1998 Ford Expedition carseat install questions

lovemyfamily

My neighbor just recently purchased the above described vehicle, from a private party. Her kids are 4 and 2, baby #3 is due in August. Currently she has the 4yo in a Regent, outboard passenger in the 3rd row, and 2yo in a Marathon, FF, center 2nd row. I went over to look at her seats today, she didn't feel they were installed tight enough. The 4yos Regent was so loose, I could almost move it clear to the center seating position! I fixed that quickly with a LBP install, it is a pre-advisory Regent and she understood that what I was doing was against the new guidelines etc. The install is now correct and VERY solid. The MA was a diff. story. Her middle seat in the 2nd row is a lap only belt, and it is retracts, not like a typical lap belt that has an adjuster strap to make it tight. I could not even begin to the get the MA installed in that center seat, I tried pulling the belt all the way and letting it rachet back in, it would not do this, while her shoulder belts, in the outboard positions, would. So I ended up installing it outboard driver, a much tighter install, since I was able to use the lock off. She has concerns about installing her Graco safeseat that she purchased for the baby, she wants it middle seat 2nd row and I honestly don't know if there is anyway to do it. I have never installed a seat with a locking clip, and am not sure how to do it, or if it can be done with the Safeseat. Does anyone have any experience with this seatbelt, and this vehicle. Suggestions? OR, is she out of luck using that seating position and will baby have to ride outboard? She had intended to put her 2nd child in the outboard seat, 3rd row, once baby arrives anyway. TIA!

ADS

lovemyfamily

Bump! Hoping someone can answer this.
Although I think I found the answer. I read in my Peg Viaggio manual that the kind of seatbelt she has in her Expedition is not to used with the Viaggio, so I am thinking it should not be used with any seat. It is one that only locks on impact, so maybe a locking clip would work? I don't know since I have no experience with them.

scatterbunny

That center lapbelt in the Explorer is an ALR lapbelt, it locks on its own, the same as the shoulderbelts, by ratcheting back in. I'm not sure what the trouble was, exactly? You never use locking clips on just a lapbelt, they are for lap/shoulderbelts only. And, the SafeSeat has a built-in lockoff like the Marathon, so there's no need for a locking clip at all.

lovemyfamily

It doesn't rachet back in. It is an Expedition if it makes any difference. In fact, I just talked to her and it unbuckles at both sides, if that makes sense? It has a button on either side, is what she is telling me. I remember when we were trying to install the MA there, there was no way to get the belt to stay tight, it would loosen very easily, so it wasn't locking, even when trying to rachet it.
I had no clue what a locking clip is for, so thanks for the clarification.
So the Safeseat has a lockoff on the base? Neat!

scatterbunny

Weird! My friend has an Expedition, a 99, but I can't remember dealing with the center belt. I'll see if I can get her to bring it over in the next day or two.

Yes, the SafeSeat base has a lockoff, it's great. :thumbsup:

lovemyfamily

Weird! My friend has an Expedition, a 99, but I can't remember dealing with the center belt. I'll see if I can get her to bring it over in the next day or two.

Yes, the SafeSeat base has a lockoff, it's great. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Let me know if you figure anything out.
I have to say that I saw them at Tball today and she had the MA in that center position. She mentioned to me how loose it was! I just said, well why did you move it! :mad: I also noticed that her DH had installed their older son's Regent in the 2nd row too, and I bet it was just like it was before. Why bother having me help if you don't follow directions! :thumbsdown:

ProudMomof5

I have a '98 expedition and in that center seat in the mid row I have installed a snugride base, a cosco touriva and a evenflo generations.
It is hard to get a tight install, but its possible. At least in my vehicle.
I am not sure what you mean by it buckling on both sides though. Ours only buckles on the one side. Its the kind that clicks in.. if you pull it all the way out, it'll click back in and be locked.
So what works for us is to get the belt as tight in the carseat as we can, after its pulled all the way out so it'll lock back in... then we unbuckle it and let it go in one more "click" and then rebuckle it. I need my DH to do that last part though, I am just not strong enough.
It works though.

I hope that helps... that is if the seatbelts are even the same in her expedition as in mine!

ETA - I just reread your original post... so you are saying it will not lock back in when pulled all the way out? That doesn't sound right to me... I wonder if there is something wrong with the seat belt. Maybe she could call the dealership and ask... it should lock somehow.

TXAggieTech

I have installed in Expeditions before, center second, and don't recall similar problems. I recline the vehicle seat, pull the belt all the way out, thread through the belt bath, remove the slack, then unrecline the vehicle seat to tighten even more.

We have an Excursion and it is the same thing.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Is it possible the seat belt in question is an after-market addition? As in, the previous owner's dog chewed up the seat belt, and they replaced it incorrectly?

I know it's not your vehicle, but if you could take pictures we would appreciate it, just for our own curiosity if nothing else. :)

I would recommend they go see a certified tech. They may listen better if it's a tech explaining why they can't use their "new" vehicle they way they'd hoped.

Tara

uh...yeah, I'm not getting the seat belt situation
I also have a 98 Expedition, the lap belt ratchets back in. It can be a booger, you have to feed it back in and take your time, but, that's how it works.
I am just not 'getting' what kind of belt you are describing on this thing. Any chance of a picture?

For the record...I have installed a MA ff and rf in that center position w/o a problem as well as a Graco Snugride. If that's of any help/consolation.

U

Unregistered

We just got a 1998 expedition and the plan is to put the two oldest FF in the back, I don’t see any anchors back there’s we have two dionos. HELP

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We just got a 1998 expedition and the plan is to put the two oldest FF in the back, I don’t see any anchors back there’s we have two dionos. HELP

Hi, tether anchor retrofits are (were) available for the second row but not the third. Who else is in the vehicle? How old are the children?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC