Spin off to airbag/front seat post...any suggestions for my friend?

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My good friend's dh is a custom cabinet maker. He drives a Ford work van with no rear seats. Currently the dh never drives the kids anywhere unless he's operating my friend's car because the front passenger seat in the van has an airbag with no sensor and no turn off switch. Since my friend has been a SAHM it's not been a problem...but now that she's returning to the workforce they will need the dad to pick up at least 1 child from daycare (2 kids in 2 different daycares) serveral times a week.

They've called Ford directly and the local dealers. No one is willing to disable the airbag...no matter what. They've offered to sign a release, etc. Nope. So they're stuck. Either buy an additional vehicle (which would be difficult right now) or mom has to always do the pickups/dropoffs for both girls. Any other suggestions to get the airbag disabled? Anyone with experience dealing with Ford on this?

Thanks!

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Disregard! I answered my own question...was searching the wrong way. They likely can't disable but they CAN apply to NHTSA for an authorization for an on/off switch for the van since they fall into two of the approved categories. I've printed out all the stuff for her and hopefully that will be the solution! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC