Suggestions needed!

R

Roller

I would like to hear some suggestions to improve safety on this car.
It's the worst performer in the NCAP test, still I would like to own one.
I am willing to spend money for improvements, where would that money best be spend? It's been a dreamcar for me (it doesn't look like it, I know) but the GTI is a real performer!

citroen_saxo_2000.jpg

I was thinking of adding:

-Front airbags (2)
-Side airbags (option)
-Side impact protection from a newer model
-Rollbar (custom)

Here's a link to the NCAP test results
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=1&id2=70

Here's a link to a movie of the front impact
http://home.zonnet.nl/CitroenCrashTests/saxo-crash.avi

All informed suggestions are welcomed

Regards

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
This should be the right place

Unfortunately, I'm guessing that the other non-techs like myself don't have any suggestions for you ... other than a safer vehicle choice :rolleyes: :p I think, too, the timing is just "off" because of the holidays? Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable techs can have some ideas for you soon! :)

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Airbags are a good start and will certainly help, but they really can't compensate that much for a passenger compartment that crushes in on itself. What really concerns me is that in the picture you provided, the dummy is completely out of position in the driver's seat.

Darren is the real expert on vehicle safety, so I'll let him tackle this one in more depth. He's been scarce lately, though.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Unfortunately most vehicle manufacturers will not allow retrofitting airbag systems into older cars. Unless the car originally had the option of airbags and side impact protection its unlikely you will be able to get them installed.

Roll cages are not suggested for street cars. I own a street and strip car (in other words i race it on the weekends and drive it on the roads daily) that has a roll cage and 5 pnt harnesses. Roll cages lower the space within the car itself, meaning if you, like the dummy in the picture, are out of position you are likely to hit the roll cage. Also roll cages make for more blind spots and danger points if a weld were to sever. Most professional roll cage builders will not add a true roll cage or bar to a street car. Street cars have different types of accidents that race cars, the different forces on the cage could cause it to break at welds and allow SHARP (we're talking like razors here) tube ends to fly thru the car. Be wary of any auto body shop that does roll cage designs. Most of these roll cages are not designed properly (ask to speak to the engineer on staff. if they dont have one, walk away.), are made of the wrong type of tubing (2 inch chrome moly is the most common type), or are not welded properly. (TIG welding should be used. Other types do not get enough penetration)

Your best option is to chalk it up to a dream. I have a few cars on my list i would love to have but they're death on wheels. It sucks i know, but safety first. :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
If safety is a main concern, this may just be a vehicle that isn't worthy of consideration. I think it would take so much design and cost to put in enough safety to protect the passengers that you'd simply be better off buying another model, even if it was many thousands more. Many parents ask similar questions about their small pickup trucks or convertible coupes. When it comes to kids and even passenger safety, many of these models are lacking.

It's easy to add leather, entertainment systems, performance mods, just about everything except for safety. If the chassis is a dud and the vehicle is lacking important safety features, it's probably just not a viable option, sorry to say.

T

For the rollcage I was thinking of of this for the tubing:

sc430pacecar_inter.jpg

The thing is with this car, it is considered to have superb road holding, this must be worth something in the active safety department.

Links to another forum is appreciated aswell, cos Google turns up nothing useful for me.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'm afraid you're probably in uncharted territory. Of all the upgrades you mentioned, I'd think the rollbars would be by far the smallest improvement for occupant safety in a low-riding car with good handling.

Personally, I doubt you could make it comparable in safety to something like, say even, a 2006 Honda Civic without spending $10,000 or more on modifications. Even then you'd have no testing or data to prove whatever you did made any difference. The first crash would be the only real test you'd have.

U

Unregistered

I realise that this could get stupid in terms of money.
However I am stunned by what you say about the rollCAGE, have you seen the video of the crash test?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The issue is not only how much improvement it would make, but the actual risk of being in a situation where a rollover would occur. If you're in a very tall SUV, then it's much more likely than a low riding and good handling sports car. In such a low riding vehicle, frontal and side impact protection is far more important, if you base it on the odds of the type of fatal impacts you are likely to encounter.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC