So Angry!!

Shanora

Ok, so I was at the Baby/Toddler Show in Toronto this afternoon, and I happened to walk past the Eddie Bower set up, and there was some guy and he was telling these new parents (they all had little babies or were pregnant) about the 3-in-1 seat, and was telling them that this seat was rated for 22 pounds rear facing, and then they HAD to turn the child FF, until they were 40 pounds, and then they had to removed the straps and use it to 80 for a booster......

I thought that it was rather odd he only said that this seat was rated only to 22 # rf.....so I asked him "Don't the seats go to 30 pounds rf so you can do the extended rf?" He said, no this seat ONLY goes to 22 pounds RF.....He than pointed out to me that my child was too big to be rear facing so not to worry about it.....Well DUH my child it to big, I told him, that i knew that, and I wasn't asking about him, I was asking about that seat. He said that at 22 pounds you HAD to turn them FF.....as they would be strong enough.....

I than said, "So your telling me that a child who is only 7 months old and 22 pounds is supposed to go FF??" He than looked at the parents and said "Yes, they go FF, as they are JUST as safe, because of all the safety features...." I tried AGAIN to object, and he looked at me, and said "i'm going to finish with these guys and I'll talk with you...." I told him to forget it....BUt I MADE sure he noted me, taking note of his name, and the company he was representing.....

Is there anything I can do about this??? Can I call the company and complain about him......?? I was so angry and upset I was shaking...thinking about these poor children that would end up being turned FF when they hit the 22 pounds.....wither they are 1 year or not.......

I was half tempted once I calmed down, to go and ask him for his Tech #, and report him for giving false information,.....but I really didn't want to actually be near this guy again....for fear of making a horrible scene. I'm also guessing that he probably wasn't a Certified Tech.....

ADS

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Was he a sale rep for EB thoughÉ I honestly doubt if he was a tech though. Should tell those moms to stop by the SJA booth at the end of the middle aisle for good info ;)

Btw, I was there from 11-2. Did you pop by CPO to see CaraÉ

scatterbunny

Was he a rep for Dorel themselves, or a rep for a store? Either way, HOW AWFUL! :thumbsdown: I don't know who to report this to, without knowing if he is a tech, or a Dorel employee, or a store employee.

firemomof3

Oh my gosh!! :eek: That is so horrible. Good for you for keeping your cool, I think I would have lost it.....wait, I know I would have lost it!! I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut, that would have just infuriated me! Extended rear facing is a new concept for many, we all really have our work cut out. Most parents I talk to just look at me like I'm crazy and don't want to hear about it. We are definatly fighting an uphill battle!

Shanora

Tam, Yes I did pop by and see Cara, I guess we had just missed you....So I kept an eye out for your Sling....LOL....I didn't see you.

Firemomof3 ~ I JUST kept my cool.....I was so upset...but since I didn't have the credentials(sp?) to back me up I had to walk away.....I can only hope that those parents read the manual....

I wonder how many sales they will lose on those seat if any of those parents decied to keep their little ones rear facing past 22 pounds....and think that those seats only go to 22 pounds....lol....

I have no idea if he was a rep for the store or from Dorel himself...their name tags don't say....just their name and that they are a vendor.....

PixieEMT

To OP Shanora: You need to print a brochure from Cpsafety.com "RF unmatched safety" to keep in your purse or diaper bag. IT comes in handy. I keep a copy in both my gloveboxes after a lady came up behind me "Excuse me mama, your baby is too big to do that!" ----Oh, really??!! Why don't you read this!

Shanora

If he had the seat there, I would've just pointed to the sticker on the side. :rolleyes: What a moron.

The funny thing is.....he was already pointing out the stickers on the side of the seat.....I wonder if he read the 22-40 pounds FF thing and just assumed that the max for rf is 22 pounds....*sigh*

Thanks for the tip on the brochure...I'm going to print that off right now....

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks for the tip on the brochure...I'm going to print that off right now....

Or print out the Transport Canada brochure which would probably get you more mileage because it's Canada. Not knocking other brochures, but sometimes you just have to know your audience and its receptivity of certain type of info. It's hard enough to convince some people of restraint safety, if we can leverage Canadian info, that would get further, imo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC