Why I *LOVE* unrealistically high harness weight limits

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They just CAN'T be misused based on weight. (well, they can, anything is possible, but it'd be by a very tiny minority, compared to the huge numbers of 45-50 pound kids shoved into 40 pound seats because parents think harnessing is safer at any cost).
It's like having a nice over-engineered seatbelt in your car. No, most of us DON'T need seatbelts that can restrain a 300+ pound person, but do you want to have to fret and worry and weigh yourself and your riders if they start making seatbelts that only hold an average sized person and nothing more? No. You don't want to have to worry about it working, it just works. Same with seats with 'unrealistcally' high weight limits. If we're ever thinking "I just wish they'd make a seat that fits at least some kids to 65 or 80 pounds" then it's entirely possible we simply don't know enough kids. There are plenty of them, and we can't judge weight limits on seats based on our own small sampling of kids we know, IMO.

Anyway, that's just my deep thought of the day :)

ADS

Tara

ooooooo Jools has gone so deep today

I completely agree though. Much better to 'err' to the side of unrealistically HIGH harness weight limits. :thumbsup:

bombedier

Senior Community Member
Hear Hear! Another reason why the foundation donates the 80 vintage of Radian rather than the 65. :thumbsup:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't disagree, but I would love it more if more parents understood about when seats are outgrown by height.

bombedier

Senior Community Member
I don't disagree, but I would love it more if more parents understood about when seats are outgrown by height.

At least with the Radian, there is that little bit of leaway with allowing the shoulders to above the top slot. I didn't think of it in those terms beforehand, but your point just brought that home.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, that's true. I used to drive behind a kid in our old neighborhood in a low seatback Jeep in a convertible seat that his head was completely above the top... there really does need to be more warning about how seats are outgrown by height...:thumbsup: (I'm sure he was also well above the weight limit, and no top tether... so many issues there... :()

Anyone remember the old FP Safe Embrace booster? It had minimum and maximum shoulder height lines on the cover, it was *genius*!

bombedier

Senior Community Member
That is genius! The Nautilus with the weight limit stamped on the pad is a step in the right direction again.

sirrahn

Anyone remember the old FP Safe Embrace booster? It had minimum and maximum shoulder height lines on the cover, it was *genius*!

Hey, I still have one of those! That was a cool feature :thumbsup:

I don't *think* it's expired yet, but I should probably check it next time we're at the IL's. They almost never drive the kids, but it lives in their garage just in case. They also have my Grow with Me somewhere. I should probably let DD2 take it out for a spin for old time's sake before it needs to be trashed;)

tjham

I really miss the old FP seats. The Safe Embrace convertible remains my all-time favorite seat.

Then you'll be jealous of me!
I'm still using TWO of them, DOM 2001! (good to 2009)
The worst part is, I originally had 3 of them and stupidly TOOK ONE BACK :rolleyes: !

mcomommy

I like because it means I don't have too weigh my child all the time, they will get too tall before weight anyhow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC