help! huge no-use by not so close friend!

minismom

i'm trying to be friends w this girl who's close friends w other friends of mine. they're from finland and going back and forth here and there. she came for a playdate today. the husband left. then later her bil comes to get her w his 5yo. the 5yo is in front seat w shoulder belt behind her back. my friend then puts her 2 and a half yo in the back seat w just a belt, also shoulder belt behind belt. wtf??? I don't know what they have in their main car. I'm havimg dinner w them now and don't know if I should say something. help!

ADS

mommy2env

First of all, where have you been? Long time no chat. :p

I have no idea how you should approach her. How about...

"Did you know I am a tech? I really need practice, would you mind if I install your seat?"

Then, you can ask what kind she has, and take it from there. That would be a great time to give her all the info you have.

I know, my idea is lame. Thats all I could come up with, everything else would sound mean. :whistle:

kirsty

my friend does the same with her kids, she puts her 4 1/2 year old in a backless booster in the front with the belt under his arm(hes short and not tall anoth for it). she then puts her very small 3 year old in high back booster in the back and quiet often she dosnt have that seat so she just in the seat belt. this really anoys me as she has 4 car seats. i have told her so many times she just thinks i worry too much, she thinks im stupid to put a 7 year old in a high back booster seat.

aisraeltax

most of these examples are illegal though, right?

i think there needs to be some standard spill for how unsafe it is, etc. etc. etc. I know I need to work on that but the fact that what these parents are doing is illegal should be compelling reason enough NOT to do it their way. I mean, for some "your kid isnt safe" is just not enough...they need "you could get a ticket for that".....

LCMOM

Senior Community Member
Depends on your goal: is it more critical to not offend them, knowing they will likely blow you off anyway (grrrr), or is it more important for you to advocate for the kids' safety? IS this genuine ignorance or is this a real choice for them? I would (and have) approach with something like "I know this is your business as a parent, so tell me if I'm being too nosy; I am a CPS tech and I am really concerned that all parents have the correct info about car seat safety"; if they don't shut you right down then, you may actually be able to get them to at least comply with the laws. Good luck!!!! This is SUCH a frustrating thing to deal with, I know.

minismom

Yes, it's definitely illegal!! I was totally hoping they'd get pulled over. I mean, the 5 yo in the front seat, c'mon. Any idiot knows it's illegal! And the worst part is that when they got here my friend's BIL mentioned that the 5yo was in a bad mood cause he had a sudden stop and she hit her head. Yeah duh! :eek:
I think she knows I'm a tech. When we first met the friend we have in common mentioned it, cause they're from Finland and my friend knows I'm obsessed with scandinavian seats. I even asked if she had "the cool seats that RF to 25kgs" and she didn't seem to know much about RF and shrug it off with something like "I dont think much about this stuff, I just put them there". I didn't realize it was THAT bad though. At the end of dinner last night I wanted to see what they had for her in their car but we were parked in opposite directions so I didnt' get a chance. I ended up not saying anything, they're going back to Finland next week so I figured they wouldn't do anything about it anyway. But man was it hard...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC