnant and DS is almost 2. He had minor cuts, scrapes, and bruises...but nothing major. He was just scared out of his mind as you can imagine.

I am really really sore. The seatbelt did its job but I've got the bruises to prove it. Baby is just fine. We stayed the weekend for observation. No contractions, bleeding...she has a strong heartbeat.

All I remember was undoing my seatbelt and THANKING the good Lord that my baby was in the backseat SCREAMING his head off. I actually got out and started after the man that hit us. I was cussing at him and then I just remember collapsing and screaming for my baby (both the born and un-born one)....

Check those car seats and make sure they're installed right...ours saved my son's life this weekend.

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Wow, how scary! I hope you're all doing better soon. Glad to hear the seat belts and car seat did their jobs. I assume the jerk who hit you had no injuries? They usually don't when they're drunk.

Cyrene

OMG! I can't believe that everyone walked away mostly unhurt. I am so happy to hear everyone was ok and your unborn baby will be OK, I am expecting in 3 weeks and I can't imagine how scary it must have been.
I hope that **** that hit you gets a long freaking time to think about it in a very cold dark cell.

Shilohsmom

Wow, how scary! I hope you're all doing better soon. Glad to hear the seat belts and car seat did their jobs. I assume the jerk who hit you had no injuries? They usually don't when they're drunk.

He was fine. The other 4 drunk people in his car were not. 2 died. 2 were life-flighted to a bigger hospital. None of the passengers were wearing seatbelts. He's rotting in jail right now:mad:

sb518

:eek: Wow... I am glad everyone is safe!! I would love to see pictures of the car seat, of the EPS foam and any stress marks. That must have been so scary.

cpsaddict

Oh my dear lord! That is so awesome the car and car seat did it's job. I drive an Escape, too. Wow, just wow. Thank goodness you guys are all relatively ok.

Synchro246

How incredibly scary! I'm sorry you went thru that. I'm glad you and yours are OK.
Is that clumped grass on the rear driver's side door?

I'd take out that last pic. It has your licence plate #;) and this is a public forum.

Shilohsmom

:eek: Wow... I am glad everyone is safe!! I would love to see pictures of the car seat, of the EPS foam and any stress marks. That must have been so scary.

The car is impounded right now as evidence. We aren't allowed to go near it. Plus, its in Houston and we are back home now in Bryan. I will tell you that the rear tether held but I did notice that it was stressed. I swear to you that his car seat must not have BUDGED. It still looked perfectly installed, solid as a rock. Minus my screaming toddler in it...youd've never known.

At the hospital I just kept screaming for my child. I couldn't see him but I could hear him next to me. The doc kept saying..."damn, what kind of seat was this kid in??? there's hardly a scratch on him"....even in my fear and pain, my heart swelled with pride...

TerisBoys

SO scary! What everyone else said - I'm glad everyone is ok.

Does Britax still have their crashed restraints program? They used to replace certain seats after accidents themselves if the accident was REALLY severe.

MomToEliEm

Wow!

Were you driving or was your friend driving (you said it was your friends SUV)? Was your friend hurt in the accident? I am so glad to hear that your son and unborn baby was doing well after the accident and the carseat performed just as it should have.

I hate to hear about the two people that died in the drunk driver's car (hopefully the other two do survive). I hope the driver of that car realizes the pain he put a lot of people through due to his actions that night.

Last edited:

VLsMom

The car is impounded right now as evidence. We aren't allowed to go near it. Plus, its in Houston and we are back home now in Bryan. I will tell you that the rear tether held but I did notice that it was stressed. I swear to you that his car seat must not have BUDGED. It still looked perfectly installed, solid as a rock. Minus my screaming toddler in it...youd've never known.

At the hospital I just kept screaming for my child. I couldn't see him but I could hear him next to me. The doc kept saying..."damn, what kind of seat was this kid in??? there's hardly a scratch on him"....even in my fear and pain, my heart swelled with pride...

Awww...I'm so glad the car seat came through and performed well. Thank goodness you guys are all OK.

My husband once said to me "For all the work you go through to make sure our kids' car seats are installed correctly and tightly, we should get into an accident to prove how safe they are!" as a joke. Not very funny I think. Maybe I'll show him your pictures and story instead!

Shilohsmom

How incredibly scary! I'm sorry you went thru that. I'm glad you and yours are OK.
Is that clumped grass on the rear driver's side door?

Yes, that's grass:(

ETA: My friend was driving. She was wearing her seatbelt too. She's ok. We are both just really sore. Going to see the chiropractor tomorrow and going to buy a new BV for my baby.

Mommy090804

Wow! What an incredible story! I am sorry that it happened to you, but very glad that your child was in a RFing seat that was properly installed. Glad to hear that everyone in your car is okay. Glad to hear your children survived a horrific accident, and something that no one should experience. Thanks for sharing and reminding us why we are passionate about keeping adults and children as safe as possible in cars. (((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

TXAggieTech

Holy cow! That is scary! I'm so glad you and the babies are okay.

I just realized we never got together to check out infant seats. We are in Columbus, OH right now but will be in BCS 4/29-5/2. There is also a check 5/3.

Mama!

And that is why I'm such a freak. It takes a split second....:(

I am so glad you are okay. TG for a properly installed seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC