Ideas for travelling alone with 2 kids by plane

raelynn

Senior Community Member
I am going to Cleveland in July for 2 weeks, likely without my DH, just me and my 2 kids. It will cost me another seat ($550ish) to get my DS his own seat, but I am more concerned with how I am going to manage 2 kids, all our luggage and a carseat through 2 busy airports (no direct flights to Cleveland from here). If I have to pay for another seat, there is NO way I could afford the Go-Go Kidz carseat caddy, so it would be up to me to manage it all myself. My DD could help somewhat, but I cannot realistically count on her to be in charge of luggage or a carseat. I am hoping to get all of our stuff into 1 suitcase, but still, it's a lot to manage myself.

I need ideas/suggestions, because I don't know what to do! When I travelled domestically over the summer with my DS, he was a lap baby for 1 way and in his seat the other way, and the flight attendants made me keep him in his seat the entire trip. What do you do on a longer trip if the child is stir-crazy? I've looked into red-eye flights but there doesn't seem to be any unless I want a several-hour wait at the transfer airport.

ADS

NVMBR02

I travel with both my kids (and 2 carseats) myself quite often. I bought a $20 luggage cart from Walmart and use bungee cords to secure both carseats (one on top of the other) You could also use a bungee cord to secure the carseat to a carryon if you have one with wheels. I can push a stroller and pull the cart but I have also used a sling on a trip I wasn't bringing the stroller.
My kids tend to sleep on the plane, it doesn't matter what time we fly. I also bring Magnadoodles, books and a lot of snacks ot keep them busy!

BW1426

Are you meeting people in Clevland or are you renting a car?

I think it would be really helpful if someone dropped you off at the airport (that way they could check the luggage and help you get situated before you went through security).

*I personally, would take your radian. I know you cannot install it RF on most planes, but I think it is going to be your most hassel free option because of how it can be carried (it will leave your hands free).

*I'd also take an umbrella stroller and try to fit all your carry ons into 2 backpacks (one for DD to carry and something that could fit on the back of the stroller without tipping it over). DD could push DS in the stroller and it could be gate checked.

*All flights that I have been on have allowed families with small children to board early.

*While it would be nice to have everything in one suitcase, I would be more worried about packing in a luggage cart friendly way (if that makes sense). Try and think about how things will best fit on a cart (that is if someone's not meeting you in Clevland). If someone is meeting you I wouldn't worry about the luggage so much, as they can meet you at baggage claim.

*If it were me, I'd throw in a sling (or whatever kind of carrier you use)

*Take plenty of snacks and I'd take an empty sippy cup for DS. Buy a couple bottles of water once you get past security.

*A small surprise (toy, book, etc) if things start to go downhill on the plane.

Security tips:
*make sure your kids have shoes on that come off easily for security and have whoever drops you off help you get their coats off, etc. so you don't have to do that at the security point.

*Check the security page for the airline ahead of time and see if it says what needs to be taken out of your bags before you get to the security checkpoint.

*Make sure you follow the new liquid requirements as some airline carriers are extremely strict about this. (I had to get out of the security line because I had one liquid item and it was in the wrong size bag :scratcheshead:

Where is your layover and carrier? Some airport carriers, such as Detroit have some cool things that kids are attracted to.

Also, depending on the length of your air carrier I would definately check into if they have a private club (ex. Northwest Airlines World Clubs). I only have experience with NWA World Clubs, but they offer free snacks, it is a separate area from the main floor and with NWA kids are free with an adult. They also have comfy seating area. The other nice thing is the kids can run around without safety being as big of an issue as there are so many less people.

natysr

I use the Traveling Toddler and I love it. It will connect your Britax to your small rolling carry-on via the LATCH straps. It is $15 at Amazon. This will turn your suitcase/carseat into a stroller which your child can ride it. (It is as sturdy as your peice of luggage, so use a good quality one). Then, I would gate check that peice of luggage, so you don't have to bring it down the aisle. Then each of you should bring your own backpack as a carry-on. (I used a "climbing hook" to attached Jordan's little backpack to the rolling suitcase.)

Also, I'm sure your older child will be of great help.

Good luck!

ffpmcps

We are going to traveling in May and a gogo kidz is just not in our budget either. I had read about people using a luggage cart in a similar way so I experimented. I to bought a luggage cart for $20 from Walmart like a PP mentioned, it holds up to 120lbs. I then took my car seat and put it on there and secured it by bring the latch strap around the back and hooking them then brought the tether over the top and down and hooked it. All the points they are hooked on are metal. I was going to take pics, but didn't get a chance yet, sorry. Hope the description makes sense. I then wheeled DD#1 around the garage a bit :) It seemed to be pretty secure, quick to attach and worked pretty well.

Andrea

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC