Question to CST's

bekah

I wrote about this before but it got moved to the Car Seat Professional's board which I do not have access to.

I am a NICU nurse, my hospital offers free training to become a CPST but if we take the training we have to go to ALL car seat inspection dates that the hospital schedules. That seems like a lot when I have a young child (it's at least one Saturday a month, often much more).

My question was...1)How often do YOU do thing relating to car seat inspections/fitting 2)Are there other benefits to taking the course 3) If you don't do inspections or work for a car seat safety company, what else do you use this knowledge for (besides your own children, which is wonderful)?

Thanks. I'm just trying to decide.

ADS

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
I bet as a nurse the hospital will pay you to go to the carseat checks. Not sure but worth looking into. I know the nurses, cops and some others get paid to come to the checks.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Honestly, it strikes me as incredibly unrealistic to expect people to volunteer their time every month, no matter what. Do they pay you for the checks? Even if they do, that still seems like a lot to expect from someone on top of their regular job.

I know some programs require you to do a certain number of events within a certain amount of time--but the one I'm familiar with is like three events over a two-year period.

If it's something you're interested in doing, maybe look to see if there's another class in your area. Sometimes the fee for the class is only $60, and then you'd have your certification so you could volunteer at your hospital when it works for you.

To answer your other questions, I do events about 1-2 times a month. (But I'm a SAHM--not with an agency or anything.) I also do private checks, which might or might not be realistic depending on your area and your availability.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC