Here's a new one....

tl01

Here's a new reason to not ERF your child.

My friend said her ped told her to turn her toddler around for a 2 hour drive b/c ERFing would be dangerous for the child b/c when a child is rear facing, the child's heart is lower than her legs and that is dangerous. Mind you, this child has no heart issues. I think a seat would have to be pretty reclined for legs to be above the heart.

Thoughts?

ADS

jclaire

Uh...yeah I can't recall Presley's legs ever being higher than her heart and she's been rear facing for 2+ years now.

I mean...I guess they might be that reclined in a bucket, but I don't think so. And they defintely wouldn't be that far reclinced as a toddler.

Misty-Bug

peds do not know as much about carseats as some people think they do! I won't even talk to my doc about carseats! LOL!! that is the funniest thing I have ever heard though. The baby would have to be laying down so far and then the seat would be over reclined.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That's....um... crazy? Maybe the ped thought the normal angle for an RF seat was the cushy laid back way kids look in snap n go's?.... still, no... that's just crazy, lol.

natysr

That is rediculous.

Most kids fold their legs. Either squat style or frog style. Few kids put their feet up (like that picture we've all seen of Piper). But, I'm sure that kids that do sit that way, if at any time they are not getting full circulation, their legs would get tingly and they would readjust their position.

(Not to mention that their bodis are so small, and the heart is very strong so it doesn't take too much to pump blood through the whole body. This changes as we become adults. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I was a kid, I could sit on my knees for hours. Now if I do it, after 5 minutes, my feet fall asleep.)

I think there are some medical professionals that just cannot stand to admit that past advice is now outdated, and that same advice could be simply wrong, so they will come up with all sorts of reasons to keep from changing their recommendations.

Loves2sing

That is probably the dumbest argument I have heard ever. I have never seen anyone, although I wouldn't be surprised if some had tried to, install a seat upside down. Even when dd was in her bucket seat, her heart was above her head. If this is the case, do I need to teach my toddler to sleep standing up just to be sure that her feet don't go over her head?:p

BabyKaykes

LOL, ok seriously...I would have outright laughed in his face and then asked him if he could give me a referral to a pedi who stayed up to date on AAP recs or at least didn't make up information....

Mommy2Marcus

LMBO! Sorry, but that is simply crazy! I have made countless 2-4 hour drives with my DS RF & it has NEVER caused a problem. I actually just got back about 1 week ago from making the 2-3 hour drive it takes to come home from visiting my family, which we do once a month mind you, & he has never had a problem. I will also add that my DS has a slight heart murmur. I am unsure of what this ped was thinking. That seat would have to be WAY over reclined for it to be of an issue. Man...I would have also laughed in his face. I hope she does not turn her DC around b/c of this peds crazy rec!

jewlsvern

In 10 days I am driving from CA to VA and we will be in the car for 8-10 hrs a day for 5 days. So according to their ped I should front face my 13 mo 17 lb DD because of the long drive. That is ridiculous. She will be RF the entire time and so will her 13 mo old cousin. No way will i drive a longer time in a less safe position.

tl01

She did turn the seat around. I try to offer my car seat knowledge to her but she just doesn't listen. I've told her not to listen to her ped b/c clearly her ped doesn't know what she's talking about. Instead she acts as though I'm confused. There's only so much I can do!

LCMOM

Senior Community Member
Well, that's proof that you can be well educated and still be ignorant as anything!!!! Has he ever SEEN a kid rear facing????? Sadly, peds are often VERY ill informed, despite the AAP statements on car seat safety... Two areas I almost NEVER listen to docs about are breastfeeding and car seats!!

BabyKaykes

Isaiah's ped has never ONCE asked me about car seats. NOT ONCE.

But she does make a it a point to tell me whenever she can that I can stop breastfeeding any time! Where's that eyeroll smiley?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
:doh:
Please tell me she and/or the Ped. has been or is being given a copy of the AAP policy statement?

The Bjorns

I'll assume this ped would also say that once teeth come in you better stop nursing. Goofiest thing I've heard all day. Wait! The day is still young...

tl01

:doh:
Please tell me she and/or the Ped. has been or is being given a copy of the AAP policy statement?

I have explained it all to my friend a bunch of times but she just doesn't listen. I think she thinks I'm just giving her the info to be mean or criticize her parenting choices... but obviously I do it to protect her kids. I used to see her ped but DS but don't anymore b/c of other issues I had with the ped so I haven't had a chance to give her a copy of the info. I may have to return to that ped for a visit soon (long story) so maybe I'll try to work car seats into the conversation to see what I can do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC