Daycare and carseats

Milkie&Cookie

Uggg - I'm so irritated today and don't know where else to vent. I :love: my Daycare provider. She watched my son from when he was 2 1/2 until he went to school full time this year. She's had my daughter since she was 12 weeks old. She accomodates all my requests (cloth diapers, lets me come bf the baby during lunch, etc). She knows how important safety and carseats are to me because we talk about stuff when I visit at lunch to feed my daughter.

On Wednesdays she takes one of the little boys to preschool at the request of his parents. The preschool is only a mile away, but on very busy commercial roads. Usually I see a crappy assed ancient HBB in her car or driveway. I've seen in his mom's car and she has a backless booster for him. He's only 4. He's tiny. He's smaller than my son who is an absolute peanut (his stats are in my siggy). I've told DCP how much safer harnesses are than seats. Today I went to feed DD at lunch and noticed that no booster was in her car. I asked her about it and mom said to take the kid just in the seatbelt! :eek: DCP drives a tiny Saturn. These are very busy accident prone roads. I know its not DCP's fault. I would never let anyone drive my kid on main roads w/out a proper restraint. I told her to take my car and buckle him in Alex's Regent. She was really grateful, but I was late back to work and now I have to work 30 minutes longer today. :mad: (DD won't eat at daycare so she's starving by the time I get home. She wants her milkie and this is going to make her wait 30 more minutes!:(

I know its not DCP's fault, but if I were her, I would have told mom and dad to get me a seat. Kiddo's parents seem nice, well educated, etc. I don't know what to do. If it happens again, I will feel horrible letting her go w/out a seat, but at the same time, I can't risk my job because some other parent is willfully endagering their child.

Ugggg

ADS

Stretchy Glue

Actually, to be honest, it is the dcp fault for putting a kid in a car without a proper seat. (Even if she didn't this time) She is 100% liable since she is transporting and caring for the kid. If she were to ask me, I would recommend that she buy new seats herself for the kids she transports so she is not liable for any missing parts, misuse, accidents they may have been in, etc.
If she drove him in her car without a seat and he's under the law in your state, she is liable, and as a parent, I would question her transporting my children.:twocents:

Last edited:

Shaunam

I agree. It's not the DCP fault that the mom is irresponsible, but she CAN refuse to drive him without a proper seat.

I'm sorry your DD has to wait to eat! :(

Loves2sing

I am glad that you helped her out in this situation, but your DCP needs to grow a pair and refuse to take the kid anywhere without being properly restained if only for legality issues. Do really think these parents won't sue her if something happened? I'll bet it would be their first course of action.:twocents: If you bring it up to her in that way, she may re-think her stance.

arly1983

I hate to agree but when I was a Daycare Provider, I bought my own seat(s) and claimed them as expenses on my tax returns. Most states (GA does) holds the daycare provider responsable if the child is not properly restrained while with the provider. It would be best if she invests in some that could do double duty like a 3 in 1 or Nautilus but ultimately it is her responability and that makes her liable.

Stretchy Glue

"Grow a pair":ROTFLMAO::sarcasitc-bow:

I "think" in most states, the driver is responsible for all passengers under 16 in their car, therefore, even if the parent puts the car seat in and it's wrong, recalled, misused, etc. I think most states the driver would still be responsible. I always encourage dcp's to go buy seats for themselves and figure out how to use each of them in all ways they can be used.:twocents:

Milkie&Cookie

I am glad that you helped her out in this situation, but your DCP needs to grow a pair and refuse to take the kid anywhere without being properly restained if only for legality issues. Do really think these parents won't sue her if something happened? I'll bet it would be their first course of action.:twocents: If you bring it up to her in that way, she may re-think her stance.

Grow a pair! :ROTFLMAO: I know! I just don't know how to say it w/out sounding mean. This other family and ours were her original clients and our boys have been together for 3 years now. Its always that fine line and I don't want to seem holier than thou. For example, I BF, she didn't. I use cloth dipes, she didn't. Here kids are always sick, mine aren't. Etc etc etc. But, this is not only dangerous, its illegal!

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
The flip side...is by her not restraining their child properly---she's putting YOUR child at risk. Go at it from that angle...then you are protecting your own.

As a DCP, I provide my own seats. Currently I have a Scenera and a GN on order. Actually I bought a GN and gave it up for my neice, so I'm waiting on the one my SIL ordered.

Susan

seamonkeys

Yeah, what is your state law? In CA I believe it's 6 or 60 lbs to ride in no booster (still mad at Arnold for vetoing the 8 yr or 4'9" law here!!!!). I thought that was the lowest limit these days. So it's possible the parents aren't just being unsafe, but breaking the law? If so, at least the DCP would have good reason to tell the parents that she cannot drive her w/out a booster.

Misty-Bug

I didn't read all the replies yet so forgive me if I double post....

She would be at fault though. It is her responsibility to safely transport the child. Here is an example. My daycare boy weighs less then my 26ish lb 2 year old. They are both 2. The parents have their son FFing in their car and I told them that I am sorry but in MY car I would not be turning him FFing. He will be RFing in my car because this is the way I choose to do it and I choose to practice ERFing. They are fine with it
Your DCP can have a couple options. If he is in not in a booster is that not illegal? Not sure about you but up here that can be reported due to the fact that a child MUST be in a booster at least until 8 years old or 80lbs.
Also SHE can go and get a new seat. Keep the receipt then when tax time comes around she can claim it as a business expense on her taxes. I am able to do that with the BOB stroller I am getting due to the fact that I wouldn't need it if it weren't for the daycare child.
She can also REFUSE to transport the child.

I am sorry but I personally think that she would be at fault. It is her car and her rules and the parents must follow that and if they don't then they will have to pick up their own child or something. Not meaning to sound harsh but the DCP, in my opinion, is the parent for those times that the child is in their care. They must do anything they can to keep the child safe. Just my two cents........:twocents:

MissAllyLou

Yeah, what is your state law? In CA I believe it's 6 or 60 lbs to ride in no booster (still mad at Arnold for vetoing the 8 yr or 4'9" law here!!!!). I thought that was the lowest limit these days. So it's possible the parents aren't just being unsafe, but breaking the law? If so, at least the DCP would have good reason to tell the parents that she cannot drive her w/out a booster.
Our's is still the good ol 40 and 4 law!! And, according to MN state law, you can legally transport a child in your car without a seat EVEN IF THEY ARE UNDER 4 AND 40.... if their parent's don't provide you with a seat. Talk about worst law EVER.

seamonkeys

:eek::thumbsdown: That's awful!

Our's is still the good ol 40 and 4 law!! And, according to MN state law, you can legally transport a child in your car without a seat EVEN IF THEY ARE UNDER 4 AND 40.... if their parent's don't provide you with a seat. Talk about worst law EVER.

bethng

My DCP has this issue right now as well. Mom wants her 3yo to ride in a turbo booster in DCP's car. He is not legally old enough to do so. But she has been letting him. I told her to get some guts and just tell the mother that she is obligated to follow the laws when in her care and he must be in a 5pt harness seat in the daycare van. She said she would talk to her tomorrow. I had to fix the TB's headrest today. The way it was set, the seatbelt did not even go across the 3yo's shoulders. More like his mid arm area. It was all messed up. He was just too little.

I am a daycare provide and buy all seats for my daycare kids. Otherwise I know I would get LOW backs or nothing for my daycare kids. :-(

She should be supplying them. Heck, I hyperventalate having my 5 year old, 45 pounds, 43 inch daycare girl in a High back booster vs. Not being harnessed. I have her 3 days a week. When my son is in preschool she uses his radian65. ;-)

bombedier

Senior Community Member
I have reported a parent to my DCP who was dropping his son off in his Mercedes without the child even being in the seatbelt, nevermind a booster. The child is tiny - looks about 4 years old. The DCP pulled him aside and told him if she sees or hears of that again, she would have no choice but to report him to the police. I had previously spoken with this same parent (older man).

The next few times I saw him, he was driving his wife's car which has a 5 point harness seat in it - I was pleased the child was safe. Till last week.....when again I saw him drop off his son in his Mercedes without even a booster. Guess who is getting reported!!!!!

It boggles my mind, especially "Mr. Mercedes" who can clearly afford a car seat for his son, that he does not care about the safety of his son enough to actually purchase one for his vehicle - even if he only "lives down the road" - that's no excuse! It only takes a split second, and the school is off a very busy 50 mph road!

Misty-Bug

Probably doesn't want to "ruin" his mercedes seat by putting a car seat on it.

I have reported a parent to my DCP who was dropping his son off in his Mercedes without the child even being in the seatbelt, nevermind a booster. The child is tiny - looks about 4 years old. The DCP pulled him aside and told him if she sees or hears of that again, she would have no choice but to report him to the police. I had previously spoken with this same parent (older man).

The next few times I saw him, he was driving his wife's car which has a 5 point harness seat in it - I was pleased the child was safe. Till last week.....when again I saw him drop off his son in his Mercedes without even a booster. Guess who is getting reported!!!!!

It boggles my mind, especially "Mr. Mercedes" who can clearly afford a car seat for his son, that he does not care about the safety of his son enough to actually purchase one for his vehicle - even if he only "lives down the road" - that's no excuse! It only takes a split second, and the school is off a very busy 50 mph road!

dhardawa

Probably doesn't want to "ruin" his mercedes seat by putting a car seat on it.

Or as my sister used to say "geek it up". Of course, the difference was, she was "geeking up" the Corvette (she works at the Corvette plant and engineering has 3-4 cars that they rotate around and they can take them home for the weekend) by putting a rear facing Cowmooflage Roundabout in the front seat (with the airbag disabled). She would have NEVER considered not using a car seat in part because she knew I'd kill her. Also, she loves her daughter and would prefer she stayed alive. ;)

Milkie&Cookie

The flip side...is by her not restraining their child properly---she's putting YOUR child at risk. Go at it from that angle...then you are protecting your own.

As a DCP, I provide my own seats. Currently I have a Scenera and a GN on order. Actually I bought a GN and gave it up for my neice, so I'm waiting on the one my SIL ordered.

Susan

Actually, the DCP just runs out to take him to school. She's got 3 other helpers in the house, so she's never out of ratio or anything. Its really just a favor to this one family. She normally never takes the kids anywhere. I'll suggest the buying her own and writing it off tact, next time I see it happen.

I'm in MI btw, and the law is still 4 and 40 (he's 4, but I'm sure he's not 40lbs). In July it changes tho! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC