Most legroom?

daycaremom2002

Which RF seat has more legroom? My friends youngest foster baby has mild CP and holds his legs rigid. He has some trunk weakness also. He just turned 1 last month and is over 20 pounds. We are trying to keep him RF, but he is having major issues with his legs. He pushes so hard on the seatback, that he is crying and very uncomfortable. She has tried to teach him to bend his legs, but he just won't. He even walks stiff legged on his tippy toes.

Right now he is in a RF FPSE and she has a Scenera and a CS available. I have a MA that I currently use for my little guy, but I might be able to switch seats as a last resort. She does not have funds right now to go out and buy a new seat, but I might be able to help her a little if there is anything with a lot more leg room.

So, between the FPSE, the Scenera, CS, and the MA, which has more legroom? We are going to try this weekend and see which he fits in, but insight from those with experience might save us time. Any tips besides more recline to get a little more room?

ADS

PixieEMT

Personally, I think my MA gives my little man less leg room. It almost appears to have a shallow seat depth. My opinion.
What about the EFTA? The Radian has low sides, so would he be able to put them off to the side? :shrug-shoulders:

Here's a picture of my wildman at 15months in his Touriva. He was about 28lbs, 34" in this pic.

DSC02993.jpg

Here he is in his new Scenera. It is installed a bit more upright.
DSC03179.jpg

musicmaj

The comfort sport gives the most legroom. My 2 year old barely has to bend his legs in a rearfacing comfortsport.

Shaunam

Out of all the convertibles I've owned, I think the triumph advance is the roomiest, but that's just my experience so far. :)

Loves2sing

If possible financially, I would get him a Radian. I was a little more than shocked to see how much room Jenna had in that seat RF compared to the Marathon.
a523461210_119687

She was about 18 months in this picture, and unfortunatley, I don't have any good pics showing her legroom in the Marathon, but it was quite a big difference. If that is not an option, then I would probably go with the Comfortsport.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Which RF seat has more legroom? My friends youngest foster baby has mild CP and holds his legs rigid. He has some trunk weakness also. He just turned 1 last month and is over 20 pounds. We are trying to keep him RF, but he is having major issues with his legs. He pushes so hard on the seatback, that he is crying and very uncomfortable. She has tried to teach him to bend his legs, but he just won't. He even walks stiff legged on his tippy toes.

Right now he is in a RF FPSE and she has a Scenera and a CS available. I have a MA that I currently use for my little guy, but I might be able to switch seats as a last resort. She does not have funds right now to go out and buy a new seat, but I might be able to help her a little if there is anything with a lot more leg room.

So, between the FPSE, the Scenera, CS, and the MA, which has more legroom? We are going to try this weekend and see which he fits in, but insight from those with experience might save us time. Any tips besides more recline to get a little more room?

This "might" be a situation where ERF is not the best option for the child.

For many of the kids w/CP I've been around, their excess tone makes it very difficult to sit with legs extended and relaxed (up against the seat like the PO's DS, with legs dangling or crossed. I'd be concerned he would not only be extremely uncomfortable but could damage his legs/hips/back because of prolonged extension/arching.

I'd recommend having a PT observe him in his CR to assess potential harm from constant extending and recommending possible adjustments that could be made to reduce tone. [My PT friends are very quick to position kids who extend/arch in ways that make it harder for their arch/extend reflexes to be activated.]

Hopefully therapy and/or braces will help improve or balance his lower leg tone and make it easier for him sit in ways that are compatible with rear facing.

SillyLily

From experience, the radian has A LOT more RF leg room than the scenera and MA. If your friend ends up getting another seat, I would definitely look at the radian.

Other than that, I'm not much help. Sorry!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Which RF seat has more legroom?

My DD seems to have more RF leg room in her Scenera than in her MA. Part of it may be because I'm able to install the Scenera with a little more recline (because of the shorter shell in my Focus). I would also make sure that she's giving him the full 45 degree angle if at all possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC