Need help buying a new car?

BW1426

I am in search of a new vehicle, well, new to me at least. My budget is about $12,000. I want something I can fit three across (I have a Radian) that has lower anchors (at least two sets) and top anchors. I'd also like nice trunk room and great gas mileage. My top picks thus far are:
VW Passat Wagon
Volvo XC70

I wish I could find something domestic simply because of the dealerships where I live. I like the idea of a wagon, but they are also hard to find. Any suggestions?

ADS

southpawboston

if you don't need AWD, i would go for a regular volvo V70... tons of room, not an SUV, and can do three across (as long as there's at least one radian in the mix). it's also very safe and not bad on gas. i would not trust a used passat wagon... way too many problems!

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I have a Dodge Intrpid that gets about 25 MPG, has 3 full sets of latch, i can fit a LOT and LOT of combos for 3 across and were able to fit enough lugage for the 5 of us on a 16 hour drive to florida last spring ! The prices of them used are pretty grood, crash tests are OK/good but not best (i'm not sure if newere modles have curtain air bags or not, mine is '04).

brightredmtn

More recent VWs have become notoriously bad in reliability. Sadly gone are the days of VWs running forever with few problems. Safety wise they are decent but like SPB wrote I just wouldn't trust even a new one. It's too bad because I normally would definitely be a VW person. I grew up with my mom having two VWs. One for 11 years and the other for 15! She didn't replace them because they just kept running and running and running... Her 1998 Jetta was a completely different story though and we've been a Japanese only family ever since.

southpawboston

It's too bad because I normally would definitely be a VW person. I grew up with my mom having two VWs. One for 11 years and the other for 15! She didn't replace them because they just kept running and running and running... Her 1998 Jetta was a completely different story though and we've been a Japanese only family ever since.

yeah, i've had lots of VWs, back in the day when they were really reliable. as gorgeous as the new ones are (and they ride and handle amazingly!), i don't think i'd touch one for fear of constant trips to the dealer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC