Need Some HWH Article PLEASE!!

Mommy2Marcus

Hiya Ladies! So I am on a mission to get my 4 year old nephew, who is probably around 35-40lbs, maybe a little more or less, but most likely around that mark, into a 5 point Harness again or at least a HBB. I need some REALLY GOOD convincing articles about WHY 5 point harnesses are SO much safer than a BBP. He is currently in a LBB & has been since around 2...I know EKKK, I have never thought it was a good idea, but never knew enough to say anything & now I just know TO much to NOT say something...& I at least want to get him into a HBB, but an going to try everything in my power to convince her to let me buy him a Nautilus & install it for him. If not then I will be buying him a HBB at least. So I need some Extremely GREAT Convincing printable articles on 5 point harnessing versus a BBP to show my MIL. I would just take her to the sites, but she has no computer or email so I need something in writing to be able to print. Anyone have something like this or want to help me dig it up?? Thanks SO much!

ADS

PixieEMT

There is a thread on here with a cool HWH brochure. Also KDMF has a brochure you can print out.

HTH! Sara

twokidstwodogs

There's not much data out there on HWH (over 40 lbs), but the fact that he's under 40 lbs should give you some leverage. I assume that the 4 years/40 lbs recommendation is based on research of some kind, and it's just a matter of finding it. But I don't know where to look! No doubt someone here will know.

As for the HBB vs. the LBB, that one is easier. The Partners for Child Passenger Safety group out of Children's Hospital of Philadelphia did a study recently that showed HBBs providing a considerable safety advantage over LBBs in side impact crashes. I think Joolsplus may have posted a link to the actual study recently, but here's a press release:
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/m...tory/09-13-2005/0004106173&EDATE=Sep+13,+2005
Scroll down to the second bullet point under the first set of "key findings" in order to find the info.

If it were me, I'd probably focus on getting him into a highback booster seat first, assuming he's over 40 lbs and at least reasonably mature. Someone who puts a 2 year-old in a LBB is pretty unlikely to revert to a harness at age 4. You might tell them about locking the seatbelt to keep him in place. If you buy the booster, make sure it's one that's easy to use and does a good job of keeping the shoulder belt in place when getting in and out of the car. (The Compass is quite good on this; not sure about others.) A good HBB might actually prove *easier* for them to use than a LBB.

Mommy2Marcus

While I totally agree that it is WAY more likely to get her to put him into a HBB versus a 5 point harness I at least have to try that route & if it does not work then I will go the HBB route. I may have a little more leeway as whatever I get him into I will be buying it. I talked to my DH about if I could convince his mother to put him back into a 5 point harness or into a HBB could we buy it as they can not afford, well we can not really either, but I will MAKE us afford it for his safety. I really really really WANT him in a 5 point as he does not even come close to sitting right in the LBB, so I do not feel he will sit right in the HBB either. He is the one that moves around, turns around puts the shoulder belt behind him & falls asleep in the LBB all the time, so he needs at least a HBB! I am either going to be buying a HBB or a Nautilus....YAY I maybe getting to play with a Nautilus & I will take pictures of my 18 month old in it as well....I am hoping to be purchasing a Nautilus, but would be happy if I can get him into a HBB from the LBB at least. I am also going to be stressing that he HAS to sit properly at all times & can not be in the center postion of her car as it has NO shoulder belt, lap belt only. So Please cross your fingers & pray that I can get her to go the Nautilus route...I am going to tell him it is a race car seat & explain that even race car drivers wear a 5 point restraint in the car...I am sure this will work as he is a race car FAN! I am just hoping I can convince my MIL. I may be driving her to the library to show her the crash tests about it as I think if she could SEE them she would be more up for it. So wish me luck....It may be a few weeks, but I am working on WHAT to say to her & what articles to print out. Thanks for the suggestions & help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC