CPS Tech Liability at Fitting Stations

C

Caviller

CPS Tech Liability at Fitting Stations

Anyone know what the legal ramifications are of being a volunteer tech at a fitting day or fitting station?

Is some type of insurance necessary in the event of an error with an installation, miscommunication of advice, or simply someone who sues everyone after a lethal auto accident?

If so, do these events have their own insurance, or is there a specific type of personal policy for such liability?

I suspect all will be covered in the 4-day class, but I'm curious anyway..

ADS
K

kymberlee26

Re: CPS Tech Liability at Fitting Stations

The only thing I am aware of on this topic is that AAA is offering liability insurance to techs. I suppose you could contact them for further information on what they cover.

C

cps tech

To quote the manual from the 4 day NHTSA course, "Historically, there were no successful suits against a car safety education or loan program." Besides the AAA insurance that is offered to certified techs, some check up events are covered by insurance. It's something you may want to ask before participating in one. The keys to avoiding liability is to take it all very seriously, keep current, document *everything*, make sure all materials you hand out are current, and if there isn't a good way to do something you need to tell them "I can't tell you a safe way to do that" or "I don't know but will try to find out."

We also try to have the parents or caregiver actually install the seat before they leave so that they are the last ones to touch it. As long as you give them the correct information, it would be very hard for them to hold you liable for anything. A good checklist like those used at most events remind you what all needs to be covered when discussing usage with the parents. I also make sure to remind parents to check their seat everytime they put the child in it to be sure that it is installed correctly and being used correctly.

M

murphydog77

My local Safe Kids buys insurance for the day that covers all volunteers. I plan to buy the AAA insurance as well when I get the form for it.

We also have the parent be the last person to touch the seat or install the seat and put the child in the seat, just in case they come back after a crash and try to blame us for a failure.

Heather

C

Caviller

Since I'm too lazy to call AAA just yet, any idea how much the insurance is? Is it by the event or by year?

Thanks for all the info, all!

C

cps tech

AAA Liability Insurance

It is $55/year with Gotham Insurance Company. The policy is in effect for one year with current certification. If AAA certification expires, your coverage expires. There is no deductible and it covers defense costs, damages or awards against the insured, property damage.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC