WWYD? Booster question

ZephyrBlue

My 5yo weighs 31lbs and is using a Nautilus in harness mode as her main seat until the Frontier arrives. She has never ever ridden in a booster. Last week, we had to carpool an extra kid, making a total of 5 kids and seats. She begged to be allowed to ride in her big sister's Vivo Lite for one trip- 6 miles on residential roads. I wouldn't let her. DH thinks that she should be able to ride in a booster on occasion- she's very mature, and has great impulse-control. Our Monterey will be here Tuesday; both that and the Vivo have awesome SIP. She does "fit" in the Vivo, height-wise. The headrest does go low enough to properly position the belt guide at her shoulder.

Would you let her ride in a booster at her age/size?

ADS

sixmaybemore

My 5yo weighs 31lbs and is using a Nautilus in harness mode as her main seat until the Frontier arrives. She has never ever ridden in a booster. Last week, we had to carpool an extra kid, making a total of 5 kids and seats. She begged to be allowed to ride in her big sister's Vivo Lite for one trip- 6 miles on residential roads. I wouldn't let her. DH thinks that she should be able to ride in a booster on occasion- she's very mature, and has great impulse-control. Our Monterey will be here Tuesday; both that and the Vivo have awesome SIP. She does "fit" in the Vivo, height-wise. The headrest does go low enough to properly position the belt guide at her shoulder.

Would you let her ride in a booster at her age/size?

That size? No.

Tanya
CPST

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would not let my own child ride in a booster at only 31 pounds; however, (and I realize this may read as somewhat hypocritical), if the booster fit and the child was mature and the booster was rated down to 30 pounds, I wouldn't classify it as misuse.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
My 3YO is bigger than she is. There is no way in H#)* I'd let him in a booster at this size, even if he were 2+ years older.

Stretchy Glue

If there are any other safe options, no, but sometimes there is nothing better. My dd outgrew a Chase when she was about 31 lbs, and 3.5 years, and dh was in his 6th month of being laid off. We were already struggling so a HWH wasn't an option, so for a short time I had no choice but to put her into a booster. Fortunately she was a good car rider, but trust me, that is a scary situation. I would never have done it if there was any other option but a Husky at that time (which ironically we ended up with a year later and she outgrew it before 6).

Honestly 5 more pounds and I would feel better about it because she's 5, but 31 is SO petite. My dd is almost twice that now at 6:eek:

ZephyrBlue

Thank you all so much for the replies. I showed DH :p She is actually less wiggly than her almost 8yo sister, but she's SO tiny. Skinny and short. I can just picture her submarining in a booster at this size.

She's going to be really sad when the new Daisy Compass booster that I got at the Learning Curve sale gets here. She loves brown and pink flowers. The kid needs to put on some weight! Well, all 3 of them do. Hmmm, wonder if I could donate some of mine to them? :rolleyes:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I wish booster weights were at least based on the dummy size. We know well that the 37 inch tall 34 pound '3 yo' dummy does fine in boosters. I seriously doubt weight as much to do with anything, her skeletal development and height have a lot more to do with it. I'd use a booster for short trips :eek:. But I also wish the minimum weight for boosters was 34 pounds :eek:

Not saying you should use a booster if it makes you feel uncomfortable, but just saying *I* would do it (I'd also have my 31 pounder rearfacing, actually :love:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC