Lock-offs expiring?

brooklynsmommy

This is going to sound dumb, but do lock offs expire? Last May I got replacement ones to flip them on my marathon. The new parts packages have two in them with directions dated Jan of 07. Well, I just got two Boulevards and called to get replacement ones for these as well. They sent me two single packages ( I only had one boulevard in the house at the time). I noticed that the directions were different so I looked at the date. It was from 2002... So then I decided to compare the lock offs. While they aren't completely different, there are some obvious differences. I checked the lock offs on the March 06 Boulevards and they are the newer ones. So this leaves me wondering- How old are the lock offs?
Here are some pictures of the differences.
105_0370.jpg

105_0369.jpg

105_0367.jpg

105_0368.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Most of the time the components with a seat are within a couple of months of the seat's date (so the harness, the chest clip, the tether, the lockoffs, etc.). Since the lockoffs are plastic I wouldn't use them past six years, same as their other plastic recommendations. I'd call Britax and let them know.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
New ones look a little sturdier... and the ones they are supposed to be sending out now have instructions to install them flipped 180 degrees so that the opening is on the back side of the seat so they work better.
Personally, as a precrash positioner, I wouldn't fret about them weakening with age: they will either be sturdy and work fine or there will be obvious problems and they won't, right out of the package.:twocents:

brooklynsmommy

Yeah the new ones really are a little thicker in areas. The new ones you can pull right apart though. Perhaps so you don't break them. The directions were what noticed and prompted me to check the lock offs. I know that they have been flipped for about a year now and couldn't figure out why these directions were saying to keep them the other way when I knew Britax had started flipping them on all car seats.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I wonder where they found those things, anyway??? Like they must have been behind a crate of lockoffs for 6 years now and someone just found them back there and tossed 'em back in with the new ones? :rolleyes::confused::p

brooklynsmommy

See that's what I wondered. I'm not entirely sure that they are specifically from 2002, but the directions sure are. And they don't match the lock offs from early 06 seats. So that leaves me to wonder just how old these things are! It makes me want to go and look at every year between 02 and 06 to figure out when they stopped using them. The first thing that tipped me off though was the fact that they were sent singly. In addition to that, the part numbers! The old ones were 806900. The new ones are 823000! Obviously they have gotten some new part in the time in between....

And I'd like to rant about the fact that they didn't send me the freaking recalled tether kit that I specifically called about in the first place!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC