Anyone have an Audi A4?

chelle0507

My husband drives an Audi A4 and we are getting ready to switch from an infant seat (Graco Snugride) to a convertible seat (preferably a Marathon or Boulevard). For those of you who drive A-4s or know someone who does, would the BV or MA fit?

ADS

steph

The BV/MA will fit but if you want to sit 4 people you need to put it behind the passenger and push the passenger seat all the way forward otherwise no one else can sit in the back seat.

We had ours installed in the center and it fit great but it made the car a 3 person car because the base of the BV/MA went over the seat buckles for the outboard positions.

I have pics if you want to see.

*** Your most likely going to have this issue with most of the high weight convertables (i.e. going to 65 pounds), the only convertable that would possible not do this is the Radian but I'm not sure if the Radian has combatibility issues with the A4 and you would have to put the Radian in the center because it would take up way too much space because of how far it reclines.

I would make a run to Babies r us and try out the seats in the car but I do know the BV will fit it just makes it hard to transport 4-5 people at once.

HTH

solmama

You might want to try an EFTA (Evenflo Triumph ADVANCE). It takes up less space, front to back, while rear-facing than most seats (including the Radian, and Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe-Marathon clone). The Radian takes up the most space rf due to its height.

We have ours in the middle bench seat of our van (the short wheel base model) in the outboard position, and it leaves plenty of room for dh and I to drive (we're tall).

It will also fit your child at least as long as a MA, if not longer. The harness on the EFTA is 1/2" higher than the MA. My tall dd still fits the EFTA with just a bit of room left. RF to 35lbs, FF to 50lbs.

Good luck!

southpawboston

It's not the length, its the width of the base of the seat.

but are you sure it wouldn't fit outboard? you made it sound like your britax interfered with the buckles when in the center position. but did that happen outboard as well? what i'm saying is that a signo installed outboard will not force the front seat to be pushed all the way forward. whether or not it will interfere with the buckles, i don't know.

steph

Here it is in the center - the passenger seat is all the way back in this pic and reclined
IMG_0992.jpg

This is how it covers the outboard seatbelts - mine was a 2005 not sure if that matters, if the buckle stalks had been just a little bit longer it wouldn't have been an issue.
IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

As for the seat pushing the front seat forward when behind the passenger, there just isn't a lot of room in the A4, I'm not sure if another seat would be better but I had Ryan's BV pretty reclined, you could always have it more upright. The BV installed like a dream in the Audi, definately no problems there.

HTH, let me know if you have more questions!!

chelle0507

Here it is in the center - the passenger seat is all the way back in this pic and reclined
HTH, let me know if you have more questions!!

Thanks - we would probably put it in the center since for right now she is an only child. If she gets a little brother or sister, obviously that may have to change. :)

Adventuredad

I've used rear facing seats, Britax Freeway and Hi-way, in the S4 Avant and it works but it's tight. Front seats needs to go fairly far forward which is an issue with a tall driver.

Best way to use it (for us at least) is to put RF seat in front and other in the back, behind passenger seat. Disable airbag of course. This has worked the best and is safest for RF seats.

southpawboston

Disable airbag of course. This has worked the best and is safest for RF seats.

disabling the airbag in the US is not as easy as in sweden (assuming you live there and have a euro-spec audi?). we have the stupid government-mandated weight sensors and the airbag is supposedly disabled when a weight requirement isn't met. but the car manufacturers themselves even warn against using an RF seat in the front because of the airbag, despite the required weight sensors. in europe you can have a switch installed to disable the front passenger airbag. you can not do this in the US without possibly disabling the entire SRS system. also, having a carseat in the front, even without an airbag, is statistically less safe than in the rear. it's just not recommended in the US. i know it's popular to do so in europe.

M

Macho Dad

You might want to try an EFTA (Evenflo Triumph ADVANCE). It takes up less space, front to back, while rear-facing than most seats (including the Radian, and Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe-Marathon clone). The Radian takes up the most space rf due to its height.

We have ours in the middle bench seat of our van (the short wheel base model) in the outboard position, and it leaves plenty of room for dh and I to drive (we're tall).

It will also fit your child at least as long as a MA, if not longer. The harness on the EFTA is 1/2" higher than the MA. My tall dd still fits the EFTA with just a bit of room left. RF to 35lbs, FF to 50lbs.

Good luck!

I just bought the EFTA; and it's a big seat, just like the Britax MA; however in my A4 I have it in the outboard position, using the LATCH anchors. The only drawback with these seats is that the tensioning knob used to tighten/loosen the harness when buckling/unbuckling is at the front of the seat, and since you have to put the seat down in tight, the tension/loosening knobs butt up against the seat, leaving it impossible to operate while the seat is attached to the LATCH anchors tightly.

I may take this one back and try the Maxi-Corsi Priori. I've read many users that have liked this seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I may take this one back and try the Maxi-Corsi Priori. I've read many users that have liked this seat.

Just keep in mind that that's a 40 pound seat. You'll be losing top slot height and weight limits.

I can fit a RFing Radian in my husband's A4. And a Wizard RFing in either position. The Wizard in the middle definitely made it a three person car. The Wizard on the side makes it a four. It'd be a tight squeeze for it to be a five person car with or without carseats (though I've had three across, and three Radians across would fit).

The passenger seat was definitely forward for the Radian, but not as forward as I thought it would be.

2188808456_4358eee628.jpg

2188894636_eaaefceef8.jpg

Weny

M

Macho Dad

[QUOTE=The passenger seat was definitely forward for the Radian, but not as forward as I thought it would be.

From the pictures, it looks like your front passenger seat has to be farther forward than I would have liked, plus the seat back has to be in a very erect position. The Maxi-Corsi fits perfectly in RF position. I am 6ft, and can still sit in the front passenger seat comfortably, with moderate recline.

I probably will buy another carseat when our daughter hits 40lbs anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC