Chevy Express Work Van...RF or FF?

laurenrachey

DS is FF now (FPSVD limit 33lbs, I think he's 31-33lbs), but we have a backup EB 3in1. He may need to take a short trip in DH's van. Since the EB RFs to 35lbs, can it be installed RF? The van has two bucket seats in the front with a cage right behind them. No airbag for the passenger, only the driver. The seatbelt locks when pulled out, so RF I'd probably have to use a locking clip to avoid tipping. I *think* I can use the top tether when installed FF. I studied the manual, and it showed a place for a tether to be clipped at the bottom of the seat (the section header said passenger and cargo vans). I can scan the page(s) if need be to verify.

Taking all of this into consideration, which way would you install the seat?

Thanks so much!

ADS

sb518

Hmmm that's an interesting situation.... I would probably install FF'ing, since he weighs over 30lbs it wouldn't be a big deal having him facing forward.

Maybe a tech can chime in though.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'd install RF if I could get a good install, but since he's three, I wouldn't stress if FF worked better for installation or personal reasons.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree, I'd attempt a RFing installation, but not stress a whole lot if you can't get it.

Though how close is the cage behind him?

Wendy

laurenrachey

When you slide the seat back as far as it will go (which I had planned to do), it is up against the cage. The seats are pretty tall. Obviously this is a factory work van so the cage is part of the vehicle frame (as it must stay in place in the event of an accident to protect the passengers from the two tons of crap my hubby hauls around with him! lol - heating and air)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
As long as the seats are tall enough to keep him from rebounding into the cage then I'd definitely go RFing. If there's a likelihood he'll hit the cage RFing then I'd probably try FFing.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC