So, I was in a car collision today...

tcottawa

UPDATE: in a car collision, what to get???

We were rear-ended by someone at a stop light and pushed into the car in front of us. No one was hurt (except my 3yo has an abrasion from the shoulder strap of her harness) since the car wasn't going very fast (maybe 5-10mph - we were all stopped and then then the car behind started up to get around us :rolleyes:).

Thoughts:
Even though we barely hit the car in front of us, that lady's rearview mirror popped off and fell in her lap! Made me think about all the random aftermarket projectiles people put around their babies and how easily those things could come off in an accident...

I think the car passes all the NHTSA requirements for not having to replace the car seats (except for the "injury", but that was akin to a knee scrape, not a big deal) but I'm going to try to see what the insurance company says. Also in the crappy AOE's manual it says to replace after any accident, and I hate that thing anyway. What would you guys do? Replace them no matter what?

It was interesting to see that the MA became more upright after the collision. From a 30 degree angle to something like a 15-20 degree angle (for the record, it was not tethered RF).

But WOW, it felt good at least to know that the kids were as safe as they could be (as safe as you can be in any moving vehicle!).

Last edited:
ADS

Mommy2Marcus

WOW! I am glad that no one was hurt. I would replace the AOE as the manual says it has to be replaced no matter what. However I think the Marathon should be okay, but I am not sure how I would feel if it rebounded, I would probably want it replaced to. I would MAKE the insurance company replace the AOE, however I would buy something more expensive, but just get the cost of the AOE & cover the rest yourself. Does that make since? Lie I would get a Regent for your older child & only get what the AOE was worht towards it, like $150 if that is what the AOE cost you & then cover the other $150-$200 for it. Or get a Graco Nautilus for him as it should fit him & then it wouldbe the same cost. I am kind of ify on the Marathon. I would probably get the insurance to replace it as well as I am not sure I would feel safe still using it. KWIM? Maybe someone else will chime in here!

tcottawa

Well, I would feel better replacing the MA considering it definitely moved around back there...I have to take a closer look at the seats.

The thing is, I really WANT to replace them both because I could get the higher weight MAs (I am in canada, BTW) for both ladies, who are petite and will be in them until university, probably. So I'm biased in favor of replacing them anyway...

jclaire

If it were me, I would replace both seats. If the impact was enough to make the MA move then I wouldn't feel comfortable continuing to use the seat. And I would do what the PP said as far as the AOE is concerned. Take the money that you get to replace it and put it towards a better/bigger seat.
Glad everyone is ok!!

Mommy2Marcus

Then I say that if you feel uncomfortable using them to replace them. If the insurance company hassles you I would make them sign off saying they are responsible for any other injuries rusulting from another wreck should the car seas fail. That usually seems to always work! Good Luck & let us know what ahppens & what you get!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
AO absolutely replace, MA I'd try and get them to replace too - if you were pushed into the car in front of you, (you mentioned the lady in front of you had her rear view mirror pop off,) it's essentially 2 separate collision events that the seat has already been through.

Who is your insurer? Meloche Monnex is usually pretty good, and they'll do the replacement for you now so you don't have to wait for the insurance from the person who rear-ended you. I'd also call the other person's insurer yourself to make sure the claim gets opened up right away and maybe you can get them to deal with the seats right away.

Glad you guys are mostly ok and I hope you're not too sore over the coming days.

tcottawa

Aah, good point about the two separate incidents.

The insurance is CAA. The adjustor is calling tomorrow with more info about replacing the car seats, and I don't have to drive anywhere for a couple days (thank goodness the weather is nice! ...at least out east here ;)) so I will wait and see. Ideally, I want to get two MAs, since they will last both girls until booster age, but it will depend on CAAs replacement policy, which is not online, AFAIK.

amyg530

i'd try to have the MA replaced, esp if it rebounded that much. you said that you didnt have it tethered but if it had of been tethered then the ripstich would have torn , right? and isnt that automatic grounds for replacement?

tcottawa

So, they will replace the car seats with some of "comparable value"...So, I could either get

- 2 MAs, and possibly have to fork up the difference between the AOE and the MA (around $100 or so)

- 1 MA and 1 EFTA, which is closer in price to the AOE (not like I'm getting another one of those)

- 2 Radians, so I could have more space in the car. Again, I might have to reimburse them the difference...

What do you guys think? For the record, I have one RF, one FF, and my girls are tiny, so would be at least 5 or 6 before outgrowing even the EFTA by weight/height.

southpawboston

Re: UPDATE: in a car collision, what to get???

Even though we barely hit the car in front of us, that lady's rearview mirror popped off and fell in her lap! Made me think about all the random aftermarket projectiles people put around their babies and how easily those things could come off in an accident...

just FYI, it's built into DOT standards that the rearview mount must be designed break off very easily to avoid banging into it really hard. so it's not surprising that it popped off its mount.

southpawboston

That's interesting...what's to keep it from smacking you in the face, though?

it very well might, but that would be the lesser of two bads. i guess the point is that that would be minor because of its relatively light weight. however, if the weight of your body smacked it and it didn't break off, that could be far worse.

i honestly don't worry about light projectiles in a car, provided they're also not sharp and weapon-like. it's far worse to hit something in the car with the weight of YOUR body than for a lightweight object hit you with ITS weight. the mirror is fairly light and has rounded edges.

interestingly, it's also DOT standard that the mirror have rounded edges.

aisraeltax

i woudl definitely replace both. i am STILL waiting for a check from Geico (over a month). im glad im not holding my breath. and that tehy are not my insurer..i will be sure to NEVER get insurance from them. They even made me give them teh cover of the seat. i think they are fishy.

so good to hear you guys are ok though. how scarey!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC