Those with 4-6 year olds, do you have a spare seat?....

What is your 4-6 year old in?

• My child has a 5-point as main seat and spare seat

Votes: 36 39.1%
  • My child has a 5-point as main seat and booster as spare seat

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • My child is in a 5-point and have no spare seat

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • My child is in a booster and have a booster as a spare seat

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My child is in a booster and don't have a spare seat

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • other

Votes: 6 6.5%

• Total voters

emandbri

Now that Elizabeth is too tall for the safe seat I no longer have a spare seat for both Benjamin and Elizabeth and I'm curious what other people have.

ADS

Qarin

My 6.5yo DD uses a Nautilus as her primary seat, and has a Parkway as a spare/DH car seat (plus her grandparents have booster seats for their cars for her).

I'm not sure when my 3.5 year old will get a booster as a spare... we got the Parkway for her sister at age 4.5, and she did great with it for the short trips she'd use it, but I'm not sure younger DD will be as ready.

Stretchy Glue

Right now we have a PW in my car (soon to be replaced with a Monterey) a FPSV booster in dh's truck, and 6 backless turbos in grandparents and "others". DD is too tall for the Turbo and dumb luck has her fitting in the FPSV booster for about one more inch (that might be dh's truck seats though. They're a bit more reclined than mine).

She recently outgrew her Husky:(

NVMBR02

Dd is 4 years and 3 months. She currently has a Regent and we don't have a spare for her. My plan is to buy a Nautilus for Dh's car since he will be taking her to school 3 days a week then when the baby outgrows the infant seat (I am guessing we have 1.5 years since the baby isn't even here yet) DS will move into the GN and we will give the baby the MA. At that point she will get a booster as a spare. She is just now 30 pounds 4 oz so she isn't ready for a booster yet. I am thinking about picking one up for an extreme emergency for our emergeny school pick-up person.

Ds still fits in our older triumph but that will expire this Dec. so I will need to pick him up a spare seat and one for the babe as well.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper is in a five point for both of her daily seats as well as her travel seat, but for the quick spare for a neighbor or friend she's in a booster.

Wendy

jdubsm

My six year olds have PWs as their spare seats but my 4 yr old has a scenera for his spare. He's almost outgrowing it by height though.

remken

Remy age 5 has an wizard, marathon, and regent that he uses.

I have a recaro start waiting for him that was his sisters. But even at age five he still isn't mature enough to use it.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I have spare 5pt harnesses & boosters for both girls. I am never in shortage of seats for 2 kids. We currently have 9 seats for 2 kids (5 harnessed & 4 booster- 1 being a low back). I am also ordering a Frontier in the next few weeks too.

loufrando

Ava: 4 yrs, 7 months- Regent in main car and Husky in DH's car

Don't have a (air) travel seat right now b/c she had been using her sister's MA for travel, but she just recently outgrew it by height. We don't have any air travel planned in the forseeable future (at least the next year) so I'm not worried about it right now.

Her little sister's backup seat (RA) is going to expire this year and when it does I'm going to get her a Nautilus, so Ava could actually use that if we needed to fly.

emandbri

ha I wasn't sure how to vote in my own poll! lol I have a decathlon as my spare seat so I can use it for Benjamin or Elizabeth but if I have them both I have to move a seat from the van. I guess technically I do have a star riser as a spare seat but Benjamin has only used it once and even though he did fine I don't like the idea of him being in a booster.

I don't know what I want to do in the future which is why I haven't bought another spare seat yet.

christineka

Ds 5 is in a radian. Dh's car just has boosters and the three big kids take turns. (Only 3 back seats in the car and 5 kids means they can't all go with him at the same time.)

Christine

BabyKaykes

I could've voted twice, so I said 'other'.

My godson is 4.5yo and has been 38lb for over a year. His main seat is a Cargo, his backups are all boosters. With me he rides in the Cargo.

My goddaughter is 7yo and 80lb. Her main AND backup seats are backless Turbos. When she rides with me I make her use the back, although she's about to outgrow them.

jclaire

My 6.5 year old is in a Compass b510 and he has no spare seat. We don't have any family here and we homeschool so there is no carpooling/baby sitter situation and we only own one vehicle. So, we really don't need a spare. If, for any reason, he ever needs to be in another vehicle we just move the Compass.

USmominOz

DD is in a regent in my car and a Graco HBB in dh's car but will soon be in a HHB in my car when she turns 8 (May 3rd) and reaches 50lbs.

DS is in a Blvd (4 yrs 7mo) in my car and in a Radian in dh's car. But I hope to buy a GN when I am home for dh's car and as soon as he outgrows the blvd he will get the regent or gn in my car.

But I still have 2 extra seats in my garage.

Mommy2Five

My 7 & 8 y/os have TBs as backups.
My 4 y/o has 2 GNs.
My 2 y/o has s Chase as a backup
& my 1 y/o has an EFTA as a backup.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I have a small but proportionately long-torsoed 6-year-old. She has a Radian in my car and my husband's car, and we own a Compass booster as a spare, but we end up using it more for other kids in my car than for her in other people's cars.

BudgieStew

DS is four and has a Radian for his primary seat and two Radians for his secondary seats.
Although he is old enough according to local law for a booster he does not weigh the min. of 40 lb to use one.

Even if he was 40 plus lbs he will not be using a booster until he outgrows whatever is the HWH\top slot on the 5 point seats available at the time.
I personally do not think he will be responsible enough to use a booster for quite some time.

natysr

My son is still 3 and will be until the end of August, but I voted in your poll anyway, because my answer will be the same.

He has a 5 point as his main seat and his spare seat. He has 2 Marathons. We keep one installed in each car. Both still rearfacing. A booster is still a very long way off in this house.

keri1292

My 7½yo is in a Regent, no spare. We're shopping for a booster for friends cars now.

My 4½ is in a Marathon, no spare. It only takes 30 seconds to install in another vehicle, so I just move it the very few times it is needed. I bought a Scenera as a spare and never used it, I still moved the MA. So, I sold it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC