pontiac/toyota allow center tethering?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I tried to search but am search challenged or something, because I could not find what I need to know, and I'm sure someone here knows...and my LATCH book is at a friends house who just moved so she has no clue where it is...:confused: Are you allowed to center LATCH in the pontiac vibe? (it's basically a toyota matrix if that helps..) I assumed NO, since most vehicles do not allow borrowing of LATCH anchors, so I advised a lady at work who is having a baby to install her seat in the rear middle with seat belt, but if I'm wrong, I want to tell her so she can do it with LATCH.
Thanks!

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
The quick pages for the LATCH maual say
Follow CR instructions
. Complete LATCH to 48 lbs. It will depend on the car seat. It will not hurt for her to install in the center with a seabelt. Infact if she gets used to it she may prefer it.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
but there aren't any actual anchors in the center, she would be borrowing one from each outboard position, and my understanding was that most vehicles do not allow that? Does pontiac allow the borrowing of anchors?

Mae

I have an '04 Pontiac grand am and I'm not allowed center install with LATCH... Don't know if that helps any.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
but there aren't any actual anchors in the center, she would be borrowing one from each outboard position, and my understanding was that most vehicles do not allow that? Does pontiac allow the borrowing of anchors?

This is directly from my LATCH manual:
Lower anchor use with non standard bars in center position: GM advises consumers to follow child restraint manufacturer instructions in all cases, including whether the inboard lower anchors can be used to secure a CR in a center position. Some center positions in GM vehicles are designated LATCH positons with thier own set of lower anchors.

So what this translated to is IF the car seat manufactuer allows the use of non standard spacing lower anchors then GM says it is fine. I KNow Britax allows the use of non standared spacing.

What kind of car seat does she have? She needs to read the manual to see if it allows the use of non standard spacing. As you know lower anchors are equally as safe as a seatbelt. I would just have her use the seatbelt in the center even if the car seat manufacture allows the use of non standard spacing to be used. :twocents:

southpawboston

but the problem is that the OP's car is really a toyota that's just *branded* a GM, and i don't think the LATCH manual takes exceptions like these into account. so, the anchor system and supporting frame is identical to that found on the toyota matrix, not other GM vehicles. so, in this case, i would defer to what toyota says, which is NO center LATCH usage.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
but the problem is that the OP's car is really a toyota that's just *branded* a GM, and i don't think the LATCH manual takes exceptions like these into account. so, the anchor system and supporting frame is identical to that found on the toyota matrix, not other GM vehicles. so, in this case, i would defer to what toyota says, which is NO center LATCH usage.

I see what you are saying and do agree. I personally do not like that some vehicles allow the use of non standard spacing. I feel if there is not a set of lower anchors designated you just should not do it even if it is permitted by the car seat manufacturer. It is easy to do a seat belt install once you have done it a few times.

crunchierthanthou

my advice to the coworker would be to check her vehicle owner's manual and only use a seatbelt for center installs unless it clearly states borrowing is allowed. Which carseat is she using? Not all manufacturers allow for non-standard spacing, so it may be a non-issue anyway.

The LATCH manual is somewhat unclear about the Vibe. For the 06-07, it says that there is only a TA for the center position (which I believe is correct). However, the notes say "Can use all 3 LATCH at the same time" (which I believe is an error).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC