help me choose a "cheap" seat for grandma's car

petruzzo

Grandma needs a seat for my almost 5 year old dd who weighs 40lbs and is 43 inches. Grandma will only use the seat one day a week to pick up my dd and drive only 2 km (no highway driving). All that to say that dd will never be in it for long enough of a drive to sleep, etc. So comfort is not a variable in my choice so don't suggest a marathon or radian :) since I already have them in my vehicles. I'm also not interested in the apex either.

ok, I am considering the following: traditions plus, treasured cargo, platinum cargo, chase or generations. I would love to keep her in the 5point harness for another year-ish. I'm asking you all for your opinion. Also, pardon my ignorance but do all the cargos (treasured and platinum) have the same THS. I believe that the cargos have a 17" THS meanwhile the chase's is 16.8" and the generations is 16.5.

Because of this I'm leaning more towards the treasured cargo for those measely millimetres. Did someone mention the treasured cargo as not a good booster?? HELP I need to buy it within the next 10 days from either from TRU, Safety Superstore or Sears.

ADS

Dillipop

Looking at the graco website, it looks like the treasured cargo has a rear adjust....stay far away from it! You will have to uninstall the seat every time you need to adjust the straps. The platinum cargo is a good harnessed seat, but not as great as a booster. I've heard the generation is a good harnessed seat and a decent booster later, so I would recommend that one.

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
ohh sorry. I like the graco that adjusts in the front. I had 4 of those back in the day for daycare. It was treasured cargo i think, some adjusted on the straps and some on the bottom of the front.

smurf

I've owned several seats over the years and I particularly like the harness on the Graco. It's by far the easiest tightening mechanism I've used (compared to Cosco, Evenflo and Radian, to name a few). Might be something worth considering with g'parents. It makes a pretty lousy booster, but when your DC gets to that stage you could get a dedicated booster. Just my :twocents:

petruzzo

Thanks to all who have responded.

I still have about a weekish to decide but I've kinda reduced the # of choices down to 2. I'm leaning more toward the evenflo GENERATIONS which so happens to be on sale at TRU.

My other consideration is the CHASE. The reason being that they convert to decent boosters as some of you have mentioned. Buying a dedicated booster within a year is not in the budget for grandma's car. I want something decent to last a good part of the life of the seat. Remember dd is only in that seat once a week for a 2km trip on residential streets.

Please feel free to comment as I have not made my mind.

Loves2sing

I think I would personally go for a generations over a Chase, only because the Chase that I had bought before wasn't very comfortable. It had quite minimal padding. I would rather something a little cushier for dd. Although because it is only 2kms, that wouldn't be a huge issue. Keep in mind though, that the gen is on sale for the same price as the Chase's regular price. (Or at least what I paid for it last year, which was $129 + tax)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC