Preschool field trips, no carseat?

AliRR

I am going to be starting a new job soon and looking at preschools for my daughter. I really liked the school we toured today, and they mentioned taking field trips. When I asked about transportation for the field trips, the owner told me they are exempt from needing to use seats in their vans because of the capacity and the children ride in waist restraints. :eek:
Is that possible? How can I find the laws for this? They're just regular vans, not school buses.

And if we did choose that school, how could I approach them about requiring a seat for my dd? I don't want her left out of activities, and I couldn't really transport her myself because I'm looking for schools so I can go to work.

ADS

Loves2sing

I personally would be either finding another pre-school, or finding volunteers whether it be you or your spouse/grandparent/friend/ect to carpool for the fieldtrips.:twocents:

aisraeltax

They probably have their van classified as a school bus but that is crazy!! I agree..I would try talking to them or look elsewhere.

good luck finding a good preschool...that was one of the hardest things ive ever had to do as a parent!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Here are the exemptions for Kansas and Missouri (your user info says KC but I'm not sure which state)

Kansas:
All vehicles designed for carrying 10 passengers or less.

Missouri:
The provisions of this section shall not apply to any public carrier for hire. The provisions of this section shall not apply to students four years of age or older who are passengers on a school bus designed for carrying eleven passengers or more and which is manufactured or equipped pursuant to Missouri Minimum Standards for School Buses as school buses are defined in section 301.010, RSMo.

So yes, it's possible, but that doesn't mean it's safe. They may be exempt from state laws, but they're not exempt from the laws of physics.

BabyKaykes

They may be exempt from state laws, but they're not exempt from the laws of physics.

:yeahthat:

I really loved my son's old daycare. She eventually bought a 12passenger van and was exempt from CA child seat laws. During the summer she and her assistants took the kids to the aquarium, the zoo, and all over town...My kid stayed home with my grandmother.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
If you really like the school, I would talk to them about using a carseat for your child. You could go in on days of field trips and install the seat in the van. If they are not willing to work with you, I would find somewhere else or keep your child home on field trip days or find someone else to transport your child for field trips. I would not let my small child ride in a lap belt.

Dillipop

When my DS was at the YWCA for school, they went on 1 field trip. The other kids were all in lap belts or ill fitting seatbelts, but DS was in his booster with a lap-shoulder. It was very sad to see the other kids without anything. I made a point that DS was not to be in a van without his booster and the school was fine with that. Then I taught DS how to put the seat in the vehicle, put the belt through the guide, and then buckle, so that he wouldn't be dependant on a teacher that didn't know what they were doing. We transferred him to another school soon after and haven't had to deal with field trips since.

Just talk to the admin at the school and make it known that your child will not be transported without an appropriate restraint. I don't know of any school that would say no...but stranger things have happened, I guess.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC