Seats you want to love - and don't

sixmaybemore

I'm not sure I've posted here before, although I've had an account for a while. I read when I have time. :)

So, I have six kids. 15, 12, 10, 7, 4, and 2. 15 and 12 yo are not in seats. 10 yo is an an Olli Clek, will most likely get him a Monterey. 7 yo (67 lbs) is in a Recaro Start. 4 yo (42 lbs) and 2 yo (36 lbs) are FF in Safeguard Seats.

Like many of you, I've owned a plethora of seats. I love love LOVE the Safeguards, even though it's a tight fit in my '05 Astro. Truly, the Safeguards really aren't even practical, b/c I haven't found a booster that fits next to the Safeguard well. I have the car configured for seven of us, rarely do all eight of us go anywhere and if we do I switch a Safeguard out for a Radian. Currently in my house I have a couple of Graco Turbo Boosters, a Combi Dakota, an All Star Marathon, and a Princess Radian.

And here's the thing. I HATE the Radian. Hate it. It's difficult to install, and the harness is a crab to adjust (actually, I can't get it tight at all). The Recaro Start I've had for almost a year, and while I really want to LOVE it, I don't. I hate it. The seat belt gets tangled up in the lock off on the side, the seat isn't deep enough IMO, and if you do have to take off the cover to clean it, it's terrible to put back on.

What seat do you have that you don't like? Am I alone in my Recaro Start and Radian dislike?

Tanya
CPST since '01
mom of six

ADS

sixmaybemore

Oh no!! :mad: I was all set on the Radian!! Why do you hate it so much?

It's hard to install - I have to twist the buckle stalk and have somebody else help me with clicking the buckle. The way the harness is in the back, the splitter jams into the seat cushion and it's really difficult to pull the harness snug. Even using my trick that I use with the Marathon to get it snug doesn't work. The harness straps have also gotten tangled up the few times I've used it.

Maybe I got a lemon lol.

Tanya
CPST since '01

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Is your recaro seat pan set to the deepest setting? I know mine pops back into a shallower setting when I so much as breathe on it wrong and I don't notice sometimes. It's the only booster my kids find comfortable.

I love my Radian, but despise it's adjuster :p. (the longer crotch strap, wider buckle tong(ue)s, and Britax chest clip have made me like it a little more than it was originally.

I can't stand my Scenera.... It's hard to install RF in the car I want it RF in :p.

sixmaybemore

Is your recaro seat pan set to the deepest setting? I know mine pops back into a shallower setting when I so much as breathe on it wrong and I don't notice sometimes. It's the only booster my kids find comfortable.

Yes, but it won't stay there. It's done that since I first got it. The seat belt anchor on his seating position is pretty high, too, I was thinking about switching to driver side outboard for him and see if that helps the tangling issue.

Okay, so at least I"m not alone with the adjuster on the Radian. And she *does love the cover, so at least there is that.

Tanya
CPST since '01
in search of a cool siggy

sixmaybemore

So, what convertible seat would you recommend if you don't like the Radian? Thanks!

That's going to depend a lot on the kid, the car, and what you're planning on spending. I mean, I still have a Radian even though I don't care for it because for some seating situations, it's the only thing that will work for me.

Tanya
CPST since '01

TerisBoys

I currently LOVE all my seats. :eek:

But in the past - I wanted to love my Super Elite and Marathon.

Super Elite was overkill for Josh. He'd been in a booster for over a year before reharnessing, he was 5.5yo, and he HATED it. Mine had a finicky harness adjustor so I really didn't care for it much either. It was sold.

REALLY wanted to love my Marathon. Ryan outgrew the RA heightwise at 34 mo, I got a MA to replace it because at the time we were doing 3 across in a Corsica and a Husky wouldn't work. Turned out he had less grow room than I would've liked (hindsight 20/20 with a 15.5" torso currently, he'd probably still JUST fit, but I was paranoid). HE hated it. Cried for his old seat, fought riding in it. Plus the harness adjuster 'tug-release' was murder. I sold that one and swapped my RA and FW to Peggy from IVillage for a Futura, then bought a second one. Funny - my sensory kid preferred a Futura (NO padding) to a MA.

arly1983

OH YES!!!!!! I LOATH the recaro como and signo though others love theirs. It was a combination of things that bothered me but after time became unbearable.

The only complaint I have about the radian is the adjuster. I think I have gotten used to the install.

As for seats I have loved, its seems to vary on the child at that time and the vehicle. Like the radian RFing for Camille was AWESOME for my aunts nissan maxima or the EFTA RFing or FFing in my moms Toyota Camry. Or the marathon with its built in lock offs when I had to install it in in a Dodge Intripid (I loath their belts). I guess I have tried so many now, I can appreciate most (;) ) car seats for their individual traits.

skaterbabs

I'm not loving my MA right now, but that's just because I'm installing it in the center of a '96 Cherokee with the lap belt and the blasted buckle has to go under the LATCH bars. Getting it in is hard enough - getting it OUT again is a PITA.

sixmaybemore

I'm not loving my MA right now, but that's just because I'm installing it in the center of a '96 Cherokee with the lap belt and the blasted buckle has to go under the LATCH bars. Getting it in is hard enough - getting it OUT again is a PITA.

Ahhhh I hear you! I had to do that with our '95 Suburban. I had an MA in the middle row center seat.

Tanya
CPST

BabyKaykes

LOL, I wanted to love my ComfortSport! It's so plush and soft looking. But we all know it's problems.

I also want to love the Regent (don't shoot me!) but I just don't. I totally understand why it's for big kids. My son tried desperately to sleep in it one day and just couldn't. Correctly buckled he couldn't lean on the side and was very upset about it.

My absolute favorite favorite convertible right now is the Uptown. I even passed my FPSVD off as a backup so that I could use the Uptown as a main seat.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't love the Como and Signo. I really don't love the Regent/Husky for my car and my child, but I still respect it and want to be friends.

tlj

I don't like the Marathon...I really want to, but I just don't. Maybe when we are ready for ff, I'll like it better? (Why: hard to install, harness adjuster drives me crazy,...)

I do like our Radian and Nautilus, though.

raelynn

Senior Community Member
I really hate the Radian - it's hard to install and my son is just not comfortable in it. It's been our backup seat, and I just sold it this morning so I can fund another EFTA which is my new favourite seat. My fave seat used to be the Marathon, but since getting my EFTA, I would be happy with nothing but EFTAs in my life! LOL

thepote

I don't like the Regent at all :eek: It just seems like overkill. DS2 couldn't sleep comfortably in it at all. We love love love the Como, btw ;) Not for RF, though.

I just got a :love:pink:love: scenera b/c I gave away my other one to a guy that came here to look at a car I had on CL. His 3 yr old girl was riding in a 1997 century t-shield with twisted-into-rope straps in the unreinforced lower slots :thumbsdown: Dad left here with a much safer kiddo and was fully indoctrinated in car safety best practices :thumbsup: He was really receptive, which was nice.

So when I went to replace it, I couldn't help it -- I have three boys, but I just loved the pink one!! The cover will probably end up on here for trade :whistle:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I would love my Radian more, if I had the fuzzy cover! I haven't had a lot of issues installing. I did two yesterday, at the car seat clinic.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC