Honda Pilot middle of 2nd row installation ?

M

mderober

Hi,
I recently went to a car seat technician to have my Evenflo embrace car seat installed in my 2006 Honda Pilot. Even though the middle seat of the second row does not have the latch hooks, we were going to install the seat using the belt system. This was until the technician found that the seat had a hard cardboard type material to it where the seat cushion meets the back cushion. He said such a material would make it difficult to get a tight fight because there is no give to the hardness. So we installed the seat rear facing behind the passenger seat. This was becuse the drivers seat is all the way back and therefor touches the car seat and I want the driver to be comfortable to drive safely. (In addition to the 60/40 split of 2nd row seats).

I just wanted to see if anyone else has installed their rear facing infant car seats in the middle position dispite the seat cushion material.

thanks!

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I can't answer as to trying it, but I just wanted to comment that until you actually try installing a seat in the location, you don't know for sure whether or not it will work. Experienced techs might have an educated guess, but unless you try it, there's no way to be certain.

Since you guys didn't try the center install, I'd say it's worth you trying it to see how it works. You know how to put it back in outboard, so there's no harm in trying. ;)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I have no idea what hard cardboard thing he's talking about, but I can tell you that I have installed several RF seats in the second row of our '04 Pilot.

The only things that sometimes give people problems are the way the seat belt comes from the ceiling and the way it connects to that other part before becoming usable. I've never had either of those interfere with an install, but I've heard that occasionally people do.

steph

I'm not sure what the cardboard thing is either but I have installed a Chicco Keyfit (infant seat) in the center of an 04 Pilot and had no issues.

M

mderober

Thanks guys! We'll try it to see how tight/secure we can get it...

I looked again today. It looks like they created an indented area for the seat belt clips to sit in and the back of that area is hard not cushion. Not totally sure why because its only in the middle seat area.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC