We got our Sporty Blue True Fit! (pics)

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
I was like a kid in a candy store last night! Overall I am really impressed with this seat. The sporty blue fabric is not scratchy at all, like I thought it might be. We got the seat for DH's Jeep, which is not here today, so I installed it RF with LATCH next to DD's MA (also RF/LATCH) in my '05 Xterra. The install was easy and rock-solid (except for the controversial stability of a RF tether, which we all know is not allowed with this seat). I haven't had enough time to decide on whether DD needs to be in the bottom slots or the next ones up. We were in a hurry when I finally got her out there to "try it out" and I couldn't decide on the slots, so we defaulted to ride in the good ol' MA. The slots are in the second ones up from the bottom in the pics here (she rides in the second ones up in MA).

The harness tension adjuster is very hard to reach with this more upright RF install. The pic below of it is a straight-down shot, which doesn't give the fact that it is pretty buried much justice. We might have to start getting used to leaving the straps in the tightened position (we usually loosen them to get her out and in, then tighten them each time).

She is 25lbs so we have to use the upper seat back (must be used above 22lbs). I'm a bit worried about how it's going to fit RF in the Jeep (Wrangler). We have a Scenera in there now and the front passenger is smooshed up pretty close to the dash.

She definitely has a lot more RF leg room than she does in the MA.

Top slots are a good 17.5" with mushing the seat down a little. When I measure the MA the same way, it's about 17.25" (disclaimer: These are my personal measurements. Measurements can vary with varying installs and different measurers).

I'm not worried about the bottom and second-up slots only for RF. I don't think she would exceed the second-up slots before she exceeded 35 pounds (we probably won't make it quite that long weight-wise anyway). Definitely not saying that other kiddos couldn't exceed that second-up slot height though.

The lower harness points "communicate" (if that makes sense), which I am not used to with the MA. You can pull one side out and it pulls the other side in, it's all one piece of harness under the shell.

I really like:
Built-in lockoffs
Nice deep sides for SIP
The harness shoulder height adjustment
Lower anchor connectors
Instructions are throrugh and clear (in most places)
Crotch buckle adjuster is cool
It's a nice solid seat

Here are some pics!

P1010155.jpg
P1010156.jpg

P1010157.jpg
P1010159.jpg

P1010160.jpg
P1010161.jpg

P1010165.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Wow, that bugger is HUGE! :eek: This must be the first time I've seen pics of it next to another seat, because I knew it was big but didn't realize how big.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks for posting this. This is the first set of pic's I've seen with a view that really shows how deep the side wings are. It really looks like a nice seat. :D

I don't know what your Jeep is like, but a mom who's on this board has a radian rf'ing her in her cherokee without any problems. (I did a seat check for her last summer.) :thumbsup:

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
Wow, that bugger is HUGE!

LOL!

It really isn't *that* much bigger than the MA. It's not any more difficult to handle than the MA, that's for sure. Guess we'll have to see it next to the Scenera when the Jeep comes back! It'll surely dwarf the Scenera!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
LOL!

It really isn't *that* much bigger than the MA. It's not any more difficult to handle than the MA, that's for sure. Guess we'll have to see it next to the Scenera when the Jeep comes back! It'll surely dwarf the Scenera!

LOL, probably anything except the comfortsport would dwarf the scenera - although the comfortsport is wider and looks bulkier even if it is shorter...

tl01

Great pics of the seat. If you decide to test it out with a seat belt install, could you let me know if you decide to use both lock offs. I've been told if you have locking seat belts, you don't need to use both; however, I think I also need to use the one furthest from the seat b/c my seat belt install is tipping a bit. I'm having a hard time getting the shoulder belt part through the lock off. I'm gld you like the seat... we really like ours.

The whole "harness communication" thing had me confused for a while and makes it tricky to the straps evevn sometimes... but I'm figuring out how to do properly. Lastly, could you take a pic of your seat with the harness all the way out. I'm wondering if my harness is going to be too short for DS in a few years.

Thanks!!

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
Great pics of the seat. If you decide to test it out with a seat belt install, could you let me know if you decide to use both lock offs. I've been told if you have locking seat belts, you don't need to use both; however, I think I also need to use the one furthest from the seat b/c my seat belt install is tipping a bit. I'm having a hard time getting the shoulder belt part through the lock off. I'm gld you like the seat... we really like ours.

The whole "harness communication" thing had me confused for a while and makes it tricky to the straps evevn sometimes... but I'm figuring out how to do properly. Lastly, could you take a pic of your seat with the harness all the way out. I'm wondering if my harness is going to be too short for DS in a few years.

Thanks!!

I can definitley try it out with a seatbelt install for you.

I'll also get a pic w/ the harness all the way out.

Hopefully sometime today. :D

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
The RF seatbelt install was super easy. I was able to fit both portions of the belt through both lockoffs no problem. I did not lock the seatbelt. The tipping will probably occur whether you use the lockoff or not because the ALR will continue to "pull" the belt into the retractor in locked mode at any chance it gets (hard to explain that). So if you lock both lockoffs and not the seatbelt, you're positioning the seat and the ELR will activate in the event of a crash.

I also took some pics of the harness all the way out. Is my pic comparable to what yours looks like? I think my DD will continue to be a skinny minnie so I think she'll be OK.

P1010173.jpg
P1010172.jpg

P1010171.jpg

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
Thanks! I actuall like it pretty much too, it's nice 'n bright. I REALLY wanted the monet, but DH insisted that it match his blue Jeep. "And we don't put flowery things in the Jeep". LOL

lemonmama

Not to ask a totally off topic question but is the Marathon cover Granite? I haven't seen a close up pic of it before..it looks really nice, and soft too.

U

Unregistered

so do you think the monet has the same fabric as your Britax?

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
Not sure, but probably not by looking at pics of the Monet True Fit. They're different companies, so again, probably not.

U

Unregistered

sorry I didn't mean exact pattern but rather type of fabric (softnesswise), the print you have in grey is the silky kind. I was trying to figure out what kind of fabric sporty blue is versus say capicino/monet which look to be the silky fabric. Do you have anything to compare the true blue fabric to? Dad likes the look of the sporty blue but I know my kids have experience/like the silky so trying to figure how "nonsilky" it is :lol

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
My reply *was* regarding the texture/feel.

Hmmm...it's hard for me to think of something to compare the sporty blue texture to. It is definitely not as soft/silky as the granite MA, but every bit as comfy "looking" (since I can't actually sit in it myself). It's nicely padded and such. It's the same material that my Kolcraft contours stroller seat is made of - kind of like "backpack" material, but not scratchy at all like a backpack might be. Hope this made any sense. As for comparison with the monet, I really haven't a clue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC