Please help me pick a seat!!!!

I have a soon to be 4.5 year old daughter whom I just bought a booster for w/ a 5 pt harness that was around $80. Well it the top slot for the straps is at her sholuder level without a coat on and with her winter coat it is already below her shoulder level. I am hoping TRU lets me take it back so I can put the money towards something else.

I am looking into the Britax Regent or a Radian 80. What is the better seat as far as safety? Which one is for the taller kid?

I need something that installs in a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with bucket seats in the center.

Thank You so much!
-Shalyn:thumbsup:

ADS

firemomof3

The Regent will allow you to keep your daughter harnesses as long as possible. But it is a heavy seat so once its installed your not going to want to move it!

Mommy2Marcus

She should NOT be wearing a winter coat in the car seat. She can wear a thin jacket or fleece, but nothing that is big or puffy. I urge you to put her in the seat with the coat on & get the harness tight like you normally would, then take her out of the seat, take her coat off, then put her back in the seat without tightening it and look at how much room she has between her & the harness. It will be WAY to loose. The reason that they can not wear a heavy winter coat in the car is b/c the coat will compress when you wreck & the car seat harness does it's job, leaving your child vertually that LOOSE in the harness. So winter coats are a NO NO in the car! However I do agree that you should take the seat back. If you have not had it that long, only used it a few times & have got nothing on it then I would return it in the box & buy a Regent. It will keep her harnessed the longest out of the two you mentioned! Good Luck!

cpsaddict

She should NOT be wearing a winter coat in the car seat. She can wear a thin jacket or fleece, but nothing that is big or puffy. I urge you to put her in the seat with the coat on & get the harness tight like you normally would, then take her out of the seat, take her coat off, then put her back in the seat without tightening it and look at how much room she has between her & the harness. It will be WAY to loose. The reason that they can not wear a heavy winter coat in the car is b/c the coat will compress when you wreck & the car seat harness does it's job, leaving your child vertually that LOOSE in the harness. So winter coats are a NO NO in the car! However I do agree that you should take the seat back. If you have not had it that long, only used it a few times & have got nothing on it then I would return it in the box & buy a Regent. It will keep her harnessed the longest out of the two you mentioned! Good Luck!

What she said! Also, if the seat is a Safety 1st/Cosco seat then it really doesn't surprise me that she is too tall. How much does she weigh? Honestly, I would recommend taking it back and getting the Graco Nautilus. It has much higher top harness slots and a higher weight limit. An $80 combo harness/booster will probably only harness to 40lbs. The Nautilus goes to 65lbs. The Nautilius runs about $150 and it does turn into a nice booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC