Would you feel comfortable????

Brendan's Mom

Brendan is almost 4 1/2. He currently rides in a regent in my car, radian in my husbands and I leave the GN at my parents in case they need to pick him up from school. I am needing the GN more and more at my house to transport other kids. I refuse to put a 3 year old in a booster in my car!! I don't know what to leave at my parents house. They RARELY pick him up from school, but it is nice to know they have the ability to if I get stuck at a doctor's appt or traffic etc... Sorry...long story for my question! Would you feel comfortable putting him in a HBB for the trip (2 miles). He weights 45lbs now and I know he would sit still if told to do so. I could always get another seat, but we are going to need to buy 3 new rear facing seats soon! Thanks

ADS

firemomof3

Personally, I would feel comfortable. My daughter is 4.5 and rides in a GN but we have a HBB for daddy's jeep, its just a compass (don't like it!) She understands the difference when she's in her booster, and she does really well. :)

Shaunam

Probably. Is there any way one of the grandparents can sit in the back with him at first to make sure he stays sitting properly? And if they can, lock the seat belt over him, just in case.

When we start letting my DS use a booster, I'm going to insist that someone sit in the back with him at first just to *make sure* he's not all fidgety and messing w/the belt.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
*maybe?*

Do g-parents have a vehicle with locking seatbelts (can be switched to locking mode by pulling all the way out?)

I'd consider getting a booster and doing a couple test runs around the block to see how he sits etc. It wouldn't be my preference to see a 4.5yr old in a booster, but if he fits it well and will sit still properly, for very occasional use it might be ok.

Most collisions happen close to home, so I think the distance travelled should probably be factored out of the decision if you're looking at it from a "not likely to have a collision" perspective. If you're looking at it from a "he can definitely sit perfectly still for 2 miles home" perspective, then I think it's reasonable if you get a booster that fits him well and he will sit properly in it.

I just want to caution you to not be considering the booster just because it's a short distance and the risk of a collision seems to be less likely. ;)

Kids are usually mature enough/big enough around the age 5 or 6 to start using a booster periodically, and he is a good size and 4.5yrs old, so it's not unreasonable, considering that it wouldn't be on a regular basis...

So those are my thoughts. I can't tell you what to do, but hopefully some of those factors can help you decide what works best for him & what you're most comfortable with safety wise.

eta: I'm going to throw my usual disclaimer in here - I'm not of the camp that would harness a kid until the last possible moment if that kid was 7 yrs old or older. Kids reach a point where they're big enough & mature enough to use a booster part time, and then graduate to regular use of a booster. If your ds is at that point right now, and you're comfortable with it, it's not a cardinal sin to put him in a booster periodically. Just make sure it's a high back and I'd probably prefer one with good SIP. :thumbsup:

sarsah

Unless your child is a real 'wiggler' in the car, I would do it. I would have whomever is driving remind him that he must sit up right for the whole trip. My DS was a little younger than yours when he first started riding in boosters, mostly for the very occasional trip in DH's car.

Sarah..........

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC