expensive car seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Okay, I just joined this group and I have only one issue with a lot of the suggestions I'm seeing and getting. I live in Utah (I'm CPS certified) and most families here have 3-8 kids so they have multiple car seats.
For example, I have 3 kids and am PG with #4 (and I want one more after this one). We live quite comfortably on about $50K annually. If I were to go out and buy the seats you all are suggesting for all 4 of my kids, I would have to spend over $1000. I simply cannot afford to do that! I mean, who can? I totally understand that safety comes first but since ALL car seats meet the standards, why does it seem like everyone here only suggests the Britax and Radian seats?
I don't have the super cheap Cosco Scerena seats, mine were all around $100, give or take a bit (exept the booster which was $65).
I don't mean to pick or cause any type of contention but I'm sure there are others who use this site that feel the same.
I have read several threads that parents are scared to death to let a 6-year-old ride in a booster seat! I'm sorry but my son has been in a booster since age 4, when he reached both 40 pounds and 40 inches. I have always taught him how to sit up straight, not lean over, and not reach for things. He always wears his seatbelt correctly (I check the buckle to make sure) and I feel totally comfortable with him in his booster seat.
My 3 1/2 year old is very skinny and cannot sit in a booster for a while (she's not even 30 pounds) but she's tall (39 inches) so doesn't have a lot of room before I will have to either replace her seat or move her to a booster as well.
I do plan to RF my 13month dd for a long time (she's skinny also, not even 18 pounds yet) but she also is tall (29 inches) so will I'm sure outgrow height before weight for RF.
I try to be very cautious, I don't often let my kids go with anyone else because I want them in their car seats and I want to make sure they are installed correctly. I just don't see the need to harness to 80 pounds (I would have been 14 before I reached the weight limit). Now for some kids, I can see how the longer harness would be a great thing (larger kids for age, those with disabilities, or those who will not stay in a booster, or other circumstances) but for some of us, that is just not feasible.
I'm sure I'll get many comments on this one so it will be interesting. I hope there's some others out there that may benefit from the comments.

ADS

Lea_Ontario

... that is just not feasible.

The thing is, it IS feasible (extended rear-facing, extended harnessing, etc).

But it's not a priority for some people to do so.

The laws are a bare minimum, and do not reflect the physics of an actual crash. They are better than the nothing that many of us grew up with, but still leave a lot to be desired.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The thing is, it IS feasible (extended rear-facing, extended harnessing, etc).

But it's not a priority for some people to do so.

The laws are a bare minimum, and do not reflect the physics of an actual crash. They are better than the nothing that many of us grew up with, but still leave a lot to be desired.

Yep. More expensive car seats like the Britax or Radian seats ARE expensive, but they will last the average child until they are 5 or 6, whereas the vast majority of cheaper seats will be outgrown at a much younger age.

wildeyes

i think you see more expensive seats reccommended is for a few reasons. first, ease of use. some seats like the britax are super easy to use, with the lockoffs, no twist straps, and such.
another reason, is people tend to recomend what they have. i do the same. i love my efta, and i almost always comment on it when i see it posted.
a third reason is maybe the seats like the radian meet the parents needs more than another seat. i know my efta is very wide, and it wouldnt fit in my car with something next to it, but you see alof of marathons work in 3-across.
i do see other seats being recommended too tho. i think it's a good idea to throw all the seats out there that would work, along with the prices, and let the parent decide what they want and their budget.
i cant afford a regent for my dd, thats why i got the apex, and i am very happy with it.
another reason you see these seats is because you will get the full life out of the seat actually get used. a marathon is going to last years longer than a cheaper 3-in-one, because the harness height is so much higher, and kids need that height. most seats, even the regent, is outgrown by height long before weight. i can pretty much bet that my dd1 would be too tall for a regent before she is 80lbs, even tho she is so little now.

on the subject of your 4yr old in a booster, well, i'll just say *most* kids dont have the impulse control/maturity to sit correctly in a booster. i know my 6.5yr old doesnt. she's just too wiggly. i'm glad to hear your 4yr old does.
the other big reason alot of us recommend EH seats, is because a 5-point harness distributes the crash forces more evenly across the body, reducing injury to one specific area. i'm sure someone will give you more info on that, i'm not up on all the details.

I don't think most people here expect their kid to be in a harness til 80 pounds. The average kid is like 9 by that age or something like that.

And whenever someone mentions they're on a budget, the cheaper alternatives are mentioned and no one says they're inferior safety-wise. It's just that people on a board like that tend to be the types that will shell out more than what they normally do on a car seat cuz they're extra protective about their kids' safety.

bekah

I have had suggestions from many people for car seats that are $120-$150 each here and my son has one of them. The EFTA. So people here do suggest others. But I see your point.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Well, the reason we like the expensive seats is that until recently they were the only ones that lasted a long time. You spent $100 on seats? Which ones? A Titan, a three in one, or a Comfortsport? Something like that? You're right, they're all as safe as another. However in a big Britax (you'll note you don't see the Roundabout recommended often, and the Diplomat even less so) your child can rear face much longer than in a Comfortsport. Though maybe not as long as in a three in one. But then when you turn them around a three in one has only 14.5" top slots. The 40 pound limit is usually not needed because a child outgrows the harness by torso height long before a booster is safe. Plus it makes a bad booster.

The Comfortsport is notoriously short. Both in slots and in shell. So it's outgrown rear facing very early and usually forward facing at age two. Another harnessed seat is needed. That's $100 for a seat that isn't used very long. Plus is difficult to install in a good number of cars.

Actually, one of the most recommended seats here is the $45 Scenera. We love it. It rear faces to 35 pounds with a tall shell. It doesn't forward face very long after that, but for $45 if you get 2-3 years of rear facing use out if it, then it's a great bargain! Plus it's pretty easy to install in most vehicles, and it's very lightweight and narrow, perfect for travel.

Now another very popular seat here is the Evenflo Triumph Advance. It rear faces to 35 pounds with a tall shell, and forward faces to 50 pounds. For those who don't need the extra weight it'll actually last longer than a Marathon, since the top slots are higher.

Being CPS certified you know that most kids outgrow a seat by torso height rather than weight. Most of us don't think that our child will be 80 pounds when they outgrow a Regent or a Radian. Piper will probably be 48" and 41 pounds when she outgrows the Radian (either the 65 or 80 version) around age 8. And she'll probably be 53" and 53 pounds when she outgrows the Regent around 10.5. I don't know those numbers for sure, I'm looking at growth charts and heading up the line for the future, but that gives an idea. So does buying a seat with an 80 pound limit make sense? Yes, especially for those of us with little tiny kids (Piper is five and 35 pounds) who need the extra torso height that comes with the seat so their kids can reach a safe booster weight. I won't put Piper in a booster full time until she's 40 pounds. I won't even consider it, even if it means she's seven or eight. Occasionally, sure, but not full time. She also doesn't sit well in a booster. She likes to demonstrate that she knows what you shouldn't do by doing them. The last time she was in hers I had to tell her to sit back, sit up, don't lean, put your shoulder back under the belt, at least a dozen times. And this was with a belt locked against her.

So why do we recommend expensive seats? Because they last a long time per child, they're generally easier to use, and they're cost effective. But companies are catching on. Two of the most recommended seats cost $150 (EFTA and the Nautilus). Another of the most recommended is $45. We don't only recommend expensive seats, but we recommend seats that work for people (which the expensive ones do for most people) and that are cost effective. A three in one, a Comfortsport, a Titan, even the Roundabout, none of these are cost effective (assuming all of this for one child, if you're going to pass something down to more kids the game changes a bit, though you're still spending $1000, just on different seats at different times as needs change and seats expire).

And for those who can't afford a Britax? That's fine. The best seat is the one that fits your child, your car, your BUDGET, and will be used properly 100% of the time. Because they're all just as safe as another when used properly. It's just usually easier to use a Britax properly than say a three in one that's a bear to install and has twisty straps and a misleading harness height.

Wendy

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't have the super cheap Cosco Scerena seats, mine were all around $100, give or take a bit (exept the booster which was $65).

I use two different seats. One (Britax Boulevard) was $300, the other (Cosco Scenera) was $45. Do I prefer one over the other? Yes. Do I feel safe using both seats since I know they are both installed and used correctly? Yes.

I have read several threads that parents are scared to death to let a 6-year-old ride in a booster seat! I'm sorry but my son has been in a booster since age 4, when he reached both 40 pounds and 40 inches. I have always taught him how to sit up straight, not lean over, and not reach for things. He always wears his seatbelt correctly (I check the buckle to make sure) and I feel totally comfortable with him in his booster seat.

That's great that your son is able to properly use a booster! Good for you for teaching him to use the booster correctly :) We often recommend extended harnessing because it is safer (for all of us!) to use a 5-point harness than it is a 3-point harness (when properly used, of course).

My 3 1/2 year old is very skinny and cannot sit in a booster for a while (she's not even 30 pounds) but she's tall (39 inches) so doesn't have a lot of room before I will have to either replace her seat or move her to a booster as well.

Could you replace her seat with a Graco Nautilus? It would allow for extended harnessing. :)

Connor's Mom

Well the way that I look at it, safety is my MAIN concern. I think that it is important to EH and I just don't think that any 4 year old is ready for a booster. Plus even if they are mature enough for a booster a harnessed seat is ALWAYS safer. I would think that being a CPST you would know this.

When I went to purchase my seats I weighed the pros and cons and decided I could buy several cheap seats or one expensive seat. The majority of the cheaper seats have low harness weight limits and or low top slots there for are grown out of quickly. As far as being harnessed to 80 pounds, it will never happen with my son in his Regent. I expect that he will outgrow the seat by height well before he reaches 80 pounds. I am hoping that we will reach 7 or 8 in the seat. IMO that is well worth the $55 dollars a year that the seat averages out to price/years used. :twocents:

When it comes to protecting children from the number one killer of kids in the United States, money shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately, it often is or has to be. However, there are ways to invest in your child's safety that don't require purchasing the most expensive car seat on the market. Becoming a CPST is one of them.

The best possbile car seat out there is one that fits your child, fits your car and will be used correctly everytime it is used. The reason you have seen Britax and Sunshine Kids so often suggested is because these seats tend to meet the requirements above. A five point harness is safer than a three point harness. Thus, a seat that can be harnessed to 65 or 80 pounds is inherently safer than a 3 point harnessed booster. The extra 25 to 40 pounds of harness time equates to added safety benefits.

Further, Britax seats are one of the easiest seats for parents to install correctly everytime. They have features that other seats do not that allow for better installations by the general public. The OP, as a certified technician, has additional knowledge and training that first time parents do not have which helps when installing more complicated and difficult to install seats (i.e. those that have fewer bells and whistles and are thus less expensive).

All car seats in the United States meet the minimum Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. This doesn't mean that they are all easy to install correctly everytime. Personally, the cost of each seat we have purchased has been justified in the time not wasted to install and correctly use it. Fortunately, unlike the OP, we were able to buy our seats over time for each child. We still needed two seats for each child (one per car). However, we believe the expense was justified compared to the incalculable cost of potential injury or death to either of our children.

fyrfightermomma

I can see your point as I was very put off when I first joined here since I just thought everyone worked underground for Britax :) . But then I saw the point of what they were suggesting. Unfortunately the more expensive seats are the ones that are easiest to use (reducing misuse), tend to last children longer (saving money in the long run) and hold up better in my opinion. I wish very much those seats were in more people's price range, but they are not. The seats most people can afford are the ones that tend to be outgrown sooner by height and may be difficult to install. That is why as a rule, you see those more expensive seats suggested more often, because we know they will last a child longer.

My first child I ended up buying an infant seat ($80), then a 40 lb convertible she ended up growing out of by height($120), then a "3 in 1" so she could go in a booster later ($130) only to have her outrgrow thatas well by height at age 2.5 and then had to end up getting a 65 pound limit seat (WI law the child must be 4 AND 40 lbs to use a booster, so I needed another seat to last 2 more years!!) for another ($250ish) So all told I spent almost $600!!!! If I had just gone and bought the more expesnive 65 lb seat in the beginning like people suggested I would have only shelled out $250.00 and then a cheap booster for 25 bucks after that.

So with my second I just bought a high weight seat from day 1 that will easiliy last until age 5-6 when I am comfortable putting her in a booster.

So I think that is why the majority suggest more expensive higher weight seats. But on the other hand, many suggested the Evenflo Triumph Advance for my daughter which is much lower cost and will harness just as long for only $120.00 so that is my daughter's 2nd seat. A very reasonable price I think and will still get her to age 5 or 6 harnessed. I do hear that seat suggested alot

So its not taht we want or think everyone can afford these seats, it's just that we have seen in our experience they tend to last longer, thus avoiding most parents from buying multiple seats. When people ask suggestions I do tend to start with the lower priced seats (EFTA, Scenera, Apex, Nautilus) and then work up to the higher priced seats. I realize most people can't shell out alot of money.

I know you mentioned that to get all your kids seats you would have to spend $1000.00 +. That may be true, but the majority of parents are not buying all of their children seats at the same time. They get passed down from child to child. It's very rare that a parent would have to buy all new seats at one time for 3,4, or 5 children unless they did not have a car or seats prior so most parents would never be in that situation. Most only have to buy one or two new seats at a time.

We by no means are "well off" in any way, shape, or form. When I know my children will soon need a new seat (and when I wanted to buy them both Marathon's for the reason above) I saved up $50.00 each month. By the time #2 turned one a year later I had saved almost $600 and was able to buy the three seats. I just did what I could to make it work.

I completely understand what you are trying to say though. I hope this clears up some important points for you :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

What seat is she in and where do her shoulders fall in relation to the slots? Her overall height doesn't matter, her torso height matters (since you mention 39" here and 40" about your son). Maybe if she has room above her head and her seat allows it you could turn her rear facing for a while, rather than having to buy another seat now. But that would be quite a change, and it's probably just easier to buy another seat. However, it is an option that is cost effective.

I just don't see the need to harness to 80 pounds (I would have been 14 before I reached the weight limit). Now for some kids, I can see how the longer harness would be a great thing (larger kids for age, those with disabilities, or those who will not stay in a booster, or other circumstances) but for some of us, that is just not feasible.

As the others have said, the five point harnesses distribute the crash forces more evenly over the body than a three point harness. Having seen the videos of boosters versus harnesses I prefer the added head excursion and side impact benefits of a harness over a booster. Even a deeply winged booster like the Parkway.

A Nautilus is $150 with 18.5" top slots and a 65 pound harness limit. Then it turns into a high back booster with a 21" top belt guide height and then a low back booster. Both booster modes have a 100 pound limit. Talk about cost effective! It's also very easy to install in most cars, both with LATCH and the seatbelt, and it's FAA approved with the harness. The Apex is $110 with a 17.5" top slot and a 65 pound harness that turns into a 100 pound high back booster. It requires support to the point of the child's eyes behind it, though, and it's quite wide. Though it is FAA approved with the harness. If you have three going on four kids and a hope for a fifth, then an Apex probably isn't best for you simply because of its width. Plus, for $40 more you get over an inch more of torso growth, and a seat that turns into a high back and a low back booster.

Wendy

MommyBoha

My DS outgrew the comfortsport at age 3 and 33lbs. Rather than unsafely put him in a booster, I sucked it up and bought a Regent. Now at 5 years old, he is only 38lbs and is to wiggly to sit in a booster, nor would I let him. My DD outgrew the comfortsport at 2 years old and around 24lbs. She outgrew it RF at 18 months. so I got her the Fisher Price safe Voyage Deluxe. I scrimped and saved and used tax returns.

BW1426

The idea here is that you buy a seat that will last your child a long time. For example you could buy your child a Marathon or a Radian and it should pretty easily last them until they need to be in a booster. Now, there are becoming more options that are cheaper, such as the EFTA and Nautilus. It also has to do with ease of use. Some seats are difficult to tighten and install and I, like others, prefer to spend that extra $100 to cut down on frustration and poor installation in the future.

I'm a full time university student paying for my own education and I have purchased new, expensive seats for the kids I babysit. It's give and take. I looked at the seat investment as a week of work for me. I moved the 4 year old back into a booster. It wasn't something I thought twice about. Sure, I didn't necessarily have the money to do that, but I made it work. It was a one time investment and I made up for it by buying smaller gifts for the kids at birthday and Christmas and by minimally cutting back on my expenses such as eating out and buying clothes. I also clip coupons and we utilize the free activities in our area.

And, if you're tight on money nix the infant seat and apply that money to a better convertible.

courtfrog2

I agree with everyone's posts.

As far as extended harnessing... this website and video www.kyledavidmiller.org changed my whole attitude about carseat safety. Anytime I even think of a little child (even if over 40lbs) in a booster seat... I think of Kyle!

Yes, maybe I go to the extreme and still harness my 8 year old who fits nicely in a regent (and a nautilus for that matter), but I would rather be safe than sorry.

When we first got the regent, the Nautilus was not out yet. If it would have been out when we needed it, of course I would have bought that. $150... that's cheaper than the alpha omega 3 in 1's. I like it just as well as the Britax ones.

We got our Marathon by saving GC's from Target. We transferred ALOT of RX and had coupons so anytime we transferred the RX we would get between $20 and $30 in GC's. My family, Friends, etc all helped. We ended up getting our Marathon for $100! It does take a while, but at that time she was still in her Touriva so we had time.

Couponing, deals, etc are always mentioned on this board.

christineka

I live in Utah, have 5 kids, and my dh currently got promoted so he brings home about $50k. Our family fits the Utah family mod to a "T"!

What I have learned is that all seats are safe. When you start out investing in a seat you ought to look at the long term of the seat. Now, I knew very little about car seats until about a year ago. Our seats were cheap and not what anyone here would recommend, but they did work. Especially, for our situation where we had one kid move out of a seat and another one take their place. I didn't need a seat to last from birth to age 8.

Since I had a son who grew too heavy for his 40 pound harness and could not sit safely all the time (especially while asleep) in his booster, I scrimped and saved to get him a radian. (The only high weight seat that would fit in my 7 passenger van.)

Next I decided I wanted my peanut of a 3 year old to rear-face. Her seat was going to expire soon anyway. Again, I saved my money (I teach piano lessons.) to buy the cheapest seat out there- the Cosco scenera for $44.

Now I am looking at the new monterey for my oldest child. I am devising plans to make money quicker. (Selling stuff)

When a strong desire is there, you can make a way for it to happen.

I understand that if I decided to go buy britax seats for all 5 of my kids I would have to spend $$$$$ not just for the seats, but for the bigger vehicle to fit them in! The truth is, that my 6 and 8 year olds are fine in boosters. My son may be in a harness o age 8 just because he can and is used to the harness. My next child is the peanut. I may just invest in a chase for her. She may be 6 years old before she reaches 40 pounds. The third can inherit the radian. I may buy another radian.

My ds rode in a tribute I got from a seat check. It isn't as good as the scenera, but if bought in a store costs $12 more. I also have a titan I was given. It is not so different from the tribute. (The wide version.) I think new it costs $50 more than the scerena. Cheap seats are not all created equal.

Christine

Mommy2Marcus

I do see your point. I also thought the exact same thing when I started looking at all the car seat boards I look at. Someone suggested that I get a Britax Marathon when my 5 month old outgrew his Snugride. I was like NO WAY am I spending $300 on a car seat, so I bought the Safety 1st 3 in 1 that cost $150 at Wal-Mart. I thought that it would be the VERY last seat I would ever need, right...WRONG! My DS outgrew it RF & FF at 17 months. He had NO growing room left in it. I bought it in April of 07 & he outgrew it in March of 08, so not even a years worth of use out of it. I felt that it was the biggest waste of money ever. The reason that I suggest the more expensive seats is b/c I know 1st hand how fast they outgrow the less expensive seats. Now saying that I own a Marathon, a Triumph & a Scenera. I LOVE both the Marathon & the Triumph SO much. I reccomend the Triumph ALL the time as it is a very affordable seat I feel. I feel perfectly safe using my Scenera, but would prefer a Triumph, but money was an issue. I bought these seats so that I could turn my 17 month old DS back RF from FF. I feel that he is much safer RF than he is FF even though he is over a year & almost 25lbs. So I am not saying that the less expensive seats are unsafe, but as experence would show with me ALOT of kids outgrow these seats way before they are 40lbs as well as before they are old enough for a booster. I also feel very uncomfortable with a 4 year old 40lb child in a booster seat. I think that from all of the research I have seen & done or myself that EH is MUCH safer than a 4yo 40lb child in a booster. Just because they can does not mean it is safe. I am sorry that you think that there is no need for EH, but I feel there is. If you do not understand why then maybe you should do a little looking into WHY people are SO worried about a small child in a booster seat.

U

Unregistered1

Generally I feel that if you can make the expensive seat work, do it. Kids' safety is so important. But people like me, starving college students, CANT do it. Then it comes down to the kids stats to me. If I was watching a 40 lb 2 year old, I would invest in a Nautilus because that child NEEDS to be harnessed, but instead I am watching a 31 lb almost 5-year-old, so I can get away just fine with her in a EF Chase and Bolero. Price is a secondary factor, it comes down to which seat fits your child. The cheaper seats tend to fit smaller kids better whereas larger children, because their weight does not match their physical development, require more expensive seats. I would not have a problem recommending the Chase or Bolero to a parent with a child A's size, but I would recommend that the parent of a larger child scrimp a bit and spend a little more, make sense?

A lot of times we recommend the expensive seats first because they have the most features, the best ease of use, and can be used the longest. If someone CAN afford them, we want them to know what they have to offer. But if cost is a factor we take into consideration the cheapest seat that will fit the child correctly and get them at least to the legal minimums (but hopefully further).

And so far NO ONE has judged me for having 2 EF and 1 Graco seat (that is not a Nautilus) - we all just do the best we can with what we have. :)

TerisBoys

:yeahthat:

I'm one of the "worriers" that has my 5.5yo (45#, 44", 15.75" torso) harnessed. That said - he has high functioning autism and sensory issues. He does not sit properly in a booster despite being coached and would be all over the cabin in my van if he were in one (I tried). He rides in a Nautilus.

My middle child is tall and lean (53#, 52", 18.5" torso). He just got a new (old stock) Britax StarRiser/Comfy to replace an expired hand-me-down seat. A friend found me one at a local store for $40.

My oldest is 5'2" tall with a 20" torso. He's still in a backless BigKid booster - by choice. My van seats are low to the floor and his legs are uncomfortable if he's not boostered.

FWIW - I'm a single mom, and I make less than $20k a year. If Ryan cannot sit properly in a seatbelt when he outgrows his Nautilus (2" torso to grow) we'll look into taller seats. I'm hoping that I've bought him 2 years of SAFE riding. Knowing my kids are as safe as I can make them makes every drive easier for me.

skaterbabs

I live in an area with a very high cost of living. My family brings home just over $50k a year BEFORE taxes. We have expensive seats (Britax) because when we purchased the seats we have, less expensive seats that would meet our needs did not exist. The difference is that we make it a priority to minimize the risk factors over which we have control. That means rear facing to the limits, harnessing past the minimum, and boostering until no booster fits any longer.

That said, I haven't recommeded a Marathon to a parent in months. Except for the couple with twins and a Lexus, and that was because it was clearly what they wanted, and they had no qualms about buying two at BRU that minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC