Century EZ-LATCH Retrofit Kit

C

Caviller

Century EZ-LATCH Retrofit Kit

I purchased a Century EZ LATCH retrofit kit at Babies R Us for $24.99. This kit claims to retrofit any Century carseat made after 9/1/97. This includes infant seats, convertibles and booster seats (even while belt-positioning). This kit should be available online and at Century's website, soon. See:

EZ-LATCH Kit

I also purchased a new Century NextStep DX, which I like quite a bit so far. My review is here, though you might have to be a registered Epinions user to see it:

Review of NextStep DX

The EZ-LATCH kit is as expected. A single strap with sturdy LATCH clamps with push-button release on each end. The strap simply feeds through the regular seatbelt routing path on the car seat. With the NextStep at least, this was a breeze. You then clamp each end to the LATCH anchors and pull the loop on the slack end to tighten the belt. While kneeling on the seat, it is fairly easy to tighten the straps.

To release, you need to pivot the tensioning buckle to almost 90 degrees. This can take a little force if you have it very tight. With the nice clamps Century uses, I would have liked a push-button release buckle, as found on the LATCH belt for the Cosco Triad.

Overall, it's a nice retrofit. Still, the installation will depend a lot on the beltpath of the carseat. I was able to get the NextStep DX in fairly tight in our 2001 Honda Odyssey, but not quite as solid as our Triad (also using LATCH).

Much like the Triad, we can still move or remove the captains chair with the carseat still attached, and don't have to fiddle with the seatbelts. The belts also don't obstruct access to the 3rd row seats. Overall, it's a great (but pricey) upgrade to newer Century seats if your vehicle has LATCH/ISOFIX.

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC