My mom vs Signo.....(Come imagine this..)

Mama!

I let my dd go to her gparents for a week while dh and I went on a trip.

I sent the Signo because it leaves the least room for error. Headrest already adjusted, Safeguard LATCH anchors and super quick install.

She has a nice vehicle with great LATCH anchors, and I showed her how simple it was.

I knew that the only other vehicle they might have to put it in was my SIL's new van.

Wrong. My mom's car broke down. They wound up having to install the Signo in my G'ma's older car. Older as in no LATCH, ERL seatbelts.

My mom said she had such a brutal time installing it, she couldn't get it snug. She had it in the center with the lap belt. THEN she threaded the outboard lap/shoulder belts THROUGH the latch bar on either side in an attempt to keep it steady :eek::eek::eek:

:dizzy:

I pointed out that I had shown her the Lockoffs, and she said that she just couldnt get the seat tight enough. I even explained lockign latchplates.

Fortunatley dd was only in that vehicle for an hour or two and then the seat was installed in a newer car.

Heaven help me. Can you just picture the seat installed like that? With 3 seatbelts holding it in and it was STILL tipping?? :eek:

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Can I imagine it? Do I have to? It might make me cry!

I'm so glad it wasn't that way the whole week!

:)

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Yep. I can imagine, 'cause I've seen it IRL. :eek:

A teacher (who I thought would have been smarter than this) installed grandchild's seat in the center and secured it with the outboard seat belts.

Good news: she was willing to let me install it correctly. And accepted my teasing: would you sit in the middle and use the seatbelt from the side? Then why would you do that with a CR?

Somehow she'd combined "middle is safest" and "must have lap shoulder belt" (booster? maybe). . .

ZephyrBlue

Oh good Lord :eek:

I can imagine it, and I can imagine a nice old grandma trying to get the seat installed snugly. I'm so glad they weren't in an accident.

This is precisely why I do not let anyone install my kids' seats. Ever. I know something like that would happen to us!

CaseyRN

I can totally relate! DD stayed with my parents this past weekend and they have a scenera. Well, I wasn't happy with the install and didn't feel like installing it so I just stuck my MA into their car. Why they felt the need to install the scenera in my mom's car and stick mine in the back I will never know. Regardless when I check it when we get home it is seriously sitting straight up (RFing), installed with LATCH AND seatbelt and tethered to a cargo hook. :eek:

I had explained the one or the other with latch/seatbelt and that even though my MA could be tethered theirs could not. Oh well. She survived. It is frustrating, though. Any tips on how to explain why you can't use both latch and seatbelt? I know they are so proud to have their own carseat I just wish they would use the ones I install for them. I would have installed theirs correctly if there was time but it was just quiker to stick my MA in.

Mama!

I usually install ALL the seats, but in this case, I had to hand dd off halfway and when my mom's car broke down, SHE Had to move the seat :eek:

I wish I had a picture of the seat installed like that. UGH. It'd make a nice siggy pic.:cool:

Mama!

Oh, and when dad got here with her, the Signo was tightly installed FF in the back of the car, with LATCH, and top tethered.

Except it was awfully reclined....

At some point, someone managed to knock it into RF recline mode. So she was laid back in this FF seat which was reclined for RF use. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC