Keyfit 30 Installation Questions

momof2peanuts

My DH just installed our new Keyfit 30 in the car and came in questioning if it really could be that easy to install?? We had a 2005 Peg Perego previously and DH remembers that installation of the base was a nightmare. He said the base (with latch installation) was so easy that he is questioning whether he did it correct - he just attached the latches, made sure it was level and pulled the tightening lever... is this really all there is to it?

Also, the manual says that the handle has to be in one of the three "locked" positions when the car seat is in the base, but doesn't specify which position, if any, is preferable. We have a 2005 Honda CRV so we don't have all the space in the world - it would be easier (in terms of accommodating a front seat passenger) to keep the handle up, but if it is safer to keep down, I will, of course, do that. Any suggestions with regard to the handle?

Thanks!!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah, the Keyfit really is that easy most of the time! :) But I'm curious: what's the vehicle year, make, model?

I don't remember off the top of my head, although I'm pretty sure any locking position is fine -- someone else who had/has a Keyfit would know better than I (since I've only had the pleasure of playing with them at the national & regional conferences) :eek:

VLsMom

Yeah! It really is that easy! We have the KeyFit 22 - same installation.

The handle can be in any 3 of the locked positions while driving. All the way up, back by the shell, or further back behind the seat.

ETA: I just re-read your post and realized you asked which position the handle should be in to be the safest. I don't know which is the safest...but I am going to trust any of the 3 positions it is allowed to be in while driving are all equally safe since they've all been tested that way and are all allowed.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered1

Just take one hand (usually your non-dominant hand) and try to wiggle the seat base side to side and front to back at the belt path (where the LATCH strap is going through the base. If it moves more than an inch, you'll want to try to get the base in there tighter. This can be accomplished by putting your hand on the base and applying weight to it while pulling on the LATCH strap to get it tightened.

If it doesn't move more than an inch side to side or front to back at the belt path and the LATCH hooks are attached securely, your install should be just fine. Keep in mind that the part of the seat that is towards the FRONT of the vehicle will probably move a bit side to side (more than an inch) but that is okay, infant seats are supposed to do that.
Hope this helps! :)

cpsaddict

It really is that easy. The KF is probably the easiest seat I have ever installed. It takes me literally less then two minutes to get it in perfectly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC