Opinions...?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
:confused:

http://www.atla.org/pressroom/facts/autosafety/garyskinner.aspx

Lack of $43.13 Car Improvement Cost Young Husband of Graysville, Alabama His Life

Background: NHTSA Compromises Public Safety with Weak Standards (12/5)

Strong Roof Crush Standards Matter

Gary Skinner of Alabama died in this vehicle. It met NHTSA's proposed standard for roof design.

Reverend Lawrence Harris of Pittsgrove, NJ was left quadriplegic by a rollover crash in an Econoline van that met NHTSA's proposed standard.

Bing Lin Duan died in a rollover accident. This pictured interior of a similar van shows the frontseat headrests crushed from the roof.

Gary Skinner of Graysville, Alabama was an avid fisherman - he was a member of the Bass Fisherman's club - and had a love for music, says his wife Angela. But on July 28, 2005, Angela Skinner lost her husband when he died in a rollover accident at the young age of 48. As he drove his 1999 Ford Ranger around a downhill curve, his right rear tire blew out. He lost control of the vehicle, which left the road and began to roll. As his car rolled over, the roof crushed in on Gary causing a fatal head injury.

Now public General Motors internal documents show that the auto industry knew as early as 1966 that their roof design was so weak that in rollover accidents it crushed occupants to death. They could have fixed this defect for as little as $43.13. Instead, they chose to hide this information rather than spend a small amount of money to strengthen the roofs on their vehicles. In fact, the strength-to-weight ratios for another of Ford's vehicles, the Explorer, went down in the 1990s.

Unfortunately, the National Highway Transportation Safety Agency (NHTSA) has also chosen to do as little as possible to protect the lives of individuals like Gary. Under the Transportation Equity Act of 2005, Congress directed NHTSA to establish rules to reduce deaths and injuries caused by vehicle rollover accidents and to specifically propose a new standard for how strong a vehicle’s roof must be.

Currently, 10,000 people die and 24,000 people are injured every year in rollover accidents. Instead of acting to significantly reduce injuries as Congress directed, NHTSA proposed a weak “roof crush standard” that leaves safety at the status quo—70% of vehicles on the road currently meet the new proposed standard.

Still worse, the proposed rule marks an unprecedented power grab by a federal agency, preempting all state requirements and state tort law. The result: as long as a car manufacturer meets the proposed standard, no individual may bring a claim in any court if they are injured or killed because of a badly made roof.

In fact, the 1999 Ford Ranger that crushed Gary to death has a strength-to-weight ratio higher than the new rule proposed by NHTSA. Since his vehicle met (and exceeded) the new standard, Gary's family would not be able to hold Ford accountable in court for the design of their vehicle if the proposed rule had been in place.

This is a fundamental change in auto safety that all Americans should be concerned about. The automakers know they can make safer vehicles, they know how to make safer vehicles, but they don’t want to spend the money. NHTSA's rule says to the industry, if you knowingly put a roof design on the market that happens to meet a bare minimum standard but is defective and a husband or dad is lost in a rollover accident, the family can never hold the manufacturer accountable in court. Is this really what we want?

Updated December 6, 2005

ADS
U

Unregistered

Whoa ! I remember reading somthing about Volvo being pressured to stop advertising their 'better' roof standards 'cause it made the rest of the vehicles seem 'less safe' in comparison. Fact is, they are!
The whole thing stinks if you ask me.
C.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Not to excuse the NHTSA or auto manufacturers, but keep in mind that article is written by a web page as an advertisement to people considering lawsuits for injury claims.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Unregistered said:
Whoa ! I remember reading somthing about Volvo being pressured to stop advertising their 'better' roof standards 'cause it made the rest of the vehicles seem 'less safe' in comparison. Fact is, they are!
The whole thing stinks if you ask me.
C.

That's because Ford OWNS Volvo! I saw some news special about it once, and the exectutive being interviewed said he'd never buy a ford, he'd only buy a volvo (or something like that, my memory is fuzzy now, but I definitely remember that part, lol).

I bet we'll see a lot more action on this front when IIHS finally gets around to testing this stuff (they've done frontal, they're doing side and rear, I wonder what kind of test they'll devise for roof crush strength?....)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
CPSDarren said:
Not to excuse the NHTSA or auto manufacturers, but keep in mind that article is written by a web page as an advertisement to people considering lawsuits for injury claims.
Yep & 1 reason I'm a bit skeptical about their facts, but certainly curious nontheless :) Thanks for the feedback - I think it's an interesting conversation so far....

bazanna

Senior Community Member
Typos always discredit the source for me:
Now public General Motors internal documents show that the auto industry knew as early as 1966 that their roof design was so weak that in rollover accidents it crushed occupants to death. They could have fixed this defect for as little as $43.13. Instead, they chose to hide this information rather than spend a small amount of money to strengthen the roofs on their vehicles. In fact, the strength-to-weight ratios for another of Ford's vehicles, the Explorer, went down in the 1990s.

So....are we talking about Ford or GM, there? And has GM known since 1966? Have cars not changed since then? Or did they mean 1996...?

I'm inclined to agree with Darren. Doesn't mean the basic gist isn't true...but it might not be the *whole* truth........

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC