My older sister called a lady out on ERF!

PixieEMT

My sister went to an EMS confrence last week somewhere by Pittsburg. She took a class on Pedicatric Trauma (something of that nature).

Backround: Big Sister 26 y/o, one son (7y/o , 81lbs, 4'4'' riding in Graco Turboboosters) , my son rides in her Cavalier in a RF Touriva.
Long time skeptic of ERF: Until she watched the Youtube video and read the New Zeland article "Long road to recovery for little girl".
Now she is on the darkside with us.:evil grin:

Any way.......the lady instructor started saying "only infants up to 1y/o and 20lbs can rear face." :rolleyes:

So, my sister piped up :D

Sister: "Their heads are larger and heavier than an adult."

Lady: "Well as soon as they are 1 and 20lbs they can hold their head up, it's ok to forward face."

Sister: "Children can rear face until they reach the maximum weight limits of their seat......most are 35lbs and 1inch of hard shell."

Lady: "An older child can't because their legs will be bent and they will break."

Sister: "There have been no documented cases of legs breaking.......broken legs would be better than a broken neck!"

Lady: "The AAP recommends 1 y/o and 20lbs."

Sister: "Actually the AAP changed their guidelines to "Children should ride rear facing until they reach the MAXIMUM limits of their carseat, 1 y/o and 20lbs is the MINIMUM."

Lady: "Well I've never heard of it."

Sister: "You just need to get on the internet b/c there is plenty of information out there."

THEN.........There was a EUREKA :question:moment for others in the room and people started whispering to each other "interesting" and "I'm going to check that out."

*sigh I'm so proud of my sister! :love: She's spreading the propaganda for us. :love:
Now if she only would have had a "RF unmatched safety" brochure with her! :whistle: Dang!

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yay for your sister! And what an awesome setting to do it in. With any luck the instructor will also do her research and quickly see that your dd is right.

p.s. Propoganda is only propoganda when you're distributing something in bulk hoping enough people will believe it whether it's true or not. Your sister just supplied facts, so she's "getting the information out and spreading awareness." :thumbsup:

Mommy2Marcus

YAY! WTG for your Big Sister! I can not wait till I get to call out someone! I have seen some funny looks putting my son into a RF seat, but never any qestions. I am DYING to answer some!

Calideedle

That is so great! woohoo!

And what is this brochure? I need to find a RFing and Harness past 4yrs to carry with me!

Adventuredad

Great stuff. Am I the only one thinking about the teacher? What the hell what she doing up there saying these things....?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC