Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: next step...

Sean Ozz

next step...

can anyone inform me of a place where i can find the age wight combo that my son will no longer be required by law to use a car seat?
    thank you

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

cps tech

Which law would you be referring to?

To see a list of the state laws you can go to www.highwaysafety.org/saf...train2.htm

However, these laws don't account for the law of physics which requires a child to be in a harnessed seat until they reach the upper weight/height limit of the seat (40 lbs for all but the Fisher Price Futura which is 60 lbs and the Britax Super Elite which is 80 lbs). At that point, they NEED to be in a booster seat until they are about 4'9". There is some great information about booster seat usage and how to tell if your child is big enough to use the adult seat belts in a car at SafetyBeltSafe USA at www.carseat.org - there is a tab at the top of their homepage for booster seat information.

Several states, including Washington, California, and Arkansas have passed or are trying to pass better laws that would require booster seat usage up to higher ages and weights. If you are considering going merely by what your state law says, make sure you check often to see if they have changed it to better protect the children.

Krista

carsafety

Try this link:

State Laws on Carseats

This site also has a utility to check your state's laws:
    SafeKids

The rules vary widely state to state.

For safety, the recommendations do not change. A child should be in some type of carseat or booster until 8-10 years old, or about 80-100 pounds.

If you don't mind, I'd like to move your question and this thread to the Carseat forum. Thanks.

Sean Ozz

Re: Try this link:

thank you very much you have ben very helpfull, i will check all those links and learn as much as i can...