Ugh, Ohio hospital website recommending shield boosters!

ADS

Shaunam

Aack! And people here are actually following that advice (not necessarily from that website LOL). Very few people actually use seats past 4. And I've seen my fair share of shield boosters.

Pleeease tell me we are going to get a booster law soon!

Mommy2Five

Aack! And people here are actually following that advice (not necessarily from that website LOL). Very few people actually use seats past 4. And I've seen my fair share of shield boosters.

I really hope there is one in the works! The situation around here is truly frightening :(.

mysweetwe

Yeah, no kidding. I've had SO many conversations w/ people in our little town about keeping their kids in seats, not using expired seats, when seats are outgrown (b/c as long as you can still squish the kid enough to buckle it the seat is fine, right? :rolleyes: ), and see 3 year olds in the front seat w/ just a seatbelt. . . how sad that we need a law to get people to keep their kids safe just b/c the parents don't want to get in trouble. :mad: That website doesn't really surprise me though, it was from SE OH. I'm in southern OH and it seems like the further south you get the more old school everything gets.

At least the advice from Children's in Columbus is better- http://www.nationwidechildrens.org/gd/applications/heh/pdf/HH-IV-14.pdf

scatterbunny

I was in SE Ohio on Thanksgiving, a little town called Gallipolis. We stayed overnight there, then continued our drive back to Oregon.

Shaunam

Hehe, the little kid in the rf'ing car seat looks like she's wearing a pair of robeez.

Yeah, that's definitely better! And at least they included the bit about the AAP recommending rf'ing to the limits.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
MI has the new booster law so it is only a matter of time before they get one in OH.

I can hope, although there's the whole OH vs. MI rivalry thing that sometimes carries over from football into politics, and there might be more resistance to a booster law in OH now just because MI is doing it. DH drove to OH this morning, and I reminded him to remove the "Go Blue" license plate holder from his car to reduce the odds of it getting keyed. Oops, sorry for thread-jacking. :eek: The negative outcry among some MI folks over the newly passed booster law is pretty disheartening, too, although a big part of me is thinking suck up and deal, people. :p

Loves2sing

The thing that I don't understand is why they insist on recommending those things when they have the resources to learn what is safest? So if I am in Ohio, and my child dies in a crash because I was following their recommendations, where would it go from there? KWIM? I thought I did the research, but my information found was wrong. Just from a legality stand point you'd think they would recommend safest practices rather than their flimsy law practices.

cryswilkins

I can hope, although there's the whole OH vs. MI rivalry thing that sometimes carries over from football into politics, and there might be more resistance to a booster law in OH now just because MI is doing it. DH drove to OH this morning, and I reminded him to remove the "Go Blue" license plate holder from his car to reduce the odds of it getting keyed. Oops, sorry for thread-jacking. :eek: The negative outcry among some MI folks over the newly passed booster law is pretty disheartening, too, although a big part of me is thinking suck up and deal, people. :p

That is true.... oh how I dread football season. My work is close the the stadium and I know getting there is going to be horrible.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
But no shield boosters have been approved over 40 pounds in this country in decades... whoever made that page is a doofus, and the page is clearly so old they must be retired by now so I don't mind saying it :D (really, those seats are funky old, that page is totally ancient).

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
But no shield boosters have been approved over 40 pounds in this country in decades... whoever made that page is a doofus, and the page is clearly so old they must be retired by now so I don't mind saying it :D (really, those seats are funky old, that page is totally ancient).

That's just what I was thinking... I'm surprised they don't get a bunch of panicked parents in because they can't find a shield booster. :rolleyes:

U

Unregistered1

Ugh, I hate my stupid backwards state. I'll contact the hospital and ask if they'd like some updated information.

And yes, we have a booster law in the works. A representative named Shannon Jones is spearheading it. It would require booster use to 8, 80 lbs AND 4'9". I sent her a supporting letter the DAY I read it in the newspaper, as well as one to MY representative. The new law would also make car seat nonuse/misuse a primary offense meaning that they could pull you over just for that instead of having to get you for something else (like speeding) first.

scatterbunny

Hmm, glad Ohio is possibly going to get a booster law, but that wording might need to be rethought. 4'9 and 80 pounds is exactly average for a just-turned 11yo boy. If it gets put on the books as you worded it, that means legally kids would need to be in boosters until 11+, if they are average-sized, or below average. Not a bad thing at all, from my perspective, of course. :p

My own child will be 4'9 and 80 pounds around her 9th birthday (and that's about 97th percentile for height and 85th-90th for weight for girls).

The average 8yo girl is only about 4'2 and 57-58 pounds.

scatterbunny

LOL! No, I just think that, on carseat boards in particular, you hear a lot about bigger-than-average kids because that's what spurred many of us to get interested in CPS: our kids were huge for their age and outgrowing seats way too soon. My dd is not even 7 yet, but already 4'3 and 59 pounds.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC