infant carrier to RF convertible seat?

chelle0507

I am glad to have found this forum. I was hoping I could get you all to weigh in on something for me.

I have a 4 1/2 month old daughter who a few weeks ago weighed 15 lb 1 oz and was 24.5 inches long. She is in an infant carrier but I am contemplating moving her into a rear facing convertible seat (probably a Britax Marathon or Boulevard) soon even though the carrier goes up to 22 lbs and 29 inches.

My question is this: what are the advantages and disadvantages to moving her from an infant carrier to the rear facing convertible seat? Also, when did you move your children from a carrier into convertible seat?

Thanks for your responses.

ADS

tweetykl

Advantages: More room and not so squished. My son prefered the convertible but he was a very large baby.

Disadvantage: You can't plop them on a shopping cart or carry them in the house with a convertible carseat.

My son had to move at 3 months because he had outgrew the Snug Ride length (at the time 26"). We have a SafeSeat 1 to try to prevent this with our daughter.

It really is personal preference.

chelle0507

It seems to me that my daughter is uncomfortable in the Snugride already which is why I am leaning toward making the move in the next month or so. It just seemed like a lot of the women I talked to didn't move their kids until closer to 1 year. The carrier is convenient in a way, but it's SO heavy!

Tammyfh

I'm keeping my son in his infant carrier to the last possible second. I did finally buy the convertibles so they're ready, because he's getting very close to outgrowing the seat. My biggest reason is that he will not transfer when sleeping. It's so easy for me to move the whole seat to the stroller and back to the car and into the house. I'm having a hard time giving up that flexibility.

Tammyfh

It seems to me that my daughter is uncomfortable in the Snugride already which is why I am leaning toward making the move in the next month or so. It just seemed like a lot of the women I talked to didn't move their kids until closer to 1 year. The carrier is convenient in a way, but it's SO heavy!

Sounds like you've thought about it and you're ready! I know many people that NEVER used the infant seat and did just fine. If she's uncomfortable and you don't like pulling it out of the car anyways, you're probably ready for the move.

jka1217

We moved DD from the infant seat to a convertible seat at about 3.5 months. She was big and it was hard to get her buckled in the infant seat and she looked really squished. She had much more room in the convertible seat. However, she couldn't sit up on her own yet, so she couldn't sit in a grocery cart when we went shopping or high chair when we went out to eat. I would just wear her in a sling or mei tai. When she fell asleep in the convertible car seat, I could usually get her out of the seat and she would continue sleeping. It was a little more work, but it passed quickly.

chelle0507

Thanks so much for your input. :)

I really love the look of the Meghan cover for the Britax but our local BRU doesn't carry it. I wish they weren't the only one who carried it, because a lot of the other websites offer free shipping. We have to buy two anyway - one for my vehicle, and one for my husband's vehicle.

leighi123

I was at the store once when a cart with a carseat on top tipped over (it stayed attached to the cart, but it made the whole thing top-heavy)...
Baby was strapped into the seat and seemed to be ok tho. It was scary!

I see people do it all the time though.

Levi is 9 months (yesterday) and we havent moved him into a convertable - but its just a $$ thing for us, he still fits fine in the snugride and is happy in it. Next baby I wont even bother with a infant seat, if baby will fit in a convertable. We never used it as a carrier so it was pointless.

tweetykl

Our big reason for getting a SS1 for our daughter is to hopefully keep her in the infant carrier as long as possible. We don't want to buy more convertibles but instead purchase a GN or Frontier for our son when she outgrows the SS1. I just want time for reviews to come out.

miraclebabies

I moved my DD from her SS1 about the sametime, she was about 5 months old. She hated her infant carseat and after I bought the Decathlon she was alot happier in the car. It was hard when she couldn't sit up on her own in a shopping cart so I would take her infant seat in with me. She would ride in the infant seat around the store and then back into her DC or MA in the car. Once she started sitting up it was alot easier, I bought a shopping cart buddy and that kept her entertained. She fit really well and is still on the first slots rear facing. She is 14 months old and loves her carseats. She is only 20#and 32 in long and would still fit in her SS1. Maybe with the next baby I might use the SS1 longer, if not I would buy another MA. The DC is nice when they are younger but as she got older we took the infant padding out.

aisraeltax

the biggest convenience, to me, is comfort. i have big babies and they just seem more comfy in the convertibles.

btw, infant car seats really shouldnt be used for anything other than transporting in a vehicle. There are several problems with that practice.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I have never used an infant bucket, my first used a RF convertible frm birth on and so has my current babe, he is now 3 months and 13 pounds. The only con i can think of is not being able to have them stay sleeping while you transfer them, but depending on your baby, even this might not be a con. (dd would wake up, ds, a nice laid-back lil fellow, will just keep sleeping, LOL!) Or, if you are in a place where the weather is SERIOUSLY cold, having the bucket for winter use is a plus, but right now, in mid-April, that isn't going t be an issue in most of the US.
I see huge cons to the bucket seat, namely that babies who use them get held far less than babies whose seats stay in the car. Now, I'm not saying every parent who uses buckets is a horrible mother and child neglecter....but in general, babies who are carried about in these seats get far less contact and interaction than babies who do not have such a convenient place to be "plopped" into so they don't have to be dealt with. Obviously, this is going to be a very personal issue, and it is certainly possible to use a bucket and still hold your kids all the time, and to use a convertible and still ignore your kids..I'm just saying this is a general trend I observe frequently.....
Also..who the heck has the sterngth to carry those things? Certianly not I!

jewlsvern

My 13 mo old DD is still in her SR. We are still weighing options on a convertible but since she hasn't outgrown it yet we aren't in a hurry.
I see your point about not being held as much and I think it is a case by case basis. My DD will only stay in her seat for the car and if she falls asleep (usually only stays asleep 10+ min or so once removed from the car). I enjoy the convenience on not having to remove her from the car for a very quick trip (5-10 min) and it is easier to strap her in in the house where I have room to battle her to get her in, but my DD is not held any less, in fact ped told me I held her too much (spoiled her). Now the oppostie is true for my 13 mo old niece. SIL put her in the car seat every time she cried and propped up a bottle and when she is upset she justs want to sit in her seat with her bottle. So it can go both ways, but to me the pros of the infant seat outweigh this issue.
PS from the house to the car its not that heavy.

dhardawa

I moved Max at about three months. I tried earlier, but he didn't fit well in the seat yet. He hated the infant seat and would scream the entire trip. The convertible was better. Also, it about ripped my arm off to carry him in it. He would always wake up when I moved him in the infant seat so there was no sleep benefit at all for me.

chelle0507

Thanks ladies!

I think I am going to go ahead and buy the convertible for my vehicle since that's what we use as the family vehicle. The one I want is only at Babies R Us and my coupon is only good for in store purchases. Do you guys know if BRU occasionally have coupons/specials for online purchases? Since I'm not in a huge rush to buy the seat 10% or 15% off of $299 is well worth waiting for! :)

existential27

It seems like last year BRU did put out a coupon for 15% off any one item, but only in store, and I don't remember when it came out.

My DD is in a BV and I love it. Just bought another one for DS who is still in a SR at 13 months, and would probably fit in it several months more. I did like being able to strap DS in his carseat while in the house during the winter, but he's definitely getting too heavy to lift while in the seat anymore-- even though he only weighs 21 lbs.

I ordered my BVs from Target.com. I got 10% off through the Borders Rewards Perks program, plus an additional 5% cashback bonus by using my Discover Card thru ShopDiscover. I also waited until they had a free shipping deal going on, which is actually quite often. Of course, if they don't have the pattern you want, that doesn't help you. Just FYI-- the BVs I have ordered from Target.com have always had date of manufactures within 3 weeks of my purchase. While I had to pay sales tax, I like having the option of returning the seat to the store if needed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC