Response from Graco regarding LATCHing GN as booster

houseofboys

I posted this as a reply to another thread, but thought it might be seen more if it had it's own thread. ;)

Okay, I emailed Graco regarding LATCHing the Nauti as a booster & this is the response I got from CS.

Robyn,
Graco allows the installation of Nautilus in high-back booster mode with
LATCH belt while the child is restrained using the vehicle Lap/Shoulder
belt. This is applicable to Nautilus child restraint seats in market
now. Our owner manuals will be updated in the future to reflect this.
Thank you,
Michelle - Consumer Services

I am pretty excited that I won't have to purchase a new booster when we outgrow the harness. I wasn't really sure how comfortable I was with using it as a booster un-LATCHed.

ADS

houseofboys

They didn't mention top tether, but I'm not as concerned about that since the lower latches will hold back most of the weight from the seat in the event of a collision - and keep it attached to the car when it's not in use.

MOM25BOYS

That is great! Now only if I had latch in my 3rd row where my 2 Nautilus are at...:whistle: I wonder if they will send out revised manuals to present owners also, granted if you registered your seat for recalls?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Maybe the writer's use of the word 'LATCH belt' implied the T part so it can be Top tethered, too?

houseofboys

I just emailed back about the tethering. It would be helpful in DH's car which has a tether anchor but no lower anchors. I'll let you know what I find out.

Qarin

Woah! This is huge. Cool!

Maybe by the time we use the Nautilus in booster mode (it will be a long time!) we'll have a car with LATCH.

Yoshi

Cooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is great news. It makes total sense. Now I don't need a Frontier, EVER!

vamom

Ok, this may help me resist the frontier, especially since the harness isn't any higher on the frontier. Too bad my mom and ds can't seem to unbuckle this one. I had to take the husky from my truck for my mom, because she had ds stuck in the nauty and was about to cut the straps to set him free! Her and my dad prefer the radian, but I just never feel in love with the darn thing, and right now ds is way over the 2nd from top slot, but like a mile from the top, so it just doesn't look like it would secure him very well. And I never bought the side impact arguement for this seat.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
This is great news! I just got DS's Nautilus today. I'm VERY happy to know that once DS outgrows it (he's on the 3rd slots), DD will be able to use the haness or BB until she's 8.5 and the LBB until she's 11.5. And I'm thrilled that it can be LATCHed as a booster - I admit that I've never been great about making DS buckle his booster when he gets out of the car, and that heavy seat would make one heck of a projectile.

Yay Graco!

For clarification, when do Graco seats expire (the 6-year seats)? Is it in December in 6 years? So my 2/08 GN would expire in Dec of 2014? The manual says there are 4 "dials" on the seat that indicate the expiration date, but I'll be darned if I can figure them out. :eek:

scatterbunny

BookMama, at Lifesavers Graco said the Nautilus is good for 6 years when used as a highback/harnessed, 9 years when used backless. :)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
BookMama, at Lifesavers Graco said the Nautilus is good for 6 years when used as a highback/harnessed, 9 years when used backless. :)

So I don't need to try to interpret the four dial thingies (which are in a square confituration - at least 4 in a row would make more sense) at all?

This is such great news. I was already feeling pretty good about the Nautilus - for an already older child, for the price, etc - but this really makes me feel GREAT about it!

Of course, the only bad thing is that now I'm really, really set on car seats. Like forever, with the possible exception of one HBB for DD, because the ones we have will expire when she's 6.5. (But ... she can be harnessed in our Regent and Nautilus until she's 7 and 8.5, if she's short enough.) Boo hoo! :p

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not going to get too excited about this until it's official (and retroactive)...but... WHOO HOO!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC