Do locking clips

U

Unregistered1

Expire? Ever? I would think not but I want to be safe, I'm collecting them for use at the daycare where I work and we have one from *my* car seat almost 20 years ago and idk if it's still good.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've never heard of locking clips expiring, but I would look at one that old for signs of corrosion and make sure that it's not bent or out of shape.

U

Unregistered1

I don't think so. but 20 years? I'd probably just go to BRU and spend the $3 for the piece of mind. :shrug-shoulders:

I'm going to need at least 12 of them so BRU will be seeing me anyways :p

The old clip doesn't look like it was EVER used, but it's not that copper color that they are today, it's more silver (like a belt shortening clip, but it's the size, shape, weight of a regular locking clip) I wonder if they changed them for a reason?

U

Unregistered1

Can you get them in bulk anywhere?

I'm pretty sure you can online but for 12 of them (actually with various ones I've randomly acquired I'd probably only need about 8) I don't think the shipping would be worth it, and I think you have to order them in bigger bulk than that.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ford dealers give them out free, as many as you need. And why would you need so many? Carseats have come with them for years and been largely ignored, attached to the backs of most of them (so parents will basically bring their own to checks), and only cars before 1996 actually 'need' them :)

U

Unregistered1

Ford dealers give them out free, as many as you need. And why would you need so many? Carseats have come with them for years and been largely ignored, attached to the backs of most of them (so parents will basically bring their own to checks), and only cars before 1996 actually 'need' them :)

I work at a daycare where we go on field trips in the summer, and since I'm a CPST (the only one where I work) I will be installing their car seats for field trips. Our van/bus is very old and does not have a locking mechanism on the seat belts. The parents are asked to bring their own seats to transport their children but I bet 95% of them will not bring a locking clip. I want to have extras on hand, enough for everybody, just to be on the safe side. :) The 4/5 I already have are from seats I have owned (I only need one)

Mama!

I've had several get bent out of shape and warped. Before I knew how to lock a seatbelt. :cool: I was dumb.

mish

Some of them are silver. I got some at the Safe Kids conference this year from Britax and they were silver. They were giving out bags with several locking clips to techs. If you called a car seat manufacturer (or several) and explained you situation, they may give you some. It is worth a try.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC